Nesta enters portal

There's talent on defense but 90% of it is unproven. There's not a linebacker on the roster who's proven he can play at all besides Keontra who's really more of a safety/striker type. Defensive end/Edge is a huge question mark. Harvey and Chanz Williams were 4 star guys but neither has shown much on the field. I don't think that's a scheme or development issue either since every year from 2016-2020 this team had at least one really good defensive end. I doubt they just forgot how to coach them. I hope Stevenson is back at corner because everyone else at that position is mediocre at best.

If I'm making a list of defensive players I know can play at least at a reasonably good level it's:
Stevenson
James Williams
Avantae Williams
Kam Kinchens
Keontra Smith
Leonard Taylor
Jered Harrison-Hunte
A corner, four safeties, and two 3 technique defensive tackles.

Are we better than most of the ACC also rans? Yeah. Are we so loaded with talent that a quick scheme change is going to make this defense a top unit? Nah. They CAN get a lot better but for that to happen a lot of guys who have done a whole lot of nothing so far in college need to start making plays.
Who out of this list is headed to the portal when it's all said and done???

Advertisement
Based off of most of the post on this thread i wouldnt trust the evals on some on here.

Keep in mind i like that kid as a player.
Secondly the coaches job is to have options at each position…. He can’t say well if JHH isn’t ready he is never gonna be. No he’s gotta be ready for that possibility. Not sure how Nesta leaving helps with that possibility.

V
I put it out there weeks ago and some couldn’t accept it… Nesta was one of the guys that divided the locker room. He needed to go, if we are going to build the culture around brotherhood and trust. Mario isn’t allowing it here. I wish him only well, somewhere else. I’m happy he’s going to get another year of college ball under his belt to improve his draft stock. Solid choice. His grades came back obviously and they weren’t kind.
I said awhile ago this locker room needed a good douching , mostly older guys.

Advertisement
We were also a 30 yard doinked field goal and a 4th and 14 from 9-3. Just saying.

No! Stop this bull chit. U can’t use this when we were the superior team each & every game. Good teams don’t say “well, we were a FG miss, & 4th & 14 away from having a better record.” That 4th & 14 came at the hands on a last minute drive to a QB who can’t throw, & to a team that went 5-7. That “doink” fg came against a 6-6 UVA team at home.

Miss me w/ that; the reason y we were barely 7-5 is b/c an outmatch App St dropped two wide open passes driving the field to score, B/c an outmatched GT team dropped 2 wide open passes driving the field to score. We were a bad team that lost to 3 bad opponents that went 17-20 on the yr collectively.

No! Stop this bull chit. U can’t use this when we were the superior team each & every game. Good teams don’t say “well, we were a FG miss, & 4th & 14 away from having a better record.” That 4th & 14 came at the hands on a last minute drive to a QB who can’t throw, & to a team that went 5-7. That “doink” fg came against a 6-6 UVA team at home.

Miss me w/ that; the reason y we were barely 7-5 is b/c an outmatch App St dropped two wide open passes driving the field to score, B/c an outmatched GT team dropped 2 wide open passes driving the field to score. We were a bad team that lost to 3 bad opponents that went 17-20 on the yr collectively.
Poorly coached teams make bad plays at inopportune times. I get that. And, ultimately, you are what your record says. It all evens out in the end. It’s just a little disingenuous to state that we were so lucky to be 7-5 when we were just as unlucky to not end up 9-3. I’m not saying we were a “good” football team - just that we were bizzarro-world results on two very specific, very routine, plays from a top 25 ranking.

Wasn’t your “lucky to be 7-5” comment in response to someone saying 9 wins next year is a disappointment (or something along those lines)? You just said it yourself - we were the “superior team” in most of our losses last year, so why can’t we expect marked improvement from our expensive new staff and a full season from our 1st round qb? And, if not marked improvement - at least enough to where beating 5 win acc teams doesn’t come down to 4th and 14?

Poorly coached teams make bad plays at inopportune times. I get that. And, ultimately, you are what your record says. It all evens out in the end. It’s just a little disingenuous to state that we were so lucky to be 7-5 when we were just as unlucky to not end up 9-3. I’m not saying we were a “good” football team - just that we were bizzarro-world results on two very specific, very routine, plays from a top 25 ranking.

Wasn’t your “lucky to be 7-5” comment in response to someone saying 9 wins next year is a disappointment (or something along those lines)? You just said it yourself - we were the “superior team” in most of our losses last year, so why can’t we expect marked improvement from our expensive new staff and a full season from our 1st round qb? And, if not marked improvement - at least enough to where beating 5 win acc teams doesn’t come down to 4th and 14?

My comment was predicated on, not a single season, but a culture that’s been broken. We’ve been the superior team for over 15 yrs, and even w/ our best coach during that time frame, Richt, took 2 yrs to get us to 10 wins, & to fix the culture. Recall, we struggled like f to begin 2016, & finished w/ a flurry.

Furthermore, there’s nothing “disingenuous” about being lucky to be 7-5. I layed out who we lost to, and we were this close to losing to a G5 team & a GT team that went 3-9. Point being, we should’ve never been put in a “what if” position to be 7-5 or 9-3. We should’ve been, at worst 10-2 playing in the ACCCG.

My comment was predicated on, not a single season, but a culture that’s been broken. We’ve been the superior team for over 15 yrs, and even w/ our best coach during that time frame, Richt, took 2 yrs to get us to 10 wins, & to fix the culture. Recall, we struggled like f to begin 2016, & finished w/ a flurry.

Furthermore, there’s nothing “disingenuous” about being lucky to be 7-5. I layed out who we lost to, and we were this close to losing to a G5 team & a GT team that went 3-9. Point being, we should’ve never been put in a “what if” position to be 7-5 or 9-3. We should’ve been, at worst 10-2 playing in the ACCCG.
That’s all fine and dandy. Doesn’t make much sense (to me, anyway) to believe stuff that happened a generation ago (or 5 years ago. Or last year, even, when there are so many important new variables at play) has much bearing on what might happen next year.

It’s disingenuous because you are clever enough to realize that it makes no logical sense to put stock on one side of the luck coin and simultaneously discount the other side of that same coin.

Last years team - again, according to you - was talented enough/had a fortunate enough schedule to be 10-2. I tend to agree with you there. Schedule wise - we only play one P5 ooc game next year, and, it’s entirely possible (I’m riding with cribby) that this years team is actually more talented than last. Poor coaching/scheme was the primary reason for at least a few of those losses (in addition to two unfortunate results on two very routine plays) and we seem to have plugged that hole. That’s why I was confused when you brought up “lucky to be 7-5” in response to someone saying they’d be disappointed with 9 wins next season. Maybe I read it wrong, but I took it to mean that since we were lucky to win 7 games last year, we shouldn’t expect to win at least 9 next year - which is what led to my “unlucky to not be 9-3.”

Advertisement
That’s all fine and dandy. Doesn’t make much sense (to me, anyway) to believe stuff that happened a generation ago (or 5 years ago. Or last year, even, when there are so many important new variables at play) has much bearing on what might happen next year.

It’s disingenuous because you are clever enough to realize that it makes no logical sense to put stock on one side of the luck coin and simultaneously discount the other side of that same coin.

Last years team - again, according to you - was talented enough/had a fortunate enough schedule to be 10-2. I tend to agree with you there. Schedule wise - we only play one P5 ooc game next year, and, it’s entirely possible (I’m riding with cribby) that this years team is actually more talented than last. Poor coaching/scheme was the primary reason for at least a few of those losses (in addition to two unfortunate results on two very routine plays) and we seem to have plugged that hole. That’s why I was confused when you brought up “lucky to be 7-5” in response to someone saying they’d be disappointed with 9 wins next season. Maybe I read it wrong, but I took it to mean that since we were lucky to win 7 games last year, we shouldn’t expect to win at least 9 next year - which is what led to my “unlucky to not be 9-3.”

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!!! B/c u keep focusing on 7-5 & not focusing y we went 7-5. Why did we give up historic numbers to UNC? Why did we lose to FIU? We did we give up a 4th & 14 to a bad team? Why did we struggle against App St? Why did we struggle against GT?

It’s not just coaching & talent, it’s b/c we have a BROKEN CULTURE, which needs to be fixed. So my point being is, we cant “expect” for a new coach to come in & just change our culture over night. Furthermore, the ‘22 team will still have holes. Will better coaching help mask those holes? Yes, but again, I’m cautioning this fan base to not be hyper reactive if Mario in yr 1 is not Mary Poppings cleaning up chit in yr 1.

P.S-who r the Sr leaders for ‘22?

Time to move on.

Doesn't matter now if our expectations for him were too high...whether he was poorly developed..or if we're overlooking his actual contributions.

He's decided that it's in his best interest to leave us. He's made his choice. I wish him well

It's now in our best interest to quickly move on and find a replacement (adequate for now/ preferably better in the future) for him.so we can improve our defense. His leaving now only accelerates what we ALL knew needed to be done on our DL.

I'm confident that that can be accomplished by the new staff

At the end of the day, you are always better off with players that actually want to be here.

We'll be fine

Last edited:
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!!! B/c u keep focusing on 7-5 & not focusing y we went 7-5. Why did we give up historic numbers to UNC? Why did we lose to FIU? We did we give up a 4th & 14 to a bad team? Why did we struggle against App St? Why did we struggle against GT?

It’s not just coaching & talent, it’s b/c we have a BROKEN CULTURE, which needs to be fixed. So my point being is, we cant “expect” for a new coach to come in & just change our culture over night. Furthermore, the ‘22 team will still have holes. Will better coaching help mask those holes? Yes, but again, I’m cautioning this fan base to not be hyper reactive if Mario in yr 1 is not Mary Poppings cleaning up chit in yr 1.

P.S-who r the Sr leaders for ‘22?

I hear you loud and clear Rellyrell on not expecting too much in Mario's 1st year.

BUT in truth, short of a Division / Conference championship, I do expect a better performance from Mario than what Manny gave us in his final year.

There are numerous examples of good coaches turning around a program in their 1st year. The MSU team we faced this year is a recent example. They also had many holes to fill and quickly did so.So it's clearly not beyond reality ...for a good coach.

Whether Mario does so or not remains to be seen.

I frankly just cannot imagine our getting a coach who will deliver poorer results than Manny delivered so rightly or wrongly, my expectations and hopefully Mario's will remain that we improve upon our results of last year.

I do understand what you're saying, but there is no right or wrong with this.

because this clown wants to "make the crib" great again while transferring out when we're at a very weak spot with zero depth

***** him, for the first time in 20 years we get a real coaching staff and the first thing this "miami guy" does is transfer out leaving us with horrible depth. How much "class" is that for you?
How bout u suit up for us at DT bro, seems like you're more of a cane than him,right?... Cmon we need u, make the crib great again bro

Advertisement
I don't understand how we can say for 20 years our culture isn't right, we don't recruit well enough, we don't develop players....and then we bash those same players when they don't reach the potential we thought they could😂😂😂this **** is funny man

Also anyone questioning nesta's effort on the field didn't watch the games, he's one of the few that played to the whistle majority of the time

Time to move on

New coach and staff, start fresh

whoever wants to leave , bye

many players will be wanting to come to miami no matter who the coach is. Mario’s bread and butter is recruiting so I wouldn’t worry about filling any spots.

How bout u suit up for us at DT bro, seems like you're more of a cane than him,right?... Cmon we need u, make the crib great again bro

move them goal posts if that's what you feel like you need to do

Advertisement
Not moving any goal posts u talkin crazy about a kid like u ready to play. Mocking him saying he wanted to make his home school great again, u a Miami guy right? Suit ya asss up and put ya hand in the dirt we need DT depth lol

I'm not talking crazy at all, you're making **** up to make yourself feel better. I could just as easily tell you the same, to get your *** out there and play DT since you seem to know what the deal is. I didn't say he wanted to make it great again, HE DID.

Here's a baseline goal for next season -- actually blow out the middling ACC teams, and win every game we're supposed to. What's scary is about the late run of Manny is that basically ever game -- save Dook -- was a one possession game, basically (I know we put Vatech away late to extend the lead)

It's ok to realize Rome was not built in a day, but to still have some expectations
I wouldn’t hold my breath for either. At least not in year one. I’m looking at the schedule and I see one conference blowout possibly two. Duke is bad. They’re at a talent disadvantage to the rest of the league. Georgia Tech is pretty bad too. It if you’re expecting this team to just start blowing out Virginia, UNC and Virginia Tech, you’ve got unrealistic expectations. Also, FSU is pretty bad but that game is almost always competitive no matter how much better one team is.

Also, Mario’s Oregon teams were almost guaranteed to lose at least one game a year to a team they were supposed to beat. It’s likely going to happen here especially since we don’t have as huge of a talent advantage as some fans think. I’d love to say “outside of A&M and Clemson, we should roll this schedule” but I can’t honestly believe that.

Advertisement
Back