New private school bill passed..

Private Schools and Charter Schools shouldn't be bunched together. Charter Schools are typically For Profit, Private Schools are typically Non-Profit. I'm not sure if I know of any Private For Profit Schools. The quality of education varies from school to school.

Florida Public Education is severely underfunded. This certainly isn't going to help anything.

If people have choice they can leave the schools they don’t like. So if the charter is not as good they can go to the public or private. Also most charters are not for profit lol. It’s less than half. And guess what if a profit motive helps a company put out a better product then the consumer will choose that one. Public schools have no natural fail mechanism to put them out of business if they are poorly run. At least charters can actually fail if they aren’t attractive to students.

Advertisement
I hope people realize schools are funded per student. And the vouchers are less than a public school would be given for the same student. So actually the vouchers increase left surplus money for public schools because it’s cheaper. I don’t see a problem with the state spending x amount for a kid to go to a public school, y amount to put him in a charter and Z amount to put him in a private. It literally saves money and now the student can actually decide which school is best. Free choice will allow well run schools to proliferate, and allow students in poorly run schools to have other options. We guarantee all students the right to a free education, but that doesn’t mean we should force those students to use a government run institution. Again the amount we pay for a seat at public school for a student is more than the amount that we would pay for a voucher. Either way we are paying the tuition for the student, the public school just costs more, let the student decide.
Part of the issue is the surplus from the voucher kida almost definitely won't be reinvested into public schools. The other issue is for profit institutions teaching our future. We live in a capitalistic society which can be pretty cutthroat at times, I'd hate to see charter schools taking tax payer money and cutting corners on a less fortunate kid's education to line their pockets.

Part of the issue is the surplus from the voucher kida almost definitely won't be reinvested into public schools. The other issue is for profit institutions teaching our future. We live in a capitalistic society which can be pretty cutthroat at times, I'd hate to see charter schools taking tax payer money and cutting corners on a less fortunate kid's education to line their pockets.
If the kid chooses to go there then it must be better than the public school alternative. I understand the concern, but you need to also realize public schools have many problems. And it’s hard to put a failing public school out of business, charter schools are much easier to fail because they don’t have a captive audience. This is good, also most charters are not for profits. And as long as choice is increased students will flow to the better run places and away from the worse run ones. There will be hiccups along the way, and I predict that there will be many bad charters just as bad public schools exist. But with the choice framework the students can be more proactive in not getting stuck. Also administrative costs can be higher at public schools than any profit at charter schools, so it’s still possible to have more invested in the student even with profit, though I prefer the non profit ones.

My wife teaches at a private school. Her salary is higher than a Public School teacher with the same amount of teaching experience.
There certainly are outliers but on average charter school teachers make almost 10 grand less a year in the US than public school teachers. Public school teachers have unions and are given significant raises for completing masters programs.

Understood. Though my impression is while they are on the football team they also get free room and food. As well as access to physical training. Though the last part doesn't directly help get a degree. When they come back my assumption is even if the degree is free the other stuff is gone. So if you are in a bad situation already, now having to pay for your own rent and food is going to make it even tougher. If you didn't take things seriously before then are you really going to realize your mistake, buckle down, get the degree, but now also need to have a job to take care of the other things you now have to pay for? Plus whatever financial state you thought you were going to fix by going to the NFL is probably even worst now. If its kids, they are older and going to take up even more time. Medical in the family, it has probably gotten worse. So on.

A few guys I know that went to Marshall got dismissed finished their eligibility at a D2 HBCU only to come back to Marshall and finish their degrees.

Advertisement
Do you teach in Florida? More specifically, Dade or Broward county?

Here is what you need to know about teacher salaries. It doesn't matter where you are...

If you're a ****, lazy teacher, your pay is ****. If you are a good teacher that has a full schedule, advanced degrees, multiple roles, your pay is fine. Underpaid still...sure. But the pay is plenty livable, even in expensive areas and your salary could be very good.

Public school offers very little salary flexibility, but job security. Charter and Private offer a lot more salary flexibility, but again, less job security...if you're an underperforming teacher, your salary will be poor wherever you go. If you're a good teacher and you're making real unlivable **** money, you just got a bad beat.

There certainly are outliers but on average charter school teachers make almost 10 grand less a year in the US than public school teachers. Public school teachers have unions and are given significant raises for completing masters programs.

So do charter school teachers.

Why is any talk on teacher salary? The student is who we need to be worrying about. Teaching is a competitive job to get, and it comes with a rewarding experience and summers off. If charters had ****** teachers students would not go there, but evidently they seem to be able to attract just as good teachers as the public schools. Also I’m not convinced a masters degree makes someone a better teacher anyway. Public schools are better for teacher unions that’s a fact, but my priority is the student. Also charter schools are very flexible and innovative, one in NYC is experimenting with a 100k salary for teachers, so if it turns out well others can follow.

Most schools now offer lifetime scholarships. Alot of players are going back and getting their degrees because the APR now counts for 6 years
Yep I know Miami does it and a lot more do so as well. Just because they left early doesn’t mean they don’t/can’t get their degree. That’s one myth that should be gone.

Advertisement
This is why:

And this is why:

There are countless others. You can’t equate better with throwing more money at every situation, Especially when it comes to the government.

Giving individual children a choice, no matter what their financial situation, should be celebrated not mired down by group think that those kids getting a chance somehow negates one for another.

Then I ask this, Why is it that Charter schools and Private Schools are preceived to be better than Public Schools if all is equal?

I'm not sure why you keep lumping Charter Schools and Private Schools together. Charter school teachers typically make less than public school teachers. Private schools vary by school.

Advertisement
As with most threads there's alot of trash with a few educated comments, so let's get some things straight so we can continue an actually very interesting OT conversation. I will speak to what I know about Florida schools, specifically Broward, as that's where I've lived my whole life.

The three types of Schools in Florida:

Public- Free to attend and very underfunded compared to the rest of the country. Florida ranks 42th(1) in public school funding per pupil, 40th in dropout rate (2), 42nd in teacher pay (3), and 45th in SAT score (INCLUDING US TERRITORIES, WE ONLY BEAT PUERTO RICO BY 14 POINTS ON A 1600 POINT SCALE). Broward County (4), in particular, fared even worse and couldn't even break a thousand with an average score of 983. To put it simply Florida public schools are laugh-so-you-don't-cry bad.

Charter- Still free to attend, but if there was some way to make public schools worse, they found the answer in charter schools. While only 15% of charter schools nationwide are for profit, 45% of the ones in FL are, and they are just as sharky, greedy, and morally bankrupt as you're thinking someone who tries to make money by cutting costs while educating students would be. There are some shining stars, however, when almost half the Charter schools in FL's main priority is ROE instead of ACT, it outshines any good legit charter schools do. Oh and to top it off, remember that stat from above on how FL teachers make less than the rest of the country, yea Charter schools are way worse.

Private- Florida is home to some of the most elite, highest performing, yet EXPENSIVE primary schools on earth. Yes on earth. There ARE some "bargain" buys out there. The much talked about STA is one of them. It's about 13k a year, but has an average ACT score of 28, will get your kid into Free shoes at the worst, and gives your kid a good chance to go somewhere quality like UM on scholarship. The downside to all this is yes, it's expensive. 13k is twice the value of my car, 24% of the median income in Broward, and for you Miami natives about 7.2 tables at LIV. The integral part about private schools is almost all of them are non-profit. I don't know of one in the SE3C (Broward, Dade, WPB) that is titled Private and not non-profit. They put every dollar they receive into giving your kid the best education they can, and most do an objectively significantly better job than the state can.

Conclusion/My thoughts: I believe in capitalism. When its Government Vs. the private sector, Private sector wins every time IF the market is properly run. I also believe every student has the right to free education, and the state needs to do a turnaround job of providing that. I think that this voucher program will give many lower-middle-class families that couldn't afford schools like STA before a chance to give their kids an education previously unattainable for them. It gives those families that choice. In honesty even if Desantis made it his top priority this second, it would probably take an entire generation to see real change in rankings and facilities.

How this will affect football? Not at all. This voucher program is for education. Private schools prioritize grades over ALL when it comes to admissions, the scholly allotment set aside for athletes won't be affected. Those kids will still go for "AcEdEmIcs" and not pay a dime, but hey that's the freedom being a private entity gives you.

Source:
1. 2016 Annual Survey of School System Finances, U.S. Census Bureau
2. US Department of Education 2014-15
3. 2015 Annual Survey of School System Finances, U.S. Census Bureau
4. Florida dept of education website

Here is what you need to know about teacher salaries. It doesn't matter where you are...

If you're a ****, lazy teacher, your pay is ****. If you are a good teacher that has a full schedule, advanced degrees, multiple roles, your pay is fine. Underpaid still...sure. But the pay is plenty livable, even in expensive areas and your salary could be very good.

Public school offers very little salary flexibility, but job security. Charter and Private offer a lot more salary flexibility, but again, less job security...if you're an underperforming teacher, your salary will be poor wherever you go. If you're a good teacher and you're making real unlivable **** money, you just got a bad beat.

No longer the case. Public school contracts in Florida are evaluated on a year to year basis. Meaning, if you're a poor teacher, you can get fired now. While technically, you could have the opportunity to be granted significant raises at a private/charter school if the school's owner deems you're worthy, in most cases it doesn't happen.
http://www.in-perspective.org/pages/teachers-and-teaching-at-charter-schools

From the article "Traditional public school teachers' average salary was $53,400 whereas charter school teachers' average salary was $44,500." So, yes there are certainly outliers where deserving charter teachers are rewarded with higher salary, on average, it's not the case.

Advertisement
Yeah I’m sure those poor ******** that teach there are laughing all the way to the bank cause their so well paid, and love going into their own pockets to pay for school supplies that the public schools can’t afford to front. Some Florida counties there’s so much money they don’t know where to spend it all. Like on repairs of aging infrastructure, mold remediation, or even replace book, BOOKS for christ’s Sake, that are 5-10 yrs out of date. Yep, ***king hilarious. The last god **** thing we need is to spend PUBLIC TAX FUNDS, on private education. They are businesses, like any business they should sink or swim on their on merits. Public education has a myriad of problems, taking or reducing public funds away will only lessen finding and funding solutions. Just Sayin’

Hey slick where did I say teachers were overpaid? I said public schools aren't under funded:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/020915/what-country-spends-most-education.asp

You ever think that possibly instead of throwing more money at a broken system maybe we should figure out where all the wasted money is going and correct that? This might be earth shattering news for some but government usually isn't wise spenders of our money. Honestly with technology today why can't kids get their education at home online? I bet we would save millions giving every kid in America a laptop to learn at home than what were doing now. Oh wait the teacher's unions probably would be against that. Oh well they're doing such a terrific job now let's not change anything at all.

No longer the case. Public school contracts in Florida are evaluated on a year to year basis. Meaning, if you're a poor teacher, you can get fired now. While technically, you could have the opportunity to be granted significant raises at a private/charter school if the school's owner deems you're worthy, in most cases it doesn't happen.
http://www.in-perspective.org/pages/teachers-and-teaching-at-charter-schools

From the article "Traditional public school teachers' average salary was $53,400 whereas charter school teachers' average salary was $44,500." So, yes there are certainly outliers where deserving charter teachers are rewarded with higher salary, on average, it's not the case.

Listen brother...I know all of that...what you need to understand is that charter schools have a lot of new and ****ty teachers while public schools include a lot of tenured teachers that have been in the system longer (trying to get those retirement benefits) and that skews those salary numbers.

Yes, there is a lot of principal turnover, but the reason why...charter schools are usually owned by a company with multiple...and they rotate through principals in the same charter school system. Its not uncommon for a system to have a start up principal to establish, one that then helps get the school to higher achievement scores, and then another to take it to the next level. Clearly, there are tons of trash, young, inexperienced principals, too...but the turnover numbers are skewed. Some of that is purposeful.

If we are talking salary potential...charter schools.

That is not what is being discussed. What is being discussed it taking public tax money that would go to Public Schools are instead being given out to kids to attend private schools. If you want to attend a private school either A. You pay for it or B. The school provides scholarships from Private donations.

Public Money should ONLY go towards Public Education.
Your statement simply makes way too much sense.

Wanna know why public schools are underfunded? The County School Boards (at least Miami-Dade) have bloated departments where people get paid a **** ton of money to fan their asses.
MDCPS cares more about what the buildings look like from the outside versus what's going on inside. There are schools that have been low performing forever, their answer let's throw school grades out there, there are plenty of C schools where the students are far below grade level,
school grades total farce, may sound nice to say no F schools in Dade, but all for show. You want to fix inner city schools and truly improve
student performance cut class size in half, not on paper but in the class rooms, not that hard to figure out. Spend the money on the inside,
not the outward appearance.

Advertisement
Back