Confirmed New RB Coach - Matt Merritt (from USF)

Meh, whatever, but good for this guy. I don't know him, the recruits won't as well, and those who recruit against him will use that. None of which means he can't be outstanding at his job, so good luck to him in it. He'll go as does the OC'er and his play calling. Give him talent to work with, recruit next, and he'll be fine. That's the case with most position coaches.

Advertisement
Meh, whatever, but good for this guy. I don't know him, the recruits won't as well, and those who recruit against him will use that. None of which means he can't be outstanding at his job, so good luck to him in it. He'll go as does the OC'er and his play calling. Give him talent to work with, recruit next, and he'll be fine. That's the case with most position coaches.
Beard came from Toledo and landed 3-4* recruits in his first cycle. Your argument holds no water.

I'm not gonna knock the hire.

I will point out that that over the last year Mario has given this guy, JT, Woodiel and both coordinators their first P5 jobs. This board would burn to the ground if this was any other coach.

Just let Addae be next (and hopefully its someone who at least has a wikipedia page).
Ehhh I’ll push back on this…

This dude has cut his teeth working his way up from D2 and G5 teams…JT has been a huge hit on the trail and his depleted unit played better than expected

Woodiel… yeah idk I can’t defend it. One of Mario’s boys I guess

Animated GIF

Advertisement
Beard came from Toledo and landed 3-4* recruits in his first cycle. Your argument holds no water.

Beard is from Ft Lauderdale, played here, etc. Where did this guy play or come from? You nor anyone else here would know the answer to that question without looking it up. ****, I have never heard of the school. Google his name and the first thing that pops up is some famous rodeo clown and I hope he changes that.

Local kids all knew about Beard and if they didn't their parents did. There is no comparison.

I'm not here to diminish the man, as I said, I don't know him. Throw enough money at recruits and produce some results, he'll be fine. As I said, he'll go as the offense does.

Your silly *** comeback holds no water.

Hard to agree with you here. With NY Carr, sure...but people in south Florida definitely know and respect Beard. All our dudes, even Jeremiah Smith, was cheering when Beard was announced as our coach. Not to knock the hire, but definitely a bad comparison

I will point out that that over the last year Mario has given this guy, JT, Woodiel and both coordinators their first P5 jobs. This board would burn to the ground if this was any other coach.

Just let Addae be next (and hopefully its someone who at least has a wikipedia page).

Considering how our “super star” staff panned out year 1, I don’t mind going this route instead.

I think Dawson was OC at Kentucky for a year.

Advertisement
I think Dawson was OC at Kentucky for a year.
I’m definitely intrigued by the pick up. He definitely would be considered a young hopefully energetic coach that can relate to younger generations. He just needs to be an open book to Mario on the recruiting trail. Immediately get information on current recruits and get in contact as soon as possible. I want to see a lot of positive energy to make up for any experience concerns.

He also needs to learn as much as possible concerning current players. Have real obtainable goals for all players. We want to see impact on the field in the spring game. All RBs should feel they are in real RB competition starting on equal ground. A true fresh start without any doghouses.

Advertisement
I like how he was doing the run game coordination at USF. He could help create some packages with Dawson. Did some good things with the USF backs last season. Also, Mario wouldn’t have hired him if he didn’t think he could recruit

Advertisement
Ehhh I’ll push back on this…

This dude has cut his teeth working his way up from D2 and G5 teams…JT has been a huge hit on the trail and his depleted unit played better than expected

Woodiel… yeah idk I can’t defend it. One of Mario’s boys I guess

Flo claims Woodiel is a beast on the trail and big programs are trying to poach

Advertisement
Back