2022 New Offer 2022 OT Matthew Mccoy; Picks Miami

Advertisement
Some of you complain Mario is just a star ***** and then complain when he offers a project lol
Fa real lol. From the videos I saw, Mario and Mirabal are great teachers and if the guy has the things you can teach and can grasp the teachings they will succeed. This kid has the size and athleticism they like. And I don’t think he can commit to Miami right now if he wanted to. Let it play out.

I know rankings doesn't mean everything but sheesh....why did we not keep the kid Flip from GA if we were going to swing and miss and wind up with Plan Cs anyway?

Not to be a debbie downer but I'm not happy about this one.....REALLY REALLY hope that this kid is Zion 2.0
Flip was more of a project than this kid, due to his being basically new to football. So if we were to get this kid, I would consider it a decent upgrade. We got some ground to make up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
St. Johns (Fla.) Creekside OT Matthew McCoy took a Cane official visit in December when Manny Diaz and his staff were in place.

Now, with Mario Cristobal running the show? McCoy is coming back for another official visit. “I just talked to the O line coach (Alex Mirabal), he said they’re going to figure out some time in January for me to visit, probably the 14th,” McCoy said.

He also plans to set up January visits to Florida and UCF, and Maryland also remains in his picture. McCoy was not recruited by Mirabal to Oregon but has formed a quick bond with the coach. “He sounds like a great guy, you know?” McCoy said. “He keeps in a lot of contact with me, really wants me and I really appreciate that. I like him, how he is and how he recruits.”McCoy says the aforementioned top four on his list are all even and that “I have to go on some more visits” before figuring out where things shake out.

“I haven’t decided when I’ll announce a decision either,” McCoy says. So what does he want to see on his second Cane official visit? “Just see how the players react to the new coaches, how they are treated, and seeing the coaches coming in, what’s going on, talking to the players,” McCoy said. He adds that what he likes about UM is “It’s a private school with a great education, that’s really important. And Miami’s a great place, too, a great environment.”

Josh Conerly Jr. and Dave Iuli are other February signees the Canes are pushing hard to land, and we feel good about UM picking up Iuli with Conerly more of a longshot. As for McCoy? If Cristobal/Mirabal continue to push hard and the visit goes well there’s no reason Miami can’t land two of its three top 2022 OL targets in February, with an outside shot at all three.

Advertisement
OL is both a position where u can celebrate big time recruits but also stay optimistic for lower ranked players. If a guy is 6'5, 280...his body can totally transform if he gets to 310-320. Its much different than skill positions. OL is one position where u cannot question either the evaluation and coaching of the incoming staff. We will need specimens on the line, but not all specimens are fully developed or finishing growing at 17,18 years old.

Even without the 'another interior mauler,' that's a **** of a haul.

I rarely am a "blindly trust the coaches" poster, but re: OL right now, pretty close.

plus, as you know, OL is THE hardest position to project from high school to college.

I spent my athletic life playing, coaching, and studying the QB position.

And I would say my "hit rate" on QB projections from HS to College is still no better than 60-65%

for OL? it's probably more like 25-30%.

there are just as many 4 star OL's who turn into JAG's, as there are 3 Stars who end up with 7 year NFL careers

Advertisement
plus, as you know, OL is THE hardest position to project from high school to college.

I spent my athletic life playing, coaching, and studying the QB position.

And I would say my "hit rate" on QB projections from HS to College is still no better than 60-65%

for OL? it's probably more like 25-30%.

there are just as many 4 star OL's who turn into JAG's, as there are 3 Stars who end up with 7 year NFL careers

As a casual fan, OL is the hardest to project since to me it's the position that stands to make the most gains in terms of strength and weight (could be loss for weight in some cases) to go along with the technical aspects of the position. QB not a far second.

After going in-home with Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove Top247 defensive lineman Christen Miller on Monday, Mario Cristobal and other UM staffers are planning to be in the living room of another prospect on Tuesday.

That would be St. Augustine Creekside offensive lineman Matthew McCoy.

Cristobal and Alex Mirabal brought the 6-foot-6, 285-pounder back for a second official visit earlier this month after getting him on campus the first time the weekend prior to Manny Diaz’s departure.

Following the in-home visit on Tuesday, McCoy will make his way to Florida for an official visit. Sources familiar with the recruitment believe it is a traditional Miami-UF battle for the North Florida native.

As things stand, Miami has no offensive linemen in their Class of 2022, though things seem to be trending in the right direction for Puyallup (Wash.) four-star Dave Iuli, who was at one point committed to Mirabal and Cristobal at Oregon.

Miami also expects former Oregon offensive lineman Logan Sagapolu to be a Hurricane ahead of Wednesday’s spring registration deadline.

After going in-home with Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove Top247 defensive lineman Christen Miller on Monday, Mario Cristobal and other UM staffers are planning to be in the living room of another prospect on Tuesday.

That would be St. Augustine Creekside offensive lineman Matthew McCoy.

Cristobal and Alex Mirabal brought the 6-foot-6, 285-pounder back for a second official visit earlier this month after getting him on campus the first time the weekend prior to Manny Diaz’s departure.

Following the in-home visit on Tuesday, McCoy will make his way to Florida for an official visit. Sources familiar with the recruitment believe it is a traditional Miami-UF battle for the North Florida native.

As things stand, Miami has no offensive linemen in their Class of 2022, though things seem to be trending in the right direction for Puyallup (Wash.) four-star Dave Iuli, who was at one point committed to Mirabal and Cristobal at Oregon.

Miami also expects former Oregon offensive lineman Logan Sagapolu to be a Hurricane ahead of Wednesday’s spring registration deadline.
McCoy and Iuli are starting to feel like must gets. We need some young talent Coach Mirabal can mold.

Advertisement
Back