New "football agent" policy

It’s all on them. They are adults. Three years prior you trusted the coaching staff would take care of you and look out for your best interests so you sign and commit to the program.

Now that same coaching staff specifically your position coach that you have the closest relationship with is telling you you are not ready. You see former players and what happened to them when they left early.

But you decide to listen to some clown who tells you you are the next greatest NFL player and you bolt? That all he cares about is making a quick buck off you? That you just met months prior?

At some point these young adults have to accept the consequences. You can make all the rules you want but idiots are going to be idiots.
We have had very fews kids over the past 17 years whose coaches as seniors/draft eligibles were the same coaches who recruited them.

Advertisement
I'm not understanding how agencies benefit from lying to kids. I thought when u sign with an agency u get something like an advance that is recouped when you're drafted. If you're lying to this kid and give him a loan the he goes undrafted, how do u benefit
Probably the same way politicians benefit by lying to voters?

Not to come off as an *** but what do y’all do besides give yalls opinions on draft grades?

do these kids not get an official draft grade from the NFL which culminates various scouts,GMs etc and their thinking of where they will go?

Other than Bandy needing money to help his family.... how is this a smart move for him coming off a disappointing year?

Garvin? Kid got outshined by a under class men and was at best most weeks the 3rd best pass rusher on the team.

Garvin is the typical Miami kid who gets sold a crock of bull from agents who tell him he’s gonna “kill those interviews/combine” and get drafted in a spot that no one thinks he’ll go.
As far as underclassmen go, they either get a 1st, 2nd or "return to school" grade from the draft committee. Majority are getting return to school grades but still have a decision because they could be a 3rd rounder or a free agent prospect so that's where agents can get info from scouts. Unfortunately some agents will tell players what they want to hear and fluff their expectations which doesn't do anyone any good. I think that's an advantage of being a former player, I can actually speak X's and O's to scouts and know what I'm talking about.

Outside of knowing either of those two guy's personal backgrounds, its a mistake for both to leave in my opinion. Bandy is looking at likely 7th-pfa, Garvin I'd say more likely around 5th or 6th. Bandy has his limitations but there's a chance he gets no guaranteed money as a PFA vs a few hundred thousand signing bonus if he even went 5th next year. I think Garvin could've been a Day 2 pick at least if he had a better work ethic and reached his potential.

Counter intuitive, they keep putting more restrictions in place which hurt the student-athlete more than helping. There's no state legal issue at play so this is not going to deter agents from reaching out to players. Instead there should be more open communication between agents, the department and the players so that information and advice is more readily available. This will be my second year in a row with a UM player and I'm not able to even be inside at pro day to work for my client and talk to scouts there. Their reasoning is that they don't want us around the underclassmen. What happened last year instead was a bunch of agents hanging out in the parking lots talking to players as they were going in and out of the building and compliance had no idea rather than just keeping us all inside in a designated section.

So, effectively, prohibition created a black market. Not surprising, but interesting nonetheless.

Advertisement
I see two issues at play here:

1) STOP TELLING THESE IDIOTS TO LEAVE EARLY. This needs to stop at Miami in the worst way. Not only for the team, but for the players themselves. These dudes are leaving without degrees in many cases and getting burned.

2) Limit impermissible benefits. Pretty obvious that agents fronting money to players is pervasive throughout major college sports. This provides an added level of protection.

Finally, any of these guys who have real potential to make money shouldn't go anywhere near financial planners as they need private bankers. Financial planners here may be a catch all, but I'd reckon 99% of financial advisors have little clue what to do with professional athlete compensation.

So a very convincing person that no one wants around the players hires the one person who already knows all the players from his days as a recruiting expert....

Stunning..

At a certain point in the near future the evidence will be so overwhelming that the staff won't even have to fight against agent filth. The cycle has to end at some point when the majority of UM early entrants flame out of the league by year 2-3 and come back complaining how they're broke and got conned. Character evaluations in recruiting and program culture also play a part.

We're only on year 2 of this fiasco so let it play out and correct itself. I don't count Norton because his tragic accident made it a blessing that he declared in retrospect as he collected those rookie practice squad checks.

@apfenny3 is Craig Anderson still the top dog in compliance? Seems he goes out of his way to make any little thing a big deal. Like he things he is really important.

I’m still sour how our compliance handled the Grace and AQM fiasco with rentals.
He is. It was some bull**** how it was handled but just realize a couple kids fell on the grenade for a far bigger issue. It was kept in house for the most part.

Advertisement
I'm not understanding how agencies benefit from lying to kids. I thought when u sign with an agency u get something like an advance that is recouped when you're drafted. If you're lying to this kid and give him a loan the he goes undrafted, how do u benefit
Most of these kids dont get nothing but a few grand. Only the big names really dip into that. But regardless all it is is an advance. So what you're taking ur on the line for. An agent that's a scumbag essentially doesnt care when ur drafted or if you sign as a free agent or if you get a job at denny's. They just want theirs. Whether it's a percentage of that contract or suing you for their investment. All the same to them.

Not to come off as an *** but what do y’all do besides give yalls opinions on draft grades?

do these kids not get an official draft grade from the NFL which culminates various scouts,GMs etc and their thinking of where they will go?

Other than Bandy needing money to help his family.... how is this a smart move for him coming off a disappointing year?

Garvin? Kid got outshined by a under class men and was at best most weeks the 3rd best pass rusher on the team.

Garvin is the typical Miami kid who gets sold a crock of bull from agents who tell him he’s gonna “kill those interviews/combine” and get drafted in a spot that no one thinks he’ll go.
Garvin is a lil different. Hes leaving mainly cause he knows his ceiling cant be reached on this team and in all likelihood at any top school he wont have better results than hes already shown. That's not saying kids a stud and this is smart cause I'm not and hes not. However everyone knows we have at the very least 4 better options as a pass rusher on this team. What else can he do besides transfer than sit out cause hes nowhere near graduation.

Advertisement
I appreciate the kind words man. Its not the easiest business to succeed in ethically, but I think most people who cut corners end up having it catch up to them. I've had a few agencies try to bring me on this winter but I'd rather keep doing my own thing even if it takes longer so I can ensure things are done the right way
You know we've had our conversation on that. I'd say you're doing it the right way.

As far as underclassmen go, they either get a 1st, 2nd or "return to school" grade from the draft committee. Majority are getting return to school grades but still have a decision because they could be a 3rd rounder or a free agent prospect so that's where agents can get info from scouts. Unfortunately some agents will tell players what they want to hear and fluff their expectations which doesn't do anyone any good. I think that's an advantage of being a former player, I can actually speak X's and O's to scouts and know what I'm talking about.

Regardless, January 17th is too early for underclassmen to declare.

Underclassmen should still be able to go through the process and change their minds, that's how the NBA does it!!!!

I see two issues at play here:

1) STOP TELLING THESE IDIOTS TO LEAVE EARLY. This needs to stop at Miami in the worst way. Not only for the team, but for the players themselves. These dudes are leaving without degrees in many cases and getting burned.

2) Limit impermissible benefits. Pretty obvious that agents fronting money to players is pervasive throughout major college sports. This provides an added level of protection.

Finally, any of these guys who have real potential to make money shouldn't go anywhere near financial planners as they need private bankers. Financial planners here may be a catch all, but I'd reckon 99% of financial advisors have little clue what to do with professional athlete compensation.
Most guys who go pro are not first rounders and do not have enormous resources, nor needs other than basic financial planning and savings guidance.

Advertisement
My face after hearing this

1582552772029.png

there might be a lot of nuance here but the bottom line is agents have played a significant role in encouraging too many unqualified UM players into leaving school early. if i am UM i enact a similar policy. you have to do what you think is right to protect the program and the kids. maybe its a case of a few bad apples spoiled it for all the other agents that don't give kids terrible advice.

there might be a lot of nuance here but the bottom line is agents have played a significant role in encouraging too many unqualified UM players into leaving school early. if i am UM i enact a similar policy. you have to do what you think is right to protect the program and the kids. maybe its a case of a few bad apples spoiled it for all the other agents that don't give kids terrible advice.
Because censorship has such a great record of results?

Banning things doesn’t prevent access to them. It typically just makes it all happen in the dark.

Banning information is a complete failure of an idea UM should be embarrassed to be pursuing in the golden age of information flow.

Because censorship has such a great record of results?

Banning things doesn’t prevent access to them. It typically just makes it all happen in the dark.

Banning information is a complete failure of an idea UM should be embarrassed to be pursuing in the golden age of information flow.
it its all about information UM should consider giving the kids access to an approved panel of agents they know they can trust.

Advertisement
Back