Nesta enters portal

Weve sucked for 20 years. Whats another year. Am i right.
If you think an above average college player ( at best) is what keeps us from being good or sucking we need to blow this whole thing up. After this class and the portal the front seven will be noticeably better. We need some of these kids out of here , it’s called addition by subtraction. But keep clutching your pearls.

Advertisement
Good luck with that. Half the fanbase thinks we're going undefeated for now until infinity.

You're right though. It's going to take a few classes to get this ship righted. There's not a lot of defensive talent on the roster right now.
I do still think we have more talent than the teams in the coastal. Only unc and fsu are close. Everyone else does not BUT they have developed better. Team is full of mid and high 4 star guys. I’m tired of the no talent excuse. Depth is lacking but talent is there. Just need to develop them and use them correctly. This is still a top 15 team in blue chip ratio, no excuses!!!

I do still think we have more talent than the teams in the coastal. Only unc and fsu are close. Everyone else does not BUT they have developed better. Team is full of mid and high 4 star guys. I’m tired of the no talent excuse. Depth is lacking but talent is there. Just need to develop them and use them correctly. This is still a top 15 team in blue chip ratio, no excuses!!!
If he plugs the defense up just a little we’ll be a good team. We won 5 out of six with a ****** as hc. If not for a big meltdown it’s 6-0.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If he plugs the defense up just a little we’ll be a good team. We won 5 out of six with a ****** as hc. If big for a meltdown it’s 6-0.
I think so too. We just need 1 DT, 1 MLB, 1 DE, and 1 CB. That’s just 4 players we need. I do think if the front 7 play better the DBs will look better.

There's talent on defense but 90% of it is unproven. There's not a linebacker on the roster who's proven he can play at all besides Keontra who's really more of a safety/striker type. Defensive end/Edge is a huge question mark. Harvey and Chanz Williams were 4 star guys but neither has shown much on the field. I don't think that's a scheme or development issue either since every year from 2016-2020 this team had at least one really good defensive end. I doubt they just forgot how to coach them. I hope Stevenson is back at corner because everyone else at that position is mediocre at best.

If I'm making a list of defensive players I know can play at least at a reasonably good level it's:
Stevenson
James Williams
Avantae Williams
Kam Kinchens
Keontra Smith
Leonard Taylor
Jered Harrison-Hunte
A corner, four safeties, and two 3 technique defensive tackles.

Are we better than most of the ACC also rans? Yeah. Are we so loaded with talent that a quick scheme change is going to make this defense a top unit? Nah. They CAN get a lot better but for that to happen a lot of guys who have done a whole lot of nothing so far in college need to start making plays.

If you think an above average college player ( at best) is what keeps us from being good or sucking we need to blow this whole thing up. After this class and the portal the front seven will be noticeably better. We need some of these kids out of here , it’s called addition by subtraction. But keep clutching your pearls.
So you think freshman can replace upperclassmen? Who have we picked up in the portal thats better than nesta?

Wake forest has been much better than miami with above average college players.

People literally never learn. Putting blind faith into a coach that hasnt coached a single game at miami.

Like i said. It easy to say good luck to him and that it sucks he is leaving.

I think so too. We just need 1 DT, 1 MLB, 1 DE, and 1 CB. That’s just 4 players we need. I do think if the front 7 play better the DBs will look better.
I agree with you. We don't need a massive infusion of talent to win the Coastal and make it to the ACCCG. I'd add an OL to your portal list and maybe a second LB.

Advertisement
I’m happy he was smart enough to hit the portal instead of declaring. We haven’t seen smarts like that here in a long time, if ever.

Good luck to him. Thank you for your service.
All of this post. He stayed 4 years, was a top recruit who stayed home, where are the time nobody from broward was doing that. I also expected him to go pro and make a poor choice. Didnt pan out as an elite DT guy but thank him for his service.

Also a lot of the seniors with a year left have gone through 3 coaches now if they stay, and I get it. Probably wants to go somewhere he will play most of the snaps.

I honestly don’t know what our fans watch. We have no real proven quality depth. LT is young. JHH is great sone moments and then disappears. JM hasnt done anything and we’ll see with the USC transfer. That’s 4 and none of it proven. We can’t lose guys like Nesta if just for depth without replacements so I hope they’re coming. There’s this tendency to crap on guys that leave for not being stars but depth is a thing too.
Its funny because i remember them doing the same wiith Shaq and Pinkney ....they couldnt wait to get "SPEED" on the field at backer better ...then Bradley Jennins n company got on the field.

Like you stated...there is no true proven depth at DT. Being happy the best 1 you had leaves isnt exactly a good spot..when you aint replace him in hs recruiting and not sure what you can get out the portal.

There's talent on defense but 90% of it is unproven. There's not a linebacker on the roster who's proven he can play at all besides Keontra who's really more of a safety/striker type. Defensive end/Edge is a huge question mark. Harvey and Chanz Williams were 4 star guys but neither has shown much on the field. I don't think that's a scheme or development issue either since every year from 2016-2020 this team had at least one really good defensive end. I doubt they just forgot how to coach them. I hope Stevenson is back at corner because everyone else at that position is mediocre at best.

If I'm making a list of defensive players I know can play at least at a reasonably good level it's:
Stevenson
James Williams
Avantae Williams
Kam Kinchens
Keontra Smith
Leonard Taylor
Jered Harrison-Hunte
A corner, four safeties, and two 3 technique defensive tackles.

Are we better than most of the ACC also rans? Yeah. Are we so loaded with talent that a quick scheme change is going to make this defense a top unit? Nah. They CAN get a lot better but for that to happen a lot of guys who have done a whole lot of nothing so far in college need to start making plays.

Advertisement
So? Our DL was the worst it had been in years, and everyone got fired. Being the hottest girl in the ugly school doesn't make you pretty.

LT
JHH
Lichtenstein
TBD Portal

Will all or most be ahead of Nesta. Smart move by the kid.

Next deflection.
Trench talk is not something i think you should really get into it with me about.

LT had to threaten to leave to get on the field. Isnt a NOSE..not a consistent motor..and plays high alot. Love his upside.
JHH- GETS pushed around a lot in the run game. He and LT are 3 techs. They are guys good at getting skinny or working move supfield.
Lichtenstein-Not a nose. an edge.
TBD PORTAL- I have never seen TBD Make a play yet. There's a reason TBD is int he portal as well

If im him i go to Pitt. Him n Kalijah Kancey would be problems.
Or like @DMoney said a pac 12 team he would eat out there.

Yall clamoring for JHH and LT will be in for a rude awakening....BOTH need ALOT of weight room work..JHH more than LT...They both get pushed around alot in the run game. Both are real good pass rushers at an early age..mainly LT with his swim move.

This team will DEFINATELY need portal DTS.

Dont think this has anything to do with Mario considering they likely only had a team meeting or something with the break. He aint had no time to crack the whip...and what scheme he doesnt fit? we dont even have a dc lol
Anyone watching the tape would see he was our best dt last szn.
My brotha..JHH is going into his 4th season..if he can’t be depended on by now to be an anchor of that DT room..then he’s a bust at this point. Some on here were pegging him as a NFL pick going into last year!

So you think freshman can replace upperclassmen? Who have we picked up in the portal thats better than nesta?

Wake forest has been much better than miami with above average college players.

People literally never learn. Putting blind faith into a coach that hasnt coached a single game at miami.

Like i said. It easy to say good luck to him and that it sucks he is leaving.
I’m not putting faith in anything.

I also know Mario must create a culture unlike Manny. You don’t think he hasn’t sat down and talked to every single player on this team and asked their opinions or concerns ?

Btw Lets compare defensive rosters game one ok? Opening day 22 vs 21.

Advertisement
My brotha..JHH is going into his 4th season..if he can’t be depended on by now to be an anchor of that DT room..then he’s a bust at this point. Some on here were pegging him as a NFL pick going into last year!

Based off of most of the post on this thread i wouldnt trust the evals on some on here.

Keep in mind i like that kid as a player.

Good luck with that. Half the fanbase thinks we're going undefeated for now until infinity.

You're right though. It's going to take a few classes to get this ship righted. There's not a lot of defensive talent on the roster right now.

I would look at it this way.

I know there will be transition. I know there will be pains. But we play a weak-a$$ schedule next year. Not to mention, this year's team won 5 of 6 knowing **** well that either the coach was a lame-duck or half the team was leaving.

I think we'll do fairly well next year.

Advertisement
Back