New private school bill passed..

Advertisement
The article lost me at this would affect cash-strapped schools. Have we not see the money that schools like FSU and UF spend on athletics in terms of facilities?

Edit: Point of this post is to illustrate how public schools (particularly at the collegiate level which uses the same budget) misappropriates funds and takes away from other important areas.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is the section that should be called the Josh Jobe Rule

"The new voucher program would place priority on the students from the lowest-income families. All students in the program would be eligible until they graduate high school or turn 21, whichever comes first. "

"The new voucher program would place priority on the students from the lowest-income families. All students in the program would be eligible until they graduate high school or turn 21, whichever comes first. "
That's because no one with any financial resources would send their kids to these parasitic and inept operations like Ms. (as in miserable) DeVos supports.

You don't think St. Thomas or Heritage get who they want with scholarships attached? I know DeMatha here in DMV gives out schollies.

That is not what is being discussed. What is being discussed it taking public tax money that would go to Public Schools are instead being given out to kids to attend private schools. If you want to attend a private school either A. You pay for it or B. The school provides scholarships from Private donations.

Public Money should ONLY go towards Public Education.

Advertisement
The article lost me at this would affect cash-strapped schools. Have we not see the money that schools like FSU and UF spend on athletics in terms of facilities?

Edit: Point of this post is to illustrate how public schools (particularly at the collegiate level which uses the same budget) misappropriates funds and takes away from other important areas.

I have not read the article or the bill yet, but my guess is it has to deal with primary (high school, middle school, elementary school) and not secondary (college/universities) schools.

What makes this worst is that Florida is rated near the bottom in public school education and possibly have some of the worst the worst inner-city public school systems in the country. And instead of using that money to improve the schools and they will instead put that money to pull possibly the brightest kids and the best athletes out of the public system leaving the public schools to really turn into a cesspool and truly becoming a public school to Public and Private prison pipeline.

That is not what is being discussed. What is being discussed it taking public tax money that would go to Public Schools are instead being given out to kids to attend private schools. If you want to attend a private school either A. You pay for it or B. The school provides scholarships from Private donations.

Public tax money is being given to OWNERS of private schools.

Advertisement

No, I was responding to his statement about impacting public high school football. Because for schools like St. Thomas or Heritage or in my area DeMatha is really has no impact.

I was not commenting on the efficacy of giving low income children vouchers to escape public schools within their districts that are failing.

That’s great for the kids who end up getting those schollies, but what about the kids staying at the already severely underfunded public school with a now even tighter budget?

People wonder why we can’t improve our public schools drastically.

Advertisement

FUNNY.gif

What will be something to watch is if these private schools will start to raise their tuition essentially requiring more public money.

What makes this worst is that Florida is rated near the bottom in public school education and possibly have some of the worst the worst inner-city public school systems in the country. And instead of using that money to improve the schools and they will instead put that money to pull possibly the brightest kids and the best athletes out of the public system leaving the public schools to really turn into a cesspool and truly becoming a public school to Public and Private prison pipeline.

It was brought to my attention that those rankings aren't based on how well the students test or do in the future. It is heavily weighted toward how much money is paid to schools. Supposedly Florida use to be ranked rather highly but when we started to implement school choice programs they got ticked off and changed around the rankings to heavily weigh how much money is spent rather than base it on results. I believe the article says that as far as results Florida is still doing pretty good.

Public tax money is being given to OWNERS of private schools.
This. Private and Charter schools are FOR PROFIT enterprises. That means that owners can save money by cutting corners and paying the staff significantly less than public school staffs make. Essentially, if you're teaching at a charter school, it's because you couldn't get a public school job. Either that or you just like making far less money for doing the same job.

Advertisement
Back