NC are threatening to yank UNC and NC State out of ACC

So stupid. They would immediately have to pay a $100 Million exit fee to the ACC, and then what?

Where they going to join American Conference? TV deals go from $20M per school to $2M per school.

So taxpayers lose $136M to leave the ACC, great idea...

Advertisement
No way the state has the cojones to do this. Minus the political mess - paying the exit fee and then finding a new conference? tv contracts, etc...no way the govt wants any part of the mess. This is just some politician trying to look big in front of his constituents....which is also surprising. as an outsider, i would have guessed both those teams/schools where untouchable in the state.

Lmfao, exactly. You can't legislate their way out of the exit fee.

UM

proxy.php

Advertisement
Republicans are obsessed with homosexuals.

No I'm not, devout catholic/republican and I don't feel the need to force my beliefs on anybody. The GOP(other than a few) are just stuck in the 40's.

Last edited:
...... y'all do understand the ACC is a basketball league first right? all your doing is opening the door for Kansas since the Big 12 is a mess.

Trust me.. if the ACC/UNC have no counter measure.. The ACC is not giving up UNC (a basketball power house) just to continue their fake outrage over a couple laws. UNC brings in a lot of money for the ACC conference.

Yeah, no. Football is the $$$ king in college sports period. If the ACC was truly a basketball first conference, they never would have expanded. Adding Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech drastically weakened their basketball conference strength (at the time) but they couldn't wait to sign them up for the chance for extra football money. The gamble paid off significantly as the most recent ACC television deal, which runs through 2027, pays schools over twice what the previous deal did. While Notre Dame offers a competitive basketball program, the only reason the ACC is ****ing around with them is the hopes of making ND a football member in the near future. The tobacco road dorks are still angry about ACC expansion watering down their precious basketball conference but it doesn't matter because cash is king and football rakes in cash.

Advertisement
...... y'all do understand the ACC is a basketball league first right? all your doing is opening the door for Kansas since the Big 12 is a mess.

Trust me.. if the ACC/UNC have no counter measure.. The ACC is not giving up UNC (a basketball power house) just to continue their fake outrage over a couple laws. UNC brings in a lot of money for the ACC conference.

Yeah, no. Football is the $$$ king in college sports period. If the ACC was truly a basketball first conference, they never would have expanded. Adding Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech drastically weakened their basketball conference strength (at the time) but they couldn't wait to sign them up for the chance for extra football money. The gamble paid off significantly as the most recent ACC television deal, which runs through 2027, pays schools over twice what the previous deal did. While Notre Dame offers a competitive basketball program, the only reason the ACC is ****ing around with them is the hopes of making ND a football member in the near future. The tobacco road dorks are still angry about ACC expansion watering down their precious basketball conference but it doesn't matter because cash is king and football rakes in cash.

solid point.

So a state is going to remove UNC and NCState from the ACC who has a binding tv grant of rights deal signed with every school until like 2030? Plus UNC's biggest rival is Duke.

Yeah ******* right. Like they're just going to sacrifice $25M/yr. GTFOH.

The only thing making this believable is that the State of North Carolina is ******* retarded. Supreme Court says it illegal not to let g.ay's get married ---- **** it, lets make it illegal again anyways!
The state of North Carolina, and really all the states in the south ******* suck.

Last edited:

And everyone in North Carolina is waiting for that Death Penalty coming from the NCAA...Roy Williams doesn't have a commit with anything higher than an 87 point ranking coming next year..The Bell is about to Toll...

Advertisement
No way the state forces the 2 schools to leave the ACC. Zero chance. Not going to happen no matter how many championship games the ACC withholds or whatever laws are passed or aren't passed. Empty threat.

Advertisement
But what about duke and wake? They can stay, right?

Whew, that was a close one...

State has no control over private universities, which they are.

They're both public schools! You're talking about Duke and Wake Forest. That's besides the point! Those Presidents of those institutions would raise so much **** if the State forced them to leave the ACC. You know how much revenue they would lose, you're talking multi millions lmao..

Yea, that would be a quickest way to get voted out of office lol!

Should have been more explicit, Duke and Wake Forest are private schools.

"The new bill, HB 728, states that if an intercollegiate athletic association boycotts North Carolina, then the University of North Carolina campuses that are a part of that conference would be prohibited from extending the grant of media rights to that conference. As a private school, Duke would not be affected by the new bill."
https://www.si.com/college-basketba...na-hb2-bill-acc-championship-boycott-nc-state

This article just says that they wouldn't allow them to resign a grant of rights deal extension with the ACC.
Title is misleading. Also the ban to disallow them to resign of grant of rights deal is for 5 years after the boycott has ended.
It also forces the university to put the money they receive from the conference tv rights into escrow until the school has enough money to pay a fine to leave the conference.
And if the conference boycots, the universitys will be forced to send written notice of their intent to withdraw once the media rights deal is up.

so I guess I really wouldn't be surprised if the state passed this, they are obviously stupid enough to. Anyways I doubt this boycott by the ACC would last for 5 years anyway.

No way the state forces the 2 schools to leave the ACC. Zero chance. Not going to happen no matter how many championship games the ACC withholds or whatever laws are passed or aren't passed. Empty threat.

I mostly agree with this. But the state legislature seemed A-OK with losing a few billion dollars, a few thousand jobs, and making NC a national laughingstock because they wanted to show the world that no one--not the feds, the NCAA, or the big meanies in corporate America--could force them to accept trans folks going to the bathroom of their choice and extend legal non-discrimination protections to LGBT people. So who the **** knows?

Log Cabin Republicans is the nation’s largest Republican organization dedicated to representing LGBT conservatives and allies. For more than 30 years, we have promoted the fight for equality through our state and local chapters, our full-time office in Washington, DC, and our federal and state political action committees.

Log Cabin Republicans

oxymoron like a mug.

Advertisement
Back