New 2014 OL Commit

We recruiting this kid at fb? No doubt he's killing people out there but **** I'd be shocked if he was 250 and doesn't have much of a frame... Don't get these 12th hour offers

Advertisement
People forget that Joaquin Gonzalez was a walk-on. Spent '97 on scout team. Got his scholarship in August of '98. Was a 4 yr starter and eventual All-American.

Don't write off walk-ons.

Imagine the meltdown on this board if this kid gets a scholarship in August 15

Joaquin had to wait a year to get his scholarship. It doesn't matter anyway, this kid's got one according to Mr. Money. (I've heard of people named cash, penny, but never money...).

Yeah, we've had smaller OLs in the past, and maybe that was a long time ago, but maybe we can play with a kid around 280 if he's flexible, explosive, strong, etc.

I dunno....I'm not as smart as all the experts here...and neither are Art, Al and the whole mess of incompetent coaches who have never won a college game or put a player in the pros, in their lives. The true brain trust is right here...on this board.

I don't know about this young man, he looks rather smallish.

But I'll say this, whomever is coaching that kid and his fellow OLmen is doing one heck of a job.

That is one well-drilled OLine unit. None of those kids lean on opponents, they have excellent footwork.

Props to their OLine coach.

Advertisement
The only way this makes sense is if he is a Center prospect who is also a long snapper.

Advertisement
This guy after not offering A'lique Terry and Raul Diaz

66.gif
66.gif
66.gif
66.gif
66.gif

Tyler Grimsley made 5A first team All State in Florida along OG Isiash Wynn, so Grimsley is definitely keeping good company on the field an is excellent value pick up for Kehoe and AG as a walk on.

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/class-5a-all-state-football-teams/19299/

He has added 30lbs of good weight over his JR to SR year. As a junior he made the state of FLA weight lifting 1A finals list for the 238lb class. He benched 320lbs and clean and Jerk 275lbs as a junior in high school last spring which would put him in the middle of the pack among current UM Olinenmen.

FLA weight lifting Composite list 2012-2013
http://www.fhsaa.org/node/11697

Its ironic that UM passed on offering DT Edgar Cerenod from American Heritage and then the kid he dominated in the title game walks on at UM.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-12-11/sports/fl-heritage-clay-matchup-1212-20131211_1_sony-michel-mike-rumph-torrance-gibson

Clay's offense vs. Heritage's defense: Shannon Asbell (1,211 yards, 20 TDs), Wes Weeks (1,128 yards, 14 TDs) and Bilal Ally (970 yards, 10 touchdowns) gives Clay a three-back system that could wear down Heritage's defense but more importantly, chew clock and keep Michel and Co. off the field. Rumph said when Clay does throw, it will rely on the roll-out more than anything. Senior offensive linemen Nick George (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) andTyler Grimsley (6-3, 255) will anchor an offensive line opposite run stoppers Edgard Cerenord (6-3, 285 pounds) and FIU commit Justin Sibole (6-4, 275). Clay's offense, Rumph said, is similar to Hardee. Heritage beat Hardee 41-7 in the regional finals. He added: "They're built to get three to four yards a carry. They can constantly keep the clock rolling and keep our offense off the field. That's their plan."

Here are the highlights from FLA State Title game with Clay vs Heritage from 2013 ( watch #11 in white vs #69 in Blue)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/167777/highlights/116247481

Keep in mind Al Golden's quote a few weeks ago--that they're constantly trying to evaluate a kid in terms of where they think he'll be a few years down the road. I was surprised at his picture on HUDL--he looks almost skinny. Also claiming he's up to 265, with a 400 pound bench. The kid must be very strong. If he could end up around 285-290, I could see him as a center. He looked like he was relentless and stayed with his man until he buried him, even if it was ten yards down field. At this late stage, trying to fill a slot that opened at the last minute, I don't see anything wrong with taking a flyer on this kid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
iirc the heritage Dline was tearing everyone on that clay oline up

Exactly here are NT/DT Edgar Cerenord highlights from FLA State Title game with Clay vs Heritage from 2013 ( watch #11 in white vs #69 in Blue) he went ham on the whole Oline from Clay including #69.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/167777/highlights/116247481
[/QUOTE]

I do not see 69 engaged with 11 in that clip? At what time is that play? It does appear clay's oline is overwhelmed, but 69 was not the issue. My only concern is this guy's frame. Is he 6'2-6'3? If he was 6'5, I would love this pickup. He looks lean and athletic enough. Sounds like he has great strength. He dominates in his highlights. This is not kc or darling, but I do not see a wasted scholly IMO. Kid could fill up to 290-300 and be a monster center.

Nice to see that we are loading up on Wake Forest quality talent on the OL. 2016 champs!

KC McDermott & Trevor Darling are awful.

The problem is they both can't play all 5 positions simultaneously.

Exactly! We will be two O-lineman short going into fall practice (losing Reilly, and Hunter). I guess we could put up more fliers up asking for students to come tryout.
Also we lose 3 scholarships a year for the next 3 years. We can't take 4 off this year and 2 next year and so on. We lose 3 a year period, so only playing with say 80 scholarship players doesn't do anything but hurt us.

Advertisement
Back