NCAA preparing to pass new "Miami Rule" (End grad transfers)

The proposal makes sense.

They'll have to tweak the timing and exempt grad players at their original school. But, aside from that, the proposal makes sense.

The players aren't restricted. But the college programs will have to give more thought to how they want to manage their "free-agency" process.

Advertisement
Also interesting to note Texas Tech has key players on their Final Four squad who are 23 and 24 years old.

Please explain for someone too lazy to read the article. How do they expect a 1 year grad transfer to complete his master's degree? As far as I know, you can only grad transfer to a school offering a certain graduate level course your original school doesn't offer.

So what about the kid who redshirts or gets hurt and enrolls in grad school at the same institution for a semester to play what would essentially be a fifth year? Schools gonna lose a scholarship there too if he doesn't finish his grad degree?

They are playing a dangerous game and one I expect that will blow up in their faces, in a catastrophic way.

It already is. I'm not into CFB like I used to be, and it has very little to do with our product on the field. It's not much fun watching the same teams compete year-in and year-out. In fact, it's extremely boring, and I have very little interest in watching Clemson / BAMA V.

Advertisement
I...don't really get the uproar? This wouldn't have impacted our most important transfers this year (Martell, Bolden) and basically requires that a grad transfer actually...you know...pursue a graduate degree at the school they go to.

What's the big deal?
KJ Osburn is a grad transfer.

Last edited:
You guys have it all wrong, it’s “all about the kids” fellas.

Now think real hard who this prior grad transfer rule has ****ed off the most. Think short little tyrannical madman who wants every rule to benefit him...who almost never takes grad transfers but has lost a few prominent ones.

Hmmm...who could it be?
Short little tyrannical madman....hmmm

It's Napoleon, isn't it....That little dude has had it out for Miami since Thrill Hill went wild in the tunnel during the Canes' rout of the Sorbonne in the 1815 Waterloo Bowl....

The proposal makes sense.

They'll have to tweak the timing and exempt grad players at their original school. But, aside from that, the proposal makes sense.

The players aren't restricted. But the college programs will have to give more thought to how they want to manage their "free-agency" process.

School restriction equals player restriction make no bones about it. If there are 2 great players that absolutely want in to one school but the school can’t take the scholly hit, maybe they only take the 1 kid. Then the one left ha going has to do what’s? Gather more “offers” and try and make another decision hoping that new school can take him given the restricted movement?

I...don't really get the uproar? This wouldn't have impacted our most important transfers this year (Martell, Bolden) and basically requires that a grad transfer actually...you know...pursue a graduate degree at the school they go to.

What's the big deal?

It doesn't require a grad transfer pursue a degree. THat was already required. It requires a grad transfer complete a graduate degree and if he doesn't the school is punished. Seems pretty backwards to me. It's significantly limiting opportunity for student athletes both on the field and in the classroom. What's the reason for it?

Advertisement
Think of someone like Joe Burrow. They pointed out during last year's game how he had his degree and was enrolled in an online class toward his master's. Can you really say you're a student athlete if you're on campus for football but taking a class online?

I am ok with this.

If a player is leaving under the pretense of getting their master's degree...and the NCAA gives them carte blanche to do so...and then simply fails to get it...then, I am fine with giving the school a penalty.

If you want a one year internship before going pro...just go play on a practice squad.

Advertisement
I am ok with this.

If a player is leaving under the pretense of getting their master's degree...and the NCAA gives them carte blanche to do so...and then simply fails to get it...then, I am fine with giving the school a penalty.

If you want a one year internship before going pro...just go play on a practice squad.

If the NCAA was actually interested with the student portion of student athlete they would shut themselves down.

Advertisement
who cares? we got the grad transfers this year when there were huge gaps in the roster. with winning and good recruiting we shouldn't have t depend on them anymore.

f@ck the NCAA

I can't be bothered to read it, can somebody summarize the BS reason they claim this rule is a good idea?

This isn't a bad rule. It puts pressure on the University's to make their kids graduate. Good for the NCAA. Certainly puts academics first.

Advertisement
Back