New DT Offer In NY

Advertisement
Kid has offers from Penn State, Georgia and Ohio state but he’s not good enough for the U? I’m 100% positive this is the dumbest fan base in the world for any sport that has ever been played

Don't believe every GA offer you read...But yeah the kid could commit to PSU today if he wanted

Been following recruiting for a long time now and I disagree with you. We used to get a lot of out of state kids. And often they were very good. Why we stopped, I don't know.

In fact, we used to get a lot of Chicago kids: Russ Maryland, Mike Sullivan, Andre Brown, Alvin Ward, Barry Panfil, Rod Holder, and others, I believe.

Some were better than others. Of course, back then we had a coach who knew the city: Hubbard Alexander.

I think one problem we have now is we might be too focused on south Florida. They're great players but seem to be prima donas.

How about Dave Alekna. I do agree with you, and I re-read my post and need to clarify. What I should have added was getting involved in their recruitments so late in the season. We have had many fine players from around the country, and some have attained legendary status.

I don't know if you have noticed but it's been like the last 15 years or so it seems when we get involved in an oos recruitment late, we have trouble landing then. JT was the biggest one we had in a while. I'm sure there are a few others, but it seems we fare better when we get the oos interested in us early.

It’s a smart move. There was a study posted on here a while back (maybe Lance Roffers posted it?) about how the largest percentage of stud DT’s were the kind who had the explosiveness but needed to add weight.

Those dudes around 6’4” 260 lb. Dudes in RJ McIntosh mold and why Ingraham is a big loss since he’s the epitome of this.
That's why we used to recruit a lot of kids who were good DLs in HS but switch to OL at the U. They did not quite have the quickness and what we now call twitchiness to play DL in our attacking defense. They were good HS DLs but it wasn't clear they had quite what we needed for UM DLs. Still, they were takes because they were very good football players.

Kip Vickers was one example among many. He actually had a pro career on the OL.

I think a lot of the DLs we recruited were brought in with idea we would try them at DL first and if they didn't work out we'd switch them to offense. Perhaps that's because it was so hard to find good HS OLs back then (as it is now.)

That's why I like this Zion kid and the Butler kid. They seem twitchy for OLs. So many HS OLs are just leaners, I think. I'd rather look at the feet, balance, use of hands than the number of stars.

Advertisement
How about Dave Alekna. I do agree with you, and I re-read my post and need to clarify. What I should have added was getting involved in their recruitments so late in the season. We have had many fine players from around the country, and some have attained legendary status.

I don't know if you have noticed but it's been like the last 15 years or so it seems when we get involved in an oos recruitment late, we have trouble landing then. JT was the biggest one we had in a while. I'm sure there are a few others, but it seems we fare better when we get the oos interested in us early.

Dave Alekna. Wow, that’s a trip down memory lane.. Big dude with blonde hair and good guy as well.

It looks like Richt is taking a page out of the Golden Handbook for what to do once other schools start to set up shop in the 305 and you can only get their scraps. I can't wait until the slurpers start telling us about how underrated the NY 3 stars are. "BUT DAVID NJOKU WAS A 3 STAR NJ KID!!!!!"
lol at people excited over this, this is a bad sign hes quitting on the trail lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back