Confirmed New RB Coach - Matt Merritt (from USF)

Advertisement
JT has turned out to be one of the top 3 recruiters on a staff full of them; and one of the best in the nation. I’d say that’s a hit.

Woodiel is TBD.

And we’ll see on this guy, but he was going to coordinate the running game at USF this season. I think he also had assistant HC as well.
It's nice to have international flavour on the staff, since he's from Germany. And as the game grows internationally, i.e. Canada, Mexico, Europe, etc. its nice to have people who the kids can relate too.
While I'm not even near Miami, I hear the city itself is a cosmopolitan city itself, so the staff reflects the vibe and population, starting with the Cuban.

It's nice to have international flavour on the staff, since he's from Germany. And as the game grows internationally, i.e. Canada, Mexico, Europe, etc. its nice to have people who the kids can relate too.
While I'm not even near Miami, I hear the city itself is a cosmopolitan city itself, so the staff reflects the vibe and population, starting with the Cuban.

Are you sure he is from Germany or just born there?

The number of times his teams rushed for over 3,000 yards was amazing. Granted it was against different competition but it was against peers.

Advertisement
He's here to pull long hours recruiting. This is a big opportunity for him to prove he can wrangle elite talent. There's not a ton of old pros who want part of the grind that Mario puts assistants through. Gotta go after the young go-getters.

Advertisement
How’d that big money staff work out in Mario’s first year? Also pretty sure both of our coordinators are making around a million per
Exactly. I like a staff of young, hungry dudes who nevertheless have experience doing what we are hiring them to do.

Our second round hires have been guys who look up to Mario and see him as the "biggest name" in the business they've worked for at this point.

That's important. Big money, all star staff had an undermining element that we need to avoid at all costs.

Advertisement
Beard is from Ft Lauderdale, played here, etc. Where did this guy play or come from? You nor anyone else here would know the answer to that question without looking it up. ****, I have never heard of the school. Google his name and the first thing that pops up is some famous rodeo clown and I hope he changes that.

Local kids all knew about Beard and if they didn't their parents did. There is no comparison.

I'm not here to diminish the man, as I said, I don't know him. Throw enough money at recruits and produce some results, he'll be fine. As I said, he'll go as the offense does.

Your silly *** comeback holds no water.
beard played at UM and coached at UGA and UM. Not the sexiest hire for most but our WR's improved a TON under him.

This guy seems very good at coaching, not sure how he recruits but Mario is a monster recruiter so Im not worried about it.

Nein…

The TE room really suffered last year from a lack of fundamentals (route depth, spacing, pace, etc).

Unless someone is going to hire him as a Tackles/OL coach, he’s got a lot to learn.

But who were the tight ends last season? A true freshman, and a 17 year senior who has had all the tightend coaching in world, and probably just sucks at this point if he's still having issues with the fundamentals.

Advertisement
JT has turned out to be one of the top 3 recruiters on a staff full of them; and one of the best in the nation. I’d say that’s a hit.

Woodiel is TBD.

And we’ll see on this guy, but he was going to coordinate the running game at USF this season. I think he also had assistant HC as well.
The point of my post was lost in translation. That's on me. Rereading it I can see why.

I wasn't knocking the hire(s) (which was the first line of the post). My point was, this is the difference between the guy we trust (I'm a sluper, check my posts) vs the last staffs we did not.

Mario hires a guy most of us have never heard of (Guidry for example) and he becomes someone we don't want to lose. Past staff hire guys we've never heard of (Patke, Randy Melvin, Stubblefield) and they turn out to be exactly who we expected them to be.

Addae can still take a hike. I still hope we go flashy there.

Advertisement
Back