New commit! DT Ryan Fines

LULZ @ once Florida offers he's gone.

Yeah you guys just have recruiting all figured out don't you?

Advertisement
CI did an article on him 2 weeks ago outlining how he was offered by UM but both he and his family are huge UF fans, so I don't doubt if UF offers he is gone in a second. I get the feeling this is ryan Gibbons 2.0, in terms of committing to UM in order to generate interest from other programs.

http://www.caneinsider.com/?p=12921

Fines received offers from USF, Arizona and the University of Miami (FL). The Fines family moved to Bradenton from Colorado midway through his sophomore year.*

http://manateehurricanesfootball.blogspot.com/2014/02/recruiters-begin-targeting-next-years.html

Soph yr in Colorado, looks very similar to his Jr year in florida.
[video=youtube_share;FfrYijUlFGM]http://youtu.be/FfrYijUlFGM[/video]

How often does "His dad/mum/cousin is a huge U fan" work for us?

Less than you'd think. Hope this kid sticks.

how can anyone say they aren't excited about him? kid does a lot really well.
he initial step and drive is great, plays w/ leverage with his head up, kid didn't take plays off once the ball went away from him, chased the play and made tackles from sideline to sideline, kid rarely got stonewalled, sheds blocks and looks for the ball every play.
i mean, there was whole lot to like. what didn't you like?

and i seriously doubt he commits to UM this early if he just wants a uf offer. all he has to do is wait a little longer and he'd get it without backing out of a commitment to UM. doesn't make sense.

and i seriously doubt he commits to UM this early if he just wants a uf offer. all he has to do is wait a little longer and he'd get it without backing out of a commitment to UM. doesn't make sense.

5XNC, NOTHING in recruiting, makes sense anymore. That being said, I hope he sticks.

Advertisement
A DT?!?!

345.gif

AWWWWWWWWW YYYEEEAAAAAHHHH A DT!!!!

295.gif

i agree and i was gonna post that. but, it's freaking feb. the kid didn't have to commit to UM now if his main goal was to get a uf offer. could have waited till after spring or summer or even in the fall to see if uf offers.

Maybe the kid wanted to get recruiting over with, concentrate on academics instead of recruiting, and possibly be an EE in January.

I hate to say it but UF has much bigger fish to fry when it comes to DLine recruiting and the early leans they have this cycle with CeCe Jefferson and Byron Cowart etc... Granted Ryan Fines is a different type of DT than doth who project as a SDE or SDE/DT and Fines seems to be more of a NT, but IMO UF will not offer Fines, especially when you take into account the DLine classes they have signed the last 2 cycles.

We need DTs too bad for me not to be stoked on this commitment though.

And I really like that we are wrapping up some of these linemen early, with a lot of the skilled position guys looking to wait till the end of their season or an all star game or NSD.

I do have a feeling though that once a Jaquan Johnson type of kid down here commits, it will open the flood gates and a lot of south FL kids will hop on board.

2015 is looking to be a **** of a class for us.

Advertisement
if we have learned anything over the years is you can never count on anything. even chad made us sweat down the stretch. i take the commitment though as a better than 50% change we land the kid and that is not nearly as arbitrary as when people put percentages on uncommitted kids.

We signed 4 DTs in 2014. Me thinks people need to stop worrying about the numbers and more about development.

Congrats to the kid, hope he sticks.

if we have learned anything over the years is you can never count on anything. even chad made us sweat down the stretch. i take the commitment though as a better than 50% change we land the kid and that is not nearly as arbitrary as when people put percentages on uncommitted kids.

Chad didn't make anyone sweat. Just paranoid fans following the recruiting board.

i disagree, how many kids have we offered early, they gain national attention, then bolt, i'm not paranoid, but i've also learned it's become a recruiting ploy to commit to a certain team, only to gain attention . . . no one wants you when your single, but when you get a gf, all the women come out of nowhere trying to get at you

Last edited:
Advertisement
I doubt he's committing here to garner an offer from uf so he can bolt. way too early in the process and the kid is getting enough recognition to not need that. he plays a uf friendly hs.

Advertisement
I like the kids film alot and hopes he sticks with UM and says welcome to the family, but I am also not going to ignore the great big blue gator in the room.

As another poster mentioned UF is going a different direction at Dline for now, and most likely this will end up like the Trent harris situation from 2014 an how he ended up with UM. An finally the best thing is that traditionally Manatee Players don't flip once they are committed, unless something major happens between a school and recruit.

Go Canes

Last edited:

I think he committed to lock down a spot here. Everyone knows next year we are bringing in a small class and are looking at a lot of studs. Guys can easily get left behind, and there is no guarantee he will get an offer from UF or FSU later.

Not saying I think we lose him, but I do believe it will be a battle if he gets offered by UF.

How can you not like this kid's film? He looks like a 10-year NFL vet compared to the usual raw, low-motor DT recruits that are abundant in Florida. The way he split doubles and worked his hands to angle himself into gaps reminds me of Aaron Donald.

Advertisement
Back