New CB offer: Marvin Covington

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Texas offers will you guys calm down?

Of course they won’t. It’s as if we’ve never beaten other power 5 schools to be one of if not the first to offer a kid that winds up being a 4 Star talent or an underrated 3 Star.

You’d think folks would be a little more hesitant to throw shade considering there were no spring and summer evals and tape is just now getting out with high school programs playing their first couple games.

Advertisement
This board is a hoot. Rumph is the weak link on the defensive staff recruiting-wise without question, but I see that logic doesn't apply for most posters either. First of all, there was no camp circuit in the spring and summer, so there are going to be a ton of prospects that are going to blow up now with offers. He just got a Houston offer and the second he gets a Texas offer, he's gone and ya'll are going to rip Rumph again for not being able to land his verbal.

Advertisement
They don’t see Bama or UGA etc, so they immediately begin to b***h. Rumph needs to go but 90% of the ppl laughing at this offer didn’t even watch the kids highlights
That’s cause 90% of the people on this board aren’t scouts. Fortunately for us, we have third party rating systems that do a very good job of ranking recruits.

Advertisement
This is going to go the way of most kids we uncover late in the cycle. Miami offers and then the bag/larger state schools get involved. Texas/A&M/TCU/Baylor will offer shortly and he'll be headed there. Happens year after year yet so many on CIS complain that the defensive staff can't evaluate.

So a little back story here.

Rivals spoke to his father. Kid's father is in the military and moves around. He's been in a few schools throughout high school and never really got any national camp invitations. He played high school football at Houston Cypress Ranch as a freshman, Frisco (Tex.) Heritage High as a sophomore and Mansfield (Tex.) Lake Ridge High last season.

He's 6-foot-0 and 185 pounds and Covington has a personal best 100-meter time of 10.8 seconds and 200 time of 23.0.

This season is Covington’s first real chance to put his DI level of talent on film.
And Miami was the first to take notice.

Within two days of seeing his highlights coach Mike Rumph and Demarcus Van Dyke were on the phone with Covington’s family extending an offer. Since then Marvin's been in daily contact with Rumph.

"He’s a cool dude, I like that he really wants me to be there, this I'm a good fit for the program," Marvin said. "He talked to me about how they like their guys to produce, how they improve them and not just in football but create better men and prepare for them for life outside of football."

Houston offered Monday. A number of other schools have reached out - thinking that Texas may offer. So far only Houston and Miami extended and offer.

Advertisement
So a little back story here.

Rivals spoke to his father. Kid's father is in the military and moves around. He's been in a few schools throughout high school and never really got any national camp invitations. He played high school football at Houston Cypress Ranch as a freshman, Frisco (Tex.) Heritage High as a sophomore and Mansfield (Tex.) Lake Ridge High last season.

He's 6-foot-0 and 185 pounds and Covington has a personal best 100-meter time of 10.8 seconds and 200 time of 23.0.

This season is Covington’s first real chance to put his DI level of talent on film.
And Miami was the first to take notice.

Within two days of seeing his highlights coach Mike Rumph and Demarcus Van Dyke were on the phone with Covington’s family extending an offer. Since then Marvin's been in daily contact with Rumph.

"He’s a cool dude, I like that he really wants me to be there, this I'm a good fit for the program," Marvin said. "He talked to me about how they like their guys to produce, how they improve them and not just in football but create better men and prepare for them for life outside of football."

Houston offered Monday. A number of other schools have reached out - thinking that Texas may offer. So far only Houston and Miami extended and offer.
Texas will offer. Oklahoma will offer. Couple of SEC schools too. And that’s great if he’s actually 6 foot now. Last I seen him he was a little smaller but he was always filled out. He probably came into high school 5’9 165

TAKE ALL DAY!!!

This kid has very good speed & natural speed turn ability, his footwork is advanced for such a raw talent. He's got active hands & maintains physicality while in phase, his jam technique is really nice & he plays with very good eye discipline.

Quick twitch natural athlete with very good aggressive cover skills, he's a kid that can play as TF after you get him in your S&C program, he'll put on good weight & add strength to his frame.

He's a Coach Flight kid, he plays for Texas Flex 7v7 squad & is a late riser kid which is why he's just now getting more offers. If you know Coach Flight, he's one of the best personal DB coaches in Texas, he's coached dozens of really good CB's from TX like Jalen Kimber (UGA), Kitan Crawford (Texas), Dwight McGlothern (LSU), Lorando Johnson (Baylor), Korie Black (OK St) & Collin Gamble (Cal) & that's just from the 2020 class, he also coached Scooby Carter who went to Bama but is in the portal now I believe.

This kid is basically the 2021 version of Ennis Rakestraw from Duncanville, who was a late riser kid with great speed & measurables who picked up a bunch of late offers from Bama, UGA, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma & even we offered him late last year as well, but he wound up signing with Mizzou because they offered him earlier than everyone else.

Idc what it means for Brown, put heavy pressure on & take this kid All day, his upside is high & his natural traits are exactly what we need at Corner.

Advertisement
TAKE ALL DAY!!!

This kid has very good speed & natural speed turn ability, his footwork is advanced for such a raw talent. He's got active hands & maintains physicality while in phase, his jam technique is really nice & he plays with very good eye discipline.

Quick twitch natural athlete with very good aggressive cover skills, he's a kid that can play as TF after you get him in your S&C program, he'll put on good weight & add strength to his frame.

He's a Coach Flight kid, he plays for Texas Flex 7v7 squad & is a late riser kid which is why he's just now getting more offers. If you know Coach Flight, he's one of the best personal DB coaches in Texas, he's coached dozens of really good CB's from TX like Jalen Kimber (UGA), Kitan Crawford (Texas), Dwight McGlothern (LSU), Lorando Johnson (Baylor), Korie Black (OK St) & Collin Gamble (Cal) & that's just from the 2020 class, he also coached Scooby Carter who went to Bama but is in the portal now I believe.

This kid is basically the 2021 version of Ennis Rakestraw from Duncanville, who was a late riser kid with great speed & measurables who picked up a bunch of late offers from Bama, UGA, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma & even we offered him late last year as well, but he wound up signing with Mizzou because they offered him earlier than everyone else.

Idc what it means for Brown, put heavy pressure on & take this kid All day, his upside is high & his natural traits are exactly what we need at Corner.
Well if he gets Liberty’s stamp of approval! Let’s see what the staff does with this kids recruitment.

Dont worry rumph the best db coach in the country. **** get this young man into the Top 10 in 2024

This dude is very athletic, but also very unpolished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back