New "football agent" policy

Advertisement
Counter intuitive, they keep putting more restrictions in place which hurt the student-athlete more than helping. There's no state legal issue at play so this is not going to deter agents from reaching out to players. Instead there should be more open communication between agents, the department and the players so that information and advice is more readily available. This will be my second year in a row with a UM player and I'm not able to even be inside at pro day to work for my client and talk to scouts there. Their reasoning is that they don't want us around the underclassmen. What happened last year instead was a bunch of agents hanging out in the parking lots talking to players as they were going in and out of the building and compliance had no idea rather than just keeping us all inside in a designated section.

I hear you, Austin, but the problem is, there will always be guys hanging out in parking lots.

Plus, I don't see the rule as prohibiting contact. they just want it to be highly controlled.

And I agree with the sentiment on the board. This is all a reaction to the Peter Ariz's of the world.

This has all the hallmarks of typical leftist legislation. Find something you don’t like. Ignore the underlying root issues/causes. Purport to ban it.

This would make most kids at UM rule breakers at some point, many without even knowing it. It doesn’t just say don’t meet with an agent. It says you can’t even talk to anyone who works for an agency. Not even the hot chick receptionist you grew up with? Not even your best friend who got an internship there?

UM has a CULTURE problem and once again, they’re blaming the kids. They’re making potential rule breakers out of everyone, clearly won’t enforce this equally, and kids can’t even know whether they’re really complying.

Sad. No doubt this came from Blake and his comrade chica.

Sounds like most all legislation.

Two sides of the same coin.

Advertisement
I hear you, Austin, but the problem is, there will always be guys hanging out in parking lots.

Plus, I don't see the rule as prohibiting contact. they just want it to be highly controlled.

And I agree with the sentiment on the board. This is all a reaction to the Peter Ariz's of the world.
No doubt there are well-meaning and legit folks like Austin. Problem is the industry itself is a big hustle and has long had some folks with questionable integrity. ****roaches slithering around the program aren't a good thing. Couple that with the fact Miami has a track record of stepping in **** when it comes to NCAA matters, it's clear that the school wants to get in front of the issue. It helps to be pro-active by having written guidelines in the event of future player-agent amateurism issues. The elephant in the room with the NCAA is always institutional control, so Miami can't be accused of lacking.

Also, it's comical to hear agent-types *****ing about not having access to their players during pro days at Miami. Really? What's the agent doing, wiping sweat from the kid's brow? Whispering encouragement in his ear? Telling Bill Belichick or some player personnel guy to take a free-agent flyer on his guy? Get over it.

This has all the hallmarks of typical leftist legislation. Find something you don’t like. Ignore the underlying root issues/causes. Purport to ban it.

This would make most kids at UM rule breakers at some point, many without even knowing it. It doesn’t just say don’t meet with an agent. It says you can’t even talk to anyone who works for an agency. Not even the hot chick receptionist you grew up with? Not even your best friend who got an internship there?

UM has a CULTURE problem and once again, they’re blaming the kids. They’re making potential rule breakers out of everyone, clearly won’t enforce this equally, and kids can’t even know whether they’re really complying.

Sad. No doubt this came from Blake and his comrade chica.

This is it.

Advertisement
seriously??? exactly what do you think is the average IQ of the people involved here?
Well they are all at least 3 years into a great private education, if not graduated. More importantly, as my previous post states, Miami has legitimate NFL people give them realistic evaluations; it's not just money hungry agents.

What this will mean is a bunch more player suspensions. The University can't discipline the agents.

So a very convincing person that no one wants around the players hires the one person who already knows all the players from his days as a recruiting expert....

Stunning..
Basic concept and obvious as can be but you guys give pete and ivins and these people like him way to much credit. It's an assumption without much merit to assume these kids had much of anything to do with at any point in time these so called experts. Most of those dudes reach out through social media or some distant tie. They dont have real relations with many kids because all of us as family make sure our family understands this reporter is simply interested in spinning things in whatever way that makes himself and the university look good. They have a very basic relationship with many kids but it's the equivalent of having a toe nail in the door.

Because censorship has such a great record of results?

Banning things doesn’t prevent access to them. It typically just makes it all happen in the dark.

Banning information is a complete failure of an idea UM should be embarrassed to be pursuing in the golden age of information flow.
Brother you're forgetting mandy is a politicians son through and through. When have politicians ever wanted to bring truth to light? It's a good idea at its root because hes addressing a very real problem that's plagued the university for a minute now. However he needs to refine his brush strokes.

Advertisement
Yes there’s shady agents out here but banning agents from being around the school won’t make a difference. Several ways to reach to kids without direct contact. Most common way is players in the league linking up and vouching for these agents. Kids are only committing for 3 year now. Until Miami wins consistently then you’ll see less 3 and out. This is not a culture issue.

Honest question: What are the actual benefits to UM and its players in allowing agents access to the players before their eligibility expires?

Clearly, there are a lot of benefits to the agents, but I’ve seen nothing of value to UM or the players that comes from agents having access during their eligibility.

If a player declares early or uses all his eligibility he can then have all the access he wants to whatever agents are willing to talk to him.

Advertisement
Honest question: What are the actual benefits to UM and its players in allowing agents access to the players before their eligibility expires?

Clearly, there are a lot of benefits to the agents, but I’ve seen nothing of value to UM or the players that comes from agents having access during their eligibility.

If a player declares early or uses all his eligibility he can then have all the access he wants to whatever agents are willing to talk to him.
Obviously I’m very biased, but it’s a relationship based business and a quick turnaround from the end of the season to when guys begin training and have all star games. It can be hard to make the right decision for them if they’re just beginning their process after their last game and don’t get much time to know the people that they consider. Not sure if UM being a private school would affect things in this situation but it seems like a restraint on trade since state law allows any enrolled college athlete to speak with agents. With that said I want these juniors to return as bad as everyone else here and would say probably 90% of them in the last decade here made bad choices in leaving when you weigh the risks of each side.

****, you guys are slow

Wtf is this? Dork Catholic School kid dances. Okay. Cut to fairly hot chick. Strange. Back to dork dancing. What the f? Is this an inside joke on Ariz? And finish up with some middle school basketball rim dunks.

Nothing more than a huge distraction to the underclassman. One they can ill afford trying to deal with everything involved in being a college student/athlete.

Advertisement
Back