NCAA Selections Noon ESPN2

OK, but how is Maryland hosting with an RPI of 9, but a SOS of #107. 1-0-7!!! That's an Ivy League or MEAC SOS.

Maryland should not be hosting. If they get a top 8 seed, you know the fix is in as ND had an RPI of #11 and a SOS of #54 in 2021 compared to the #9 RPI and SOS of 107 and was snubbed of a top 8 seed. ND had 25 ACC wins in 2021 while Maryland had 18 wins where 8 of their 13 teams have a 100+ RPI. Basically, Maryland played 4 midweek games every week.

Teams with a 100+ SOS are:
Loyala Marymount - 101
Belmont - 106
South Florida - 110
FAU - 111
Penn State- 113
Indiana State - 115

Teams Better SOS than Maryland:
Houston Baptist - 73
William & Mary - 80
Samford - 88
Nevada - 93
Jacksonville- 94
Bradley - 99

Maryland SOS is weaker than 1 bid conferences. They don't deserve to host let alone be a top 8 seed.
They tend to punish poor NC SOS rather than overall SOS and Maryland is okay for a “northern” school at 138. I don’t think Maryland should be a Top 8 for their lack of Top 50 wins, but that’s just me.

Advertisement
A team’s SOS is already calculated into their RPI. Their record against that schedule makes them the #9 team.
Who said it wasn't? That's the weakness of the RPI and it's not the only consideration in seeding. Otherwise, Wake Forest and Vanderbilt would be top 8 seeds.

Maryland won a bunch of games against weak teams. They played basically 4 midweek games each weak. 8/13 Big 10 teams have an RPI of 100+. They really have no business hosting and definitely not in the top 8. It's like one of those small schools in the NCAA basketball tournament that goes 30-2, but doesn't win their conference tournament. They don't get rewarded for winning 30 games against a bunch of weak teams. Nor should Maryland.

The Big 10 has the name, but it's only 8th in conference baseball RPI barely above the 1 bid Missouri Valley an 10th in iterative conference strength.

I'm NO ND fan, but they got screwed out of a top 8 seed last year with the #11 RPI and 25-10 ACC conference leading record.

Advertisement
Is it possible the committee deemed ND a poor host site and might make them a #1 seed at another site? Just got hone drunk but I believe it’s happened before, ya?

Georgia Southern hosts. Seems to be no Norman. They didn’t win quickly enough.
I saw people here complaining earlier but the Sun Belt is a top heavy very good baseball conf. Look at GSU non con schedule. App St, Coastal are both good teams this year and Louisiana has historically been a solid team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back