New private school bill passed..

Why should academically gifted students mired in poorly performing schools get the opportunity to better themselves in a private institution they could normally not afford?

You need to be careful when you use words like only and never dude.

Why not use that money to fix the issue with those schools? Also these grants arent for academically better students just students with low income.

Advertisement
So, public funds shouldn't be used to pay private contractors to build roads, bridges, or water treatment plants?

This is not a simple campaign slogan issue. Many public schools fail because of poor administration decisions. Others fail because of their disinterested student base. The idea behind vouchers is that kids should not be forced to attend crap schools and that not having "guaranteed " funds will force bad schools to become better. Could they be misused too? Sure, but right now 100% government run schools are failing in many areas. Why condemn kids-simply to guarantee that crap schools continue to exist?

Those schools are failing becauae the Government allowed them to fail overtime.

The bold is some of the fakest news I've read on this site. Its simply not true.

Where are you getting your information then? I know three former private/charter school teachers and a current charter school principal. All of the teachers left their charter school jobs for public school jobs because the salary was significantly higher. My charter school principal friend not only makes SIGNIFICANTLY less than a public school principal, she struggles to fill teaching vacancies because they just don't pay nearly as much as public schools. The owner of her school determines the budget and he's only concerned with maximizing his profit. It is a FOR PROFIT business and the people running them are solely looking to make themselves as much money as possible.

My mother recently retired form the Broward County School Board after 30+ years as a teacher, assistant principal, principal and school board member. I'm well versed in the way the school systems work.

It's also a myth that private/charter schools do better than public schools. It's really a socio-economic issue. The private/charter schools in more well-off areas tend to do very well. The charter schools in lower income areas (pretty much 100% funded by vouchers) tend to fail quite often. Just like the public schools in the wealthy suburbs are usually A-B rated and the public schools in the poor neighborhoods tend to be D-F rated.

Where are you getting your information then? I know three former private/charter school teachers and a current charter school principal. All of the teachers left their charter school jobs for public school jobs because the salary was significantly higher. My charter school principal friend not only makes SIGNIFICANTLY less than a public school principal, she struggles to fill teaching vacancies because they just don't pay nearly as much as public schools. The owner of her school determines the budget and he's only concerned with maximizing his profit. It is a FOR PROFIT business and the people running them are solely looking to make themselves as much money as possible.

My mother recently retired form the Broward County School Board after 30+ years as a teacher, assistant principal, principal and school board member. I'm well versed in the way the school systems work.

Personal experience.

Advertisement
This. Private and Charter schools are FOR PROFIT enterprises. That means that owners can save money by cutting corners and paying the staff significantly less than public school staffs make. Essentially, if you're teaching at a charter school, it's because you couldn't get a public school job. Either that or you just like making far less money for doing the same job.

I am a teacher at a charter school and I make more than I did when I worked in the same county for the public schools.
Now, private schools.... they pay like crap usually, but the kids are easier to manage because the parents are financially invested in the school.

Why not use that money to fix the issue with those schools? Also these grants arent for academically better students just students with low income.

This is why:

And this is why:

There are countless others. You can’t equate better with throwing more money at every situation, Especially when it comes to the government.

Giving individual children a choice, no matter what their financial situation, should be celebrated not mired down by group think that those kids getting a chance somehow negates one for another.

Your Tax bill? No one gives a **** about your meager tax bill. There are people who don’t even have kids and their taxes go towards schools, *******!

No, you can **** off along with the Tebow’s and ********s like yourself who leach off the public schools you don’t want to be a part of! Want to play on the team then join the school. Or build your own ******* facilities; join with other social lepers who believe their superior “politics”, “religion”, “culture”, “intelligence (?)” preclude them deigning to send their kids to the public school - and go play with each other.
Lol, you're clearly a product of the lowest common denominator.

It's also a myth that private/charter schools do better than public schools. It's really a socio-economic issue. The private/charter schools in more well-off areas tend to do very well. The charter schools in lower income areas (pretty much 100% funded by vouchers) tend to fail quite often. Just like the public schools in the wealthy suburbs are usually A-B rated and the public schools in the poor neighborhoods tend to be D-F rated.

It is a lot of this. It depends on the kids and the families and the community. Some things you can clean up and improve. Since all these workers are people then yes some teachers will be better than others and some principles will be better. Though if the families and the community put a value on education then the majority of the work is done. Some of the worst areas offer teachers more money. While I think offering in general more money across the board might bring in more competition for teachers and also having better facilities would help. At only becomes incremental and isn't going to help all the bigger issues.

You can see the mindset in here when it comes time for some players to declare early for the draft. Many of the fans of Miami aren't even valuing the degree. Always have the same people shouting how they need to go make the money instead of playing for free type garbage. Then when the kid doesn't make a team they now don't have the degree and are in a worst spot in trying to finish that degree to actually help make a living. I would imagine even our best teams full of pro bowlers and hall of famers, still had the majority of its players not even sniffing the league and needed to rely on the degree to help them earn a better living. Would guess the numbers for even Alabama, Clemson, and UGA right now are the same where most will need the degree because it will not be football that gets them their money.

Advertisement
Those home schooled "leeches" you refer to also get an infinitely better education on the whole. I'm also not talking about fringe religious element, think you would be surprised how many secular parents are pulling their kids out of the public school systems because of the lack of an education. Teaching to a test is not an education either.

Those home schooled "leeches" you refer to also get an infinitely better education on the whole. I'm also not talking about fringe religious element, think you would be surprised how many secular parents are pulling their kids out of the public school systems because of the lack of an education. Teaching to a test is not an education either.

Im also of the belief that home-school kids shouldnt be able to play for Public Schools. If the private schools want to take them in, sure but not the public schools

It is a lot of this. It depends on the kids and the families and the community. Some things you can clean up and improve. Since all these workers are people then yes some teachers will be better than others and some principles will be better. Though if the families and the community put a value on education then the majority of the work is done. Some of the worst areas offer teachers more money. While I think offering in general more money across the board might bring in more competition for teachers and also having better facilities would help. At only becomes incremental and isn't going to help all the bigger issues.

You can see the mindset in here when it comes time for some players to declare early for the draft. Many of the fans of Miami aren't even valuing the degree. Always have the same people shouting how they need to go make the money instead of playing for free type garbage. Then when the kid doesn't make a team they now don't have the degree and are in a worst spot in trying to finish that degree to actually help make a living. I would imagine even our best teams full of pro bowlers and hall of famers, still had the majority of its players not even sniffing the league and needed to rely on the degree to help them earn a better living. Would guess the numbers for even Alabama, Clemson, and UGA right now are the same where most will need the degree because it will not be football that gets them their money.

Most schools now offer lifetime scholarships. Alot of players are going back and getting their degrees because the APR now counts for 6 years

Advertisement

My wife made more as a first year teacher at a public school than the principal of the private school in our area. Teacher's pay is terrible but private school salary is **** near poverty

I am a teacher at a charter school and I make more than I did when I worked in the same county for the public schools.
Now, private schools.... they pay like crap usually, but the kids are easier to manage because the parents are financially invested in the school.
Do you teach in Florida? More specifically, Dade or Broward county?

Most schools now offer lifetime scholarships. Alot of players are going back and getting their degrees because the APR now counts for 6 years

Understood. Though my impression is while they are on the football team they also get free room and food. As well as access to physical training. Though the last part doesn't directly help get a degree. When they come back my assumption is even if the degree is free the other stuff is gone. So if you are in a bad situation already, now having to pay for your own rent and food is going to make it even tougher. If you didn't take things seriously before then are you really going to realize your mistake, buckle down, get the degree, but now also need to have a job to take care of the other things you now have to pay for? Plus whatever financial state you thought you were going to fix by going to the NFL is probably even worst now. If its kids, they are older and going to take up even more time. Medical in the family, it has probably gotten worse. So on.

Advertisement

Private Schools and Charter Schools shouldn't be bunched together. Charter Schools are typically For Profit, Private Schools are typically Non-Profit. I'm not sure if I know of any Private For Profit Schools. The quality of education varies from school to school.

Florida Public Education is severely underfunded. This certainly isn't going to help anything.

My wife teaches at a private school. Her salary is higher than a Public School teacher with the same amount of teaching experience.

Why are people against vouchers? As a parent I can now choose where my child can go.. I may have to pay the difference for a better private school but thats my choice should a voucher not cover the cost. If the public school has better results my daughter will go there. Why are democrats anti-choice?
Democrats are pro-choice depending on the issue.

I hope people realize schools are funded per student. And the vouchers are less than a public school would be given for the same student. So actually the vouchers increase left over surplus money for education because it’s cheaper. I don’t see a problem with the state spending x amount for a kid to go to a public school, y amount to put him in a charter and Z amount to put him in a private. It literally saves money and now the student can actually decide which school is best. Free choice will allow well run schools to proliferate, and allow students in poorly run schools to have other options. We guarantee all students the right to a free education, but that doesn’t mean we should force those students to use a government run institution. Again the amount we pay for a seat at public school for a student is more than the amount that we would pay for a voucher. Either way we are paying the tuition for the student, the public school just costs more, let the student decide.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back