New 2014 OL Commit

Nice to see that we are loading up on Wake Forest quality talent on the OL. 2016 champs!

KC McDermott & Trevor Darling are awful.

The problem is they both can't play all 5 positions simultaneously.

Exactly! We will be two O-lineman short going into fall practice (losing Reilly, and Hunter). I guess we could put up more fliers up asking for students to come tryout.
Also we lose 3 scholarships a year for the next 3 years. We can't take 4 off this year and 2 next year and so on. We lose 3 a year period, so only playing with say 80 scholarship players doesn't do anything but hurt us.

Actually we can manipulate those 9 over 3 years how ever we want to as long as we're in that appropriate range. Golden and James said so themselves. For example could go 4 one year, 3, another year & the lat year. Just gotta be at that 76 Mark after year 3.

Advertisement
Still no bat signal for 2014 OG tyler grimsley even more so gives the impression he is a walk-on addition to the 2014 class.

I hope it's not like that kid a few years back that faked his commitment and offer from Cal. Grimsley looks good as a development player but with limited spots in the coming years he's a gamble as scholarship player.

The other thing is what happened with 2013 OL preferred walk-on Ryan Shivers who is very similar to Grimsley. Why wouldn't he get the scholarship first.

http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/44184-CANES-snag-a-preferred-walk-on-from-Asheville-via-Fork-Union?highlight=fuma

Go Canes

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HwT-TYVKj3Y[/video]

Last edited:
Stole him from Weber State.... Al doin' work!

All you Weber State fans- don't be
jelly.

Do you really have to find something to complain about? a walking-on for God's sake. Do you know what that mean? Unreal!

What where you saying southsaveahoo?

I use to think you actually contributed to the board, but truthfully you are getting really corny dude.. I don't know you toilet paper, but you sure are one condescending piece of ****.

Nice to see that we are loading up on Wake Forest quality talent on the OL. 2016 champs!

KC McDermott & Trevor Darling are awful.

The problem is they both can't play all 5 positions simultaneously.

Exactly! We will be two O-lineman short going into fall practice (losing Reilly, and Hunter). I guess we could put up more fliers up asking for students to come tryout.
Also we lose 3 scholarships a year for the next 3 years. We can't take 4 off this year and 2 next year and so on. We lose 3 a year period, so only playing with say 80 scholarship players doesn't do anything but hurt us.

Actually we can manipulate those 9 over 3 years how ever we want to as long as we're in that appropriate range. Golden and James said so themselves. For example could go 4 one year, 3, another year & the lat year. Just gotta be at that 76 Mark after year 3.

Year 1: 85 - "our roster" = X
Year 2: 85 - "our roster" = Y
Year 2: 85 - "our roster" = Z

All we need is for the total of X, Y, Z to equal 9 or more. The only other detail I recall is that we have to use at least 1 scholly reduction in each year, so essentially we can't have "our roster" be higher than 84 over the next three years.

Advertisement
Obviously has a wrestling background.

Cauliflower.

Kid is a great pickup. Fvck the haters.

Last edited:
His highlights are consistent. He blocks defender, defender falls. He continues to maul defender. Whats not to like?

size

We did win NC with undersized Olinemen. These huge dude we have had lately have not delivered as advertised. At this point I would like a pair of nasty proper height guards who can actually pull on running plays and get under dline on goal line and short yardage. Enough with four tackles or tweeners playing at the same time. Even if this kid just practices nasty, it would help our dline to get the crap beat out of it every day -- maybe they will get tired of it and start being nasty too.

Still no bat signal for 2014 OG tyler grimsley even more so gives the impression he is a walk-on addition to the 2014 class.

I hope it's not like that kid a few years back that faked his commitment and offer from Cal. Grimsley looks good as a development player but with limited spots in the coming years he's a gamble as scholarship player.

The other thing is what happened with 2013 OL preferred walk-on Ryan Shivers who is very similar to Grimsley. Why wouldn't he get the scholarship first.

http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/44184-CANES-snag-a-preferred-walk-on-from-Asheville-via-Fork-Union?highlight=fuma

Go Canes

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HwT-TYVKj3Y[/video]

My favorite hat trick ever. I still watch it every once in a while. What must have been going through that kid's mind to do that in front of all those cheering people. He actually ended up playing for some obscure juco someplace. The kid obviously has a future in politics. He's from Nevada.....successor to Harry Reid?

So this is what happened with Grimsley landing at UM last minute, as last OL addition. I also think coming from the Jacksonville area played a small part in Miami's offer. UM has been trying to get back into Jacksonville recruiting but has been shut out until this year when UM landed Darrion Owens and now add in Tyler Grimsley. Strategically these pick up will pay dividends down the road and not just on the field.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/high-schools/2014-03-14/story/clay-lineman-grimsley-jumps-miamis-late-offer

Clay lineman Grimsley jumps at Miami's late offer
Posted: March 14, 2014

Everything about the high school football season had a measure of surprise to it for Tyler Grimsley.

So when the Clay offensive lineman received a late offer from the Miami Hurricanes and signed with the program, it pretty much fell in line with a blockbuster year at the school.

“It was pretty awesome, definitely unexpected,” said Grimsley, a 6-foot-3, 270-pound center. “Signing with Miami pretty much topped [the year] off. I hoped everything would work out and it did.”

The Blue Devils rebounded from a ragged start and went on to a state runner-up finish. Grimsley, an offensive lineman, earned All-First Coast and all-state honors and signed with a college, Lindenwood University, an NCAA Division II school in St. Charles, Mo., on national signing day.

A qualifying ACT score was the hangup.

So Grimsley retook the test and got the score he needed (an 18). In the meantime, Clay assistant coaches Frank Garis and Ryan Wolfe were firing off film of Grimsley to colleges who were initially leery of offering due to the test score.

“Miami calls and tells Garis, ‘Can you get him down here, we need a lineman, we’ve got one spot left, we want to see him,’” Clay coach Josh Hoekstra said. “It’s pretty awesome for Tyler and Clay High.”

Lindenwood agreed to release Grimsley from his letter of intent so that he could sign with the Hurricanes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think this kid has some potential to be a very solid guard down the road. He is a good run blocker with that nasty side that interior lineman need.

Advertisement
I like the part of the video where they say the states attorney is contemplating whether to file charges against him. What would he be charged with? Maybe we can file some charges against players who commit to UM and flip to UF lol.

Not to sound mean or anything but is our Oline depth THAT bad? I mean we took flyers on two kids in the 25th hour at that position like we were starving for depth..And both of them dont look to be world beaters. I thought Oline was pretty solid quality depth wise...I know losing Gibbons at the last second threw things off a bit but ****..

Advertisement
Not to sound mean or anything but is our Oline depth THAT bad? I mean we took flyers on two kids in the 25th hour at that position like we were starving for depth..And both of them dont look to be world beaters. I thought Oline was pretty solid quality depth wise...I know losing Gibbons at the last second threw things off a bit but ****..

I tend to agree. I think for OL the magic number is 13, we had 12.

2014 Scholarship OL (In no particular order)

Gadbois
Wells
Flowers
Felicano
Gall
Darling
Isadora
Odogwu
Knighton
S. McDermott
KC McDermott
Linder
------------- 12 w/o Grimsley and Brown

2015 Scholarship OL (assuming Flowers leaves early)

Gadbois
Gall
Darling
Isadora
Odogwu
Knighton
KC McDermott
Linder
J. Brown
Grimsley
Feder
Mahoney
L. Brown

Good look, Con. This is what i was looking for.

****, I didnt know our 2015 OL depth chart looked that sad. Man we have to pray that Odogwu and Knighton hit. I think we can pretty much depend on Gadbois, Gall, Darling, Isadora, KC. But the rest are a little iffy. Lets hope we stay injury free.

Kid looks good on the field, I really don't see the lean but I do see someone who plays to the whistle. Seems small but tough, does some great pulling work, opens holes big enough to drive a bus (Gus?) though. A fast pulling guard can spring a fast RB, and we have those.

Last edited:
Kid looks good on the field, I really don't see the lean but I do see someone who plays to the whistle. Seems small but tough, does some great pulling work, opens holes big enough to drive a bus (Gus?) though. A fast pulling guard can spring a fast RB, and we have those.

ONE COMPLAINT

Those of you who have been declaring Hunter Knighton's career over - please stop. The most recent information, published here and elsewhere about two weeks ago that he is working to get back on the field and live his dream of playing Div. I ball. I for one think that he will do it, unless of course he has suffered in irreversible injury that cannot be rehabilitated. For now all we know, is what's been published which remains positive --- so please don't speculate.

I believe the posts made on this thread about Hunter possibly being done were made a month before the info came out that he is returning to the program.

I agree with some on here, I think this kid may have that blue collar work ethic and mean streak. Lets hope he develops.

Advertisement
Back