Nebraska to acc Ohio to sec ?

How hard is it to not type one **** word?

Baboon?

By the way, don't these boards have the option to just auto-search-and-replace certain words?

Like, we could have the board display the word "bassoon" every time someone tries to use the word "baboon".

Advertisement
I THINK YOU WILL SEE A LOT OF THIS TEAMS OR PLAYERS ACTUALLY LEAVING THE PROGRAMS AND MOVING TO PLACES WHERE THEY CAN PLAY. I MEAN WHY MESS UP YOUR WHOLE CAREER JUST BC SOME CHEESE HEAD A HOLES CANT GET IT TOGETHER. IF THE ACC, SEC AND BIG 12 CAN PLAY THIS YEAR SO CAN THEY. I DO FEEL BAD FOR TEAMS LIKE OREGON WHO WONT BE ABLE TO PLAY BC THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO ACTUALLY MAKE IT THIS YR AND YEARS TO COME.

maybe some of the lawyers on here can answer this.... if said members leave and are sued for breach of contract, could the Big 10 be sued for failure to provide said members with the opportunity to fulfill said contract?

No lawyer can honestly answer that question without first reviewing the contract(s).
But, theoretically, if the Big Ten somehow breached the agreement with its member schools by cancelling the season (maybe they didn't follow proper contractual protocols, for instance, or it could be proven that they were not acting in good faith (much more difficult and unlikely)), the member schools might be able to counterclaim for breach of contract (and/or, potentially, terminate the agreement). The argument would be something like, "you can't sue us for breaching the agreement by leaving, because you had already breached the agreement by [insert contractual basis]."

Advertisement
Without seeing the contract, it is impossible to know for certain. I imagine the conference as well as the schools have responsibilities under the agreement, which could potentially come into play. For instance, if cancelling a season provides a termination option for any of the parties, that could be relevant. Also, if there are requirements/procedures for cancelling a season that were not followed to the letter of the contract, that may itself qualify as a breach of contract, thus allowing the schools to walk without penalty.

Also, drafting a liquidated damages provision isn't overly challenging, but actually enforcing one can be. There needs to be a logically defensible basis between the liquidated damages sought and the damages flowing from the contract. Otherwise, it won't be enforced. Which, again, will depend on that actual contract language.

So, in short, a) contract interpretation is in the eye of the beholder and b) you haven't seen the contract. Is that accurate?

maybe some of the lawyers on here can answer this.... if said members leave and are sued for breach of contract, could the Big 10 be sued for failure to provide said members with the opportunity to fulfill said contract?

No.

Joining a conference (as many people have forgotten) is about more than just athletics. As just an example, the Big 10 has been one of the most prestigious ACADEMIC conferences (besides the Ivy League) for nearly 100 years.

Anyone CAN leave the Big 10. Just leave. BUT...the various contracts that have been entered into that are more specific than actual membership (such as media rights contracts) are drafted with a lot more specificity than a "fill-in-the-blank template contract" like Miami used with Arkansas State.

Think about this. The ENTIRE NCAA cancelled spring sports. Yes, we love football, but the #2 revenue sport is basketball. And the whole NCAA Tournament was cancelled. Nobody stood up and said "let's play the Tournament with whoever wants to play".

Now, I do realize that this fall semester situation is different, as some conferences want to play and some do not. But as long as a majority of the conference votes to NOT play (and I realize that might be in question, this new Big 10 Commissioner is pretty sketchy), then you are not going to have grounds for "failure to provide said members with the opportunity to fulfill said contract". Remember, the entire TV contract (and the money) accrues to the CONFERENCE. The money that Nebraska gets is a PROFIT-SHARE. Thus, Nebraska is not formally entitled to 1/12 of the Big 10 TV money. If there is no money, there is no profit, and there is no profit-share.

I realize that this can seem like a bunch of hair-splitting. I think that a more likely scenario (though I don't think it can be accomplished in such limited time) would be to allow any "2020 defectors" to play JUST FOR THIS YEAR. If you could scrape together 10 teams from the Big 10 AND the Pac 12 (and maybe a couple of spare parts like BYU), you could possibly have a group that would support (a) scheduling, and (b) a collective group that could negotiate for TV broadcast money.

That seems entirely not possible if they voted as a conference and 12 out of 14 schools voted to not play the season. I’m sure conference bylaws dictate that votes are taken and that’s how critical decision like this are made

Advertisement
So, in short, a) contract interpretation is in the eye of the beholder and b) you haven't seen the contract. Is that accurate?
I wouldn't quite phrase a) that way, and I think the answer to b) is quite clearly "no" based on the substance of my post. Have you reviewed the contract(s) at issue?

1597697970746.png

I'm confused...is Ohio State anywhere near the Southeast, and is Nebraska anywhere near the Atlantic Ocean?

Advertisement
Advertisement
You dumbasses believing some random dude on twitter, no wonder half yall think the earth is flat
I just heard from a very reliable source on MySpace by the name of "MoButtCheekz74" that Stanford is soooooo ****ed at the Pac-12 that they're basically a done deal to the Big East.

Advertisement
Back