National recruiting

Advertisement
Miami has also always been a National brand; The U symbol is still looked at positively by kids around the country.

It only became a joke to local South FL kids because they used to clown us & use as a placeholder while they were getting bagged up from the SEC & B1G schools.

But now with NIL in affect & a legitimate coaching staff, we can get nearly any premier National player we want because Miami aside from being a historic (in the eyes of recruits) destination for Football, is also a Big market program that can sell so many opportunities outside of Football that makes us enticing.

People genuinely thought NIL wouldn’t help us, what was overlooked was small college towns are overly booster reliant, but that doesn’t give a lot of leeway for ingenuity & innovation; Big City = Big Opportunities, Big Opportunities = More commerce; Small towns in Middle of Nowheresville can’t compete with the atmosphere of Miami & now that we can have legal financial bids with other teams we’re winning most of these battles because other schools were overly reliant on the mystique of being a Big Fish in a little pond...

The reason I been pushing for TX for such a long time is from having lived worked & coached there, I know for a fact those kids are actually more receptive to us than most would assume; I’m still in touch with several 7v7 coaches in both Dallas & Houston regions & they tell me all the time the kids down there love The U. We just over the years have always neglected the region, while Bama, UGA, Clemson & Oh ST were making the playoffs & winning titles off stealing those kids.

Now, we won’t be missing out... And we’ll start landing kids from all over in places we would never even imagine. Especially with kids flocking to IMG every year, they’ll now have way more exposure & much closer access to us while being OOS kids in Florida & it will make for a much easier to sell to their families considering they’re in Florida already.

It’s like we’re in the construction business & one of our own just got elected to be the head of the Union; we’re about to eat!
what's the feedback or vibe from s. florida coaches? animosity that their kids aren't getting a look? or all good?

When Mario was hired, the task was clear:

1) Garner a larger share of the best South Florida players (check);
2) Same in the rest of Florida (check);
3) Use better results as a springboard to cherry pick nationally.

We're doing three without playing a game, which is blowing my mind.

@Liberty City El has been saying for years that we need to recruit nationally. His (accurate) point was that you can’t win national championships without national players.

My concern was always that we were getting leftovers nationally. I thought we had to win a little bit before we could compete with the big boys outside of Florida.

Mario has proven me wrong. We spent $80 million on the best recruiter in the country and then spent more on an elite staff. That, along with NIL, has allowed to skip a couple steps and take on the top dogs.

- Jaleel Skinner (South Carolina) picked Miami over Bama.

- Cyrus Moss (Las Vegas) picked Miami over USC

- TreVonte’ Citizen (Louisiana) picked Miami over LSU.

It has only gone up from there. Mario has a chance to land the #1 player in Washington and the #1 player in Oregon. That doesn’t make geographical sense. He beat Iowa for a Minnesota TE. He beat Clemson and OU for a Texas TE. Beat everyone for an elite California QB. Next up is stealing a New Jersey safety from Ohio State.

And this is just the beginning.
Talk that good ***** my dude! All real.

Advertisement
Miami has also always been a National brand; The U symbol is still looked at positively by kids around the country.

It only became a joke to local South FL kids because they used to clown us & use as a placeholder while they were getting bagged up from the SEC & B1G schools.

But now with NIL in affect & a legitimate coaching staff, we can get nearly any premier National player we want because Miami aside from being a historic (in the eyes of recruits) destination for Football, is also a Big market program that can sell so many opportunities outside of Football that makes us enticing.

People genuinely thought NIL wouldn’t help us, what was overlooked was small college towns are overly booster reliant, but that doesn’t give a lot of leeway for ingenuity & innovation; Big City = Big Opportunities, Big Opportunities = More commerce; Small towns in Middle of Nowheresville can’t compete with the atmosphere of Miami & now that we can have legal financial bids with other teams we’re winning most of these battles because other schools were overly reliant on the mystique of being a Big Fish in a little pond...

The reason I been pushing for TX for such a long time is from having lived worked & coached there, I know for a fact those kids are actually more receptive to us than most would assume; I’m still in touch with several 7v7 coaches in both Dallas & Houston regions & they tell me all the time the kids down there love The U. We just over the years have always neglected the region, while Bama, UGA, Clemson & Oh ST were making the playoffs & winning titles off stealing those kids.

Now, we won’t be missing out... And we’ll start landing kids from all over in places we would never even imagine. Especially with kids flocking to IMG every year, they’ll now have way more exposure & much closer access to us while being OOS kids in Florida & it will make for a much easier to sell to their families considering they’re in Florida already.

It’s like we’re in the construction business & one of our own just got elected to be the head of the Union; we’re about to eat!
I don't see the optimism for TX, but on board with everything else.

Texas and Jimbo are recruiting at levels that I don't think Bama can even keep up with. With mostly mediocre results the past 10 years, they've almost overnight put up a border around Texas and are getting the elite kids to stay home. From a distance, TX kids seem a lot more "bought in" to in-state schools than FL kids right now.

It was always about effort on both fronts. We’re reaping the benefits of true, relentless recruiting efforts that comes with competency.
wish somebody could bring up those old threads lol.....we got scorched for trying to tell everybody Miami needs to go national.....tried to explain strong relationships have been built by other schools in sfla....this went on for months...

@DMoney you were actually right when Manny Diaz was HC because he had no appeal to attract National recruits.

The reason why it’s working now is because
1) the financial investment in the program is real
2) Mario is national coach from his time at Bama & as HC at Oregon

I suspect at least 95% of these National recruits we’re after we wouldn’t stand a chance with if we still had Manny at the helm. I didn’t think it would happen this soon, my summation was that it would take a class or 2 before the National kids got back on board with us.

When he was able to snag TreVonte Citizen from out of Louisiana & I was proven wrong in that instance, in which @supacane was 100% right, that’s when I realized that Mario was really about to bulldoze over the National recruiting trail, because landing a 4-star high ranked kid from Louisiana has been a rare feat to accomplish if you weren’t LSU, Bama or TAMU.

I knew we were getting Cyrus Moss, but stealing Citizen was a huge win that laid the foundation for what was to come.

Now this class for 2023 is looking to be predominantly OOS with a good mix of local athletes who are explosive & good athletic upside.

Once we forge a pipeline into TX, STL & the Northeast all **** is going to break lose in the recruiting world, because all the Playoff teams have been hoarding all the talent from those regions for themselves & now that Miami has bought our stake of land & planted our flag in the ground in regions we normally would be laughed out of town in, the rest of College Football is in trouble...

I underestimated how fast he would be able to turn things around on the recruiting front, because the fog of the last 20 years clouded my judgement, but Mario has made it clear he plans on winning & winning big ASAP & these first 2 classes will be the building blocks for what returns us back to prominence.

We are on the rise!
It’s been so long since we have competence, it made you forget how attractive Miami really is.

We could have been going National before. You can’t be lazy and arrogant on the trail like Mario’s predecessors have, though.

You think it’s fire now, just wait til we win 10-11 games. PANDEMONIUM!

Advertisement

I was born in 94. The entire south side of Houston from 99 to at least 2008 wore heavy cane gear. We were all fans. People reading this may think I’m exaggerating but the only school more popular in my neighborhood was UT. Now that’s not even the case UH has risen. I’ve had a lot of convos in recent times, and I’ve seen things. Miami is IN Houston’s trenches. Watch what Mario does.

Advertisement
what's the feedback or vibe from s. florida coaches? animosity that their kids aren't getting a look? or all good?
it's a chess, not checkers, thing it seems.

I believe Mario is getting national commitments that make the local players hope to get recruited by UM instead of thinking of us as a "fallback offer".

and the coaches are being respected top level (remember the coaching clinic) and lobbying for the U to consider their top kids

Genius!!

I was born in 94. The entire south side of Houston from 99 to at least 2008 wore heavy cane gear. We were all fans. People reading this may think I’m exaggerating but the only school more popular in my neighborhood was UT. Now that’s not even the case UH has risen. I’ve had a lot of convos in recent times, and I’ve seen things. Miami is IN Houston’s trenches. Watch what Mario does.
Hicks reference? 👀👀👀

it's a chess, not checkers, thing it seems.

I believe Mario is getting national commitments that make the local players hope to get recruited by UM instead of thinking of us as a "fallback offer".

and the coaches are being respected top level (remember the coaching clinic) and lobbying for the U to consider their top kids

Genius!!
This is exactly right

Advertisement
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Miami only became a joke bc the guys running the program were a joke. It’s not hard to understand that once a national brand, in one of the top cities in America, got a competent staff that a rise to elite status was gonna happen.

Now did anyone see it happening this fast? No. But recruiting is Mario’s game. Guy could sell ice to an Eskimo. Finally feels like we can let the walls down and be happy, without that we’re gonna suck and lose our class feeling.

@Liberty City El has been saying for years that we need to recruit nationally. His (accurate) point was that you can’t win national championships without national players.

My concern was always that we were getting leftovers nationally. I thought we had to win a little bit before we could compete with the big boys outside of Florida.

Mario has proven me wrong. We spent $80 million on the best recruiter in the country and then spent more on an elite staff. That, along with NIL, has allowed to skip a couple steps and take on the top dogs.

- Jaleel Skinner (South Carolina) picked Miami over Bama.

- Cyrus Moss (Las Vegas) picked Miami over USC

- TreVonte’ Citizen (Louisiana) picked Miami over LSU.

It has only gone up from there. Mario has a chance to land the #1 player in Washington and the #1 player in Oregon. That doesn’t make geographical sense. He beat Iowa for a Minnesota TE. He beat Clemson and OU for a Texas TE. Beat everyone for an elite California QB. Next up is stealing a New Jersey safety from Ohio State.

And this is just the beginning.

Internationally known and locally respected...

Advertisement
Back