New OL offer Michael Mclaughlin (Commits!)

Awesome strategy. Find strong, athletic guys and build them into OTs. Worked with Zion

To be fair, we don't know quite yet whether it worked with Zion. I like what I've heard about him, but he needs to show it on the field before we say "it worked."

That said, I like the type of Tackles Barry is going after. With the emphasize on fast DEs that can get after the QB, you need quick OTs. You still want the thick road-grader types at Guard (and maybe right tackle), but not at OT.

Advertisement
when you see the donnell harris' of the world running around all these bigger dudes it makes sense that tackle is changing with end

I am guessing you think this is mistake because the kid isn't a highly touted tackle already. Just for kicks and giggles Eric Winston had the same build as this guy coming out of HS. I will let the OL coach do his job.
You guessed wrong.

Advertisement
Over the years we've turned a number of big TEs into OTs, with great success. Two that come to mind are Mark Cooper and Eric Winston. We also moved Carlos Etheridge to OL, maybe guard.

Advertisement
To be fair, we don't know quite yet whether it worked with Zion. I like what I've heard about him, but he needs to show it on the field before we say "it worked."

That said, I like the type of Tackles Barry is going after. With the emphasize on fast DEs that can get after the QB, you need quick OTs. You still want the thick road-grader types at Guard (and maybe right tackle), but not at OT.
He got in the two deep, I didn’t get there by accident.

Idk why, but I really have a good feeling about coach Barry and he’s going to be here for awhile 🤞🏾
Coach is putting the claw on recruiting...
ecefh.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Clearly doesn’t understand he’s in SoFlo now and needs to start acting like a diva. Miss me with that maturity !!
All the more reason I like our chances. A smart, well adjusted young man who has a good head on his shoulders can see our value proposition is actually far stronger than 40k from some shady oil guy to go to LSU and coming a little short of "earning" a LSU General Studies degree if they don't make the league. Smart non-divas, almost paradoxically will be the way "back" for us. I want talent period. When that talent is focused, responsible, hard working and committed, all the better. I'm sure Rivers turned down some pretty sizable bag offers to come with us. Jalen Rivers also has a 4.3 GPA and wants to be a computer science engineer. A degree from the marquee school in an economically exploding region is a tremendous value, and we want to identify and prioritize guys that "get it."

Of course talent trumps all, but when it's in talent close non-divas should be highly prized because they are far more likely to actualize and maximize their potential. Guys like Khris Bogle, NuKeese Richardson, Josh Jobe. Sam Bruce, Antonio Callaway, Dionte Mullins, Travonte Valentine etc are very often more trouble than they're worth. Keeping it most real, Jeff Thomas also falls into that camp. On the O-Line especially, it is critical to land multiple strong, lean, tall, long guys every year, have them gain good mass/functional strength with a redshirt and improve technique. In a couple years we will be running on everybody and providing clean pockets. OLinemen have to be unselfish, intelligent, and constructively violent.

For a guy like Van Dyke (who I think will be a multiple year starter and NFL QB), we MUST contain speed rushers. Enos runs a pro style scheme. We can't keep trotting out turnstiles like Trevor Darling, Gauthier, Kennedy, Herbert, Dykstra etc

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back