National recruiting

@Liberty City El has been saying for years that we need to recruit nationally. His (accurate) point was that you can’t win national championships without national players.

My concern was always that we were getting leftovers nationally. I thought we had to win a little bit before we could compete with the big boys outside of Florida.

Mario has proven me wrong. We spent $80 million on the best recruiter in the country and then spent more on an elite staff. That, along with NIL, has allowed to skip a couple steps and take on the top dogs.

- Jaleel Skinner (South Carolina) picked Miami over Bama.

- Cyrus Moss (Las Vegas) picked Miami over USC

- TreVonte’ Citizen (Louisiana) picked Miami over LSU.

It has only gone up from there. Mario has a chance to land the #1 player in Washington and the #1 player in Oregon. That doesn’t make geographical sense. He beat Iowa for a Minnesota TE. He beat Clemson and OU for a Texas TE. Beat everyone for an elite California QB. Next up is stealing a New Jersey safety from Ohio State.

And this is just the beginning.
Unbelievable when you read it all together like this.

Advertisement
Like LCE calling the recruit SFL crowd homers, I remember @Zbrod95 having exchanges with d$ and Macho about recruiting nationally - going back years now. I don’t think we had the staff to really do it effectively before but with Mario, anything’s really possible it seams. This is great for our brand again.

Travonte Citizen will be RB1 before the end of the season.
Big if, but if Chaney is healthy he’s number 1. He’s too talented. I hate the disclaimer about health because that’s the story for a lot of athletes.
Franklin better get some run in short yardage and late in games. As he is too much for a tired defense to deal with.
Rooster and Parrish need to catch 4-6 swings, and wheel routes per game.

Advertisement
@Liberty City El has been saying for years that we need to recruit nationally. His (accurate) point was that you can’t win national championships without national players.

My concern was always that we were getting leftovers nationally. I thought we had to win a little bit before we could compete with the big boys outside of Florida.

Mario has proven me wrong. We spent $80 million on the best recruiter in the country and then spent more on an elite staff. That, along with NIL, has allowed to skip a couple steps and take on the top dogs.

- Jaleel Skinner (South Carolina) picked Miami over Bama.

- Cyrus Moss (Las Vegas) picked Miami over USC

- TreVonte’ Citizen (Louisiana) picked Miami over LSU.

It has only gone up from there. Mario has a chance to land the #1 player in Washington and the #1 player in Oregon. That doesn’t make geographical sense. He beat Iowa for a Minnesota TE. He beat Clemson and OU for a Texas TE. Beat everyone for an elite California QB. Next up is stealing a New Jersey safety from Ohio State.

And this is just the beginning.
big bang boomerang GIF

Like LCE calling the recruit SFL crowd homers, I remember @Zbrod95 having exchanges with d$ and Macho about recruiting nationally - going back years now. I don’t think we had the staff to really do it effectively before but with Mario, anything’s really possible it seams. This is great for our brand again.
I remember the same. Kudos to @Zbrod95 and @Liberty City El.

Let’s ride!

Advertisement
Inve$t in the program and reap the benefit$..

I'd say that's it. Investment in the coaching staff, planned facilities upgrades, etc.

I don't think you were wrong D, NIL and actually having a deep pocketed booster or ten has sped up the process as much as anything. If those donors / investors packed up shop, we'd be dead in the water until we started winning on the field. Even then, it would be like trying to swim uphill and I'm not sure how much headway we'd make without NIL backing.

This is a strange new world we have in college football. Give Saban Iowa States NIL budget and see how far he takes them. Mario and company are great and that likely saves some money, but take the money away and most of these coaches will appear human in comparisons to the coach at buy every player U.

He is a maniac. And this is personal for him. Pair that with the support of a REAL top notch AD, a football GM who seemingly has the exact same mind, and the financial backing to do this right - if he wins 10 games this year this class is going to be insanity
So much at stake this season. A big season will really get this ship cruising. Can’t afford bull**** coastal losses this time around.

I remember the same. Kudos to @Zbrod95 and @Liberty City El.

Let’s ride!
It was always about effort on both fronts. We’re reaping the benefits of true, relentless recruiting efforts that comes with competency.

Advertisement
@DMoney you were actually right when Manny Diaz was HC because he had no appeal to attract National recruits.

The reason why it’s working now is because
1) the financial investment in the program is real
2) Mario is national coach from his time at Bama & as HC at Oregon

I suspect at least 95% of these National recruits we’re after we wouldn’t stand a chance with if we still had Manny at the helm. I didn’t think it would happen this soon, my summation was that it would take a class or 2 before the National kids got back on board with us.

When he was able to snag TreVonte Citizen from out of Louisiana & I was proven wrong in that instance, in which @supacane was 100% right, that’s when I realized that Mario was really about to bulldoze over the National recruiting trail, because landing a 4-star high ranked kid from Louisiana has been a rare feat to accomplish if you weren’t LSU, Bama or TAMU.

I knew we were getting Cyrus Moss, but stealing Citizen was a huge win that laid the foundation for what was to come.

Now this class for 2023 is looking to be predominantly OOS with a good mix of local athletes who are explosive & good athletic upside.

Once we forge a pipeline into TX, STL & the Northeast all **** is going to break lose in the recruiting world, because all the Playoff teams have been hoarding all the talent from those regions for themselves & now that Miami has bought our stake of land & planted our flag in the ground in regions we normally would be laughed out of town in, the rest of College Football is in trouble...

I underestimated how fast he would be able to turn things around on the recruiting front, because the fog of the last 20 years clouded my judgement, but Mario has made it clear he plans on winning & winning big ASAP & these first 2 classes will be the building blocks for what returns us back to prominence.

We are on the rise!

Big if, but if Chaney is healthy he’s number 1. He’s too talented. I hate the disclaimer about health because that’s the story for a lot of athletes.
Franklin better get some run in short yardage and late in games. As he is too much for a tired defense to deal with.
Rooster and Parrish need to catch 4-6 swings, and wheel routes per game.
Was rewatching some games from last year

My goodness Rooster is explosive. Just can’t be running it 30 times a game but what a weapon he can be in this O

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back