New "football agent" policy

If a player declares early or uses all his eligibility he can then have all the access he wants to whatever agents are willing to talk to him.

That's the problem, once a CFB player declares early, they forego their remaining eligibility to play football, not so in basketball.

**** the NCAA was talking about letting undrafted CBK players come back...makes no sense.

Advertisement
Honest question: What are the actual benefits to UM and its players in allowing agents access to the players before their eligibility expires?

Clearly, there are a lot of benefits to the agents, but I’ve seen nothing of value to UM or the players that comes from agents having access during their eligibility.

If a player declares early or uses all his eligibility he can then have all the access he wants to whatever agents are willing to talk to him.
You’re asking the wrong question, imo. UM doesn’t get to control all aspects of players lives. This is about ‘who decides?’, not ‘what sould happen.’ Players will still meet agents and get their questions answered. Prohibition never works. It just moves things into the shadows further, and makes bigger hypocrites out of the ‘authorities.’ So too here. They’re not going to apply this rule evenly. Everyone will know. They’re not going to punish stars, and marginal players equally.

This whole thing is typical leftist regulate rather than fix instincts. Guarantee Petey’s gf thinks this is a good solution. It’s up there with raising the minimum wage to $100, imo.

Anyone with regulatory experience knows the expression ‘sunlight is the best disinfectant.’ This goes right counter to that. This pushes discussions into the shadows. If you wanted a rule you would actually be willing to enforce, you’d aim for disclosure, not prohibition.

Most guys who go pro are not first rounders and do not have enormous resources, nor needs other than basic financial planning and savings guidance.

NFL league minimum is around $500K. How many 21 year olds do you know who make that? How many people do you know who retire at 30 with over a million dollars in the bank?

Your comment on needs for "basic financial planning" are wildly wrong, and this is from a professional money manager.

There's a very strong argument to be made that they need good advice that much more. Retiring at 30 with $50 million is easy. Doing it with $3 million is much more difficult.

Advertisement
NFL league minimum is around $500K. How many 21 year olds do you know who make that? How many people do you know who retire at 30 with over a million dollars in the bank?

Your comment on needs for "basic financial planning" are wildly wrong, and this is from a professional money manager.

There's a very strong argument to be made that they need good advice that much more. Retiring at 30 with $50 million is easy. Doing it with $3 million is much more difficult.
So a kid who makes a roster and stays there as a low draft pick rookie made $480K in ‘19 [$495 in ‘20]. So under $30K / week during season. Not paid in advance, mind you. If you end up going to the practice squad, which many do, that’s $8K / week. Take out lots of taxes, your agent’s %, assume a home and car payment, some T&E and a few nice personal items (clothes, e.g.) and there ain’t all that much left for your trading account.

It is your position that these guys need ‘private bankers?’ lolol. Good luck hiring Goldman Sachs.

Counter intuitive, they keep putting more restrictions in place which hurt the student-athlete more than helping. There's no state legal issue at play so this is not going to deter agents from reaching out to players. Instead there should be more open communication between agents, the department and the players so that information and advice is more readily available. This will be my second year in a row with a UM player and I'm not able to even be inside at pro day to work for my client and talk to scouts there. Their reasoning is that they don't want us around the underclassmen. What happened last year instead was a bunch of agents hanging out in the parking lots talking to players as they were going in and out of the building and compliance had no idea rather than just keeping us all inside in a designated section.
I do not like agents, any agents, being around underclassmen

Honest question: What are the actual benefits to UM and its players in allowing agents access to the players before their eligibility expires?

Clearly, there are a lot of benefits to the agents, but I’ve seen nothing of value to UM or the players that comes from agents having access during their eligibility.

Point I tried to make earlier. UM Needs to protect its assets. Agents are ******** things for the team and they aren’t even helping the kids. some guys making this into a left vs right thing is laughable. UM is protecting itself. let me give the board an analogy. not perfect but is it leftist to make your employees sign a non-compete agreement or get an NDA or non solicitation agreement with another company you might be involved with? you want to just trust another company and give them unfettered access to your staff. do you let them hire your talent away at great cost to your company or do you do whatever you can to protect your business?

Advertisement
Who are some of the guys canes or none Canes you’re repping during this combine
Small class this year, Robert Knowles at Miami and Jalen Harris who’s about H-Back/blocking tight that played at Auburn then grad transferred to Colorado. Currently on rosters I have TE Cole Herdman on the Titans and DE Rickey Neal on Toronto and CB Jhavonte Dean on Winnipeg in the CFL

It’s not just Arena Football League Management that did this. There’s some big time agents who wanted to make a quick buck who should have told three UM players to stay on the team instead of turning pro after their junior year.

They’re all out of the league now or their draft status was lower than a kid from Pop Warner.

which three juniors?

So a kid who makes a roster and stays there as a low draft pick rookie made $480K in ‘19 [$495 in ‘20]. So under $30K / week during season. Not paid in advance, mind you. If you end up going to the practice squad, which many do, that’s $8K / week. Take out lots of taxes, your agent’s %, assume a home and car payment, some T&E and a few nice personal items (clothes, e.g.) and there ain’t all that much left for your trading account.

It is your position that these guys need ‘private bankers?’ lolol. Good luck hiring Goldman Sachs.
Obviously a kid on a practice squad or that's being advised **** be a pfa shouldnt go yoo far out his way for a personal banker. For that kids sake he better hope he has sound advice from people who have experienced the situation and good family structure. Kid better understand the necessity of saying NO first and foremost. Its important to remember the upbringing most of our kids come from. Without the proper structure in place it's a tricky situation no matter what round you're selected in. I'm not gonna put peoples personal business out there but out of the dudes I was drafted with within two years four of them asked me for a loan. Two filed bankruptcy while they were still in the league. That's a situation most people aren't privy too until they experience what it is to be drafted and immediately go from scraps to millions a year. Everyone and their mothers that ever knew you immediately reach out like they're best friends with requests for loans,business proposals etc. Ask bmac. He started up a worthless record label,production company,several restraunts and a few other things I wont even name. They all failed except TECHNICALLY the label that still exists but it's basically a shell.(not saying it's a dummy corporation or anything like that to be clear. Just that it makes no money.) It's more a hobby to tell people about at strip clubs and parties. Financial advice is critical. The key though is waiting until you know your status before you seek it.

Advertisement
Obviously a kid on a practice squad or that's being advised **** be a pfa shouldnt go yoo far out his way for a personal banker. For that kids sake he better hope he has sound advice from people who have experienced the situation and good family structure. Kid better understand the necessity of saying NO first and foremost. Its important to remember the upbringing most of our kids come from. Without the proper structure in place it's a tricky situation no matter what round you're selected in. I'm not gonna put peoples personal business out there but out of the dudes I was drafted with within two years four of them asked me for a loan. Two filed bankruptcy while they were still in the league. That's a situation most people aren't privy too until they experience what it is to be drafted and immediately go from scraps to millions a year. Everyone and their mothers that ever knew you immediately reach out like they're best friends with requests for loans,business proposals etc. Ask bmac. He started up a worthless record label,production company,several restraunts and a few other things I wont even name. They all failed except TECHNICALLY the label that still exists but it's basically a shell.(not saying it's a dummy corporation or anything like that to be clear. Just that it makes no money.) It's more a hobby to tell people about at strip clubs and parties. Financial advice is critical. The key though is waiting until you know your status before you seek it.
Financial advice is critical, agreed. The exchange here was whether a typical kid heading to a marginal nfl career needs a financial advisor (my comment), or a ‘private banker‘ (some other dude’s comment). I admit what that poster even meant by ‘private banker‘ isn’t clear. But in any case, young people with saving potential need some basic spending guidelines. Until you build up substantial investable assets, you don’t need substantial investment (as opposed to financial) advice.

$500,000 base salary is $250,000 or less in their pocket after federal taxes, SALT, pension/insurance requirements, agent's share etc. that's nothing and easy to blow if you have never had it and you have no culture or family to orient you. just watch Billy Corben's Broke video.

Pete was a punk when he was here and all indications is that he remains a punk. we need to make a poster of all the ones who left and were not drafted and put it in the locker room for all players to see.

Financial advice is critical, agreed. The exchange here was whether a typical kid heading to a marginal nfl career needs a financial advisor (my comment), or a ‘private banker‘ (some other dude’s comment). I admit what that poster even meant by ‘private banker‘ isn’t clear. But in any case, young people with saving potential need some basic spending guidelines. Until you build up substantial investable assets, you don’t need substantial investment (as opposed to financial) advice.
Most if not all players could really benefit from a private banker, but a small percentage need a financial advisor. Unfortunately they’re the biggest leeches if anyone in the sports industry and are extremely active in recruiting players themselves.

Advertisement
Instead of only having former players turned NFL starters giving motivational speeches add talks with players who turned pro early and failed to make a roster. Players who failed to get a degree. Players who graduated and enjoying a successful life after football.

May not work, given kids egos and short-term thinking.

Worth a shot?

Most if not all players could really benefit from a private banker, but a small percentage need a financial advisor. Unfortunately they’re the biggest leeches if anyone in the sports industry and are extremely active in recruiting players themselves.
Maybe by private banker you guys mean the folks with a floor cubicle by the tellers at Chase?

I hope no one takes investment sdvice from them. They’re not even cfas.

Young people need some spending and saving guidelines.

People with substantial assets (as opposed to income) need investment advice.

Private bankers are just expensive investment advisors.

Advertisement
Back