Myth Buster: Talent or Coaching?

Advertisement
Too bad football isn’t played with an injury off setting tho. If I’m not mistaken Texas, FLA, USC, Tenn etc etc have always looked good by 247 rating on paper. Neither has been winning like the 247 composite suggests they should be the past decade or so. You need your talent spread out throughout the roster and not concentrated at a few positions
We have had enough in a weak conference to do way better than what we have been doing

Miami doesn't have enough talent to consistently beat the Bama's Clemson's, Ohio State's, Georgia's.

But Miami has had enough talent to win 9+ games a year in the absolutely god awful Coastal.
Well let me send you over the edge my friend… we’ve won 2 of the last 8 games versus UNC.

Inexcusable… that covers 3 staphs.

Biggest roster needs for this class is DB and DL

Emphasis of this class by this staff has been DB/D-Line

Last cycle we had an elite haul at Oline, and LB (very good at LB probably not elite)..safe to say Oline is still a priority now. And linebacker is still a priority. In years past we wouldn’t stack rooms year over year. You look at Bama, UGA, OSU..or in a lesser case of successful programs UofM or a Penn state the positions are stacked annually. Even at developmental programs you bring in comp. Mario was notorious for this at Oregon. It’s why a penai Sewell could be replaced by another nfl talent like Maleasala Aumavae-Laulu..or Christian Gonzalez can replace mykael Wright..a javon Holland gets replaced by verone mcKinnely..or my favorite example, DJ Johnson gets stashed away with physical talent galore behind Kayvon thibs before having a productive money year..

I wrote all that to conclude the talent is gunna be here fellas. And the distribution and stacking of talent will make sense. We’re gunna get back to seeing 5 guys taken in the draft annually under Mario. And that will lead to competing for conference titles and playoff talk annually

Advertisement
We have had enough in a weak conference to do way better than what we have been doing
No. Clearly we haven’t had enough. Go look at the all conference representation. Look at the results Everyone at this p5 level has physical talent. They always have. We all watch the games in person and on TV. Nobody here with a straight face can say the talent gap position by position has been that wide between Us and PITT, UVA, UNC the past half decade or so..ratings do matter but how that talent is distributed through the roster means much more..and the gap between a 90-95 composite 4star and 85-88 composite 3 star isn’t that much to think theirs a major disparity in the talent gap..there’s numerous programs at the P5 level with a name who probably been saying the same **** we have lol

Great post @Rellyrell. I also think that there is a 3rd piece to this puzzle: evaluation.

Good coaches make better evaluations in general, and more specifically to their scheme.

Our past coaches have evaluated poorly, to the point that some 4-stars they acquired maybe shouldn’t have been. The gator has done the same.

It’s very early now, but there seems to be some optimism that the floor of Mario’s classes have solid 3-stars, which would hopefully raise the floor of this program from 5 win seasons to 8 win seasons.

That would also limit attrition and maintain roster continuity.

Great coaching will attract great talent, develop good talent and discover and develop hidden talent when necessary. Bad coaching destroys great talent, doesn’t develop any other type of talent and hidden talent stays hidden and undeveloped.

Advertisement
No. Clearly we haven’t had enough. Go look at the all conference representation. Look at the results Everyone at this p5 level has physical talent. They always have. We all watch the games in person and on TV. Nobody here with a straight face can say the talent gap position by position has been that wide between Us and PITT, UVA, UNC the past half decade or so..ratings do matter but how that talent is distributed through the roster means much more..and the gap between a 90-95 composite 4star and 85-88 composite 3 star isn’t that much to think theirs a major disparity in the talent gap..there’s numerous programs at the P5 level with a name who probably been saying the same **** we have lol
We have had enough stop the bs. Just like the year under golden when he had more draft picks than he did wins. Nobody is saying the talent gap is wide but we still have had enough to not be as bad as we have been

Evaluating the right 3 stars to low 4 stars properly and landing as many top 100 guys as freaking possible. If the 3 star beats out the top 100 guy it’s just because they are better than them that’s it.

Development… we had too many, WAY too many guys who were either no better or slightly better in year 3 than they were as freshman. More than I’d like to count and many of them were starters… multi year starters.

Certainly coaching and development. But the gap between a fringe 4, say a 89 overall (our good averages pre Mario were 89-90ish), vs a high 3, say 87.5 overall all comes down to your staff evaluation. We’re getting low ceiling 4s vs high ceiling 3s regularly. The teams below us in the ACC mentioned above are identifying and developing their 3s. On paper the talent gap between us and say Pitt makes it seem we have had much more talent but in reality I don’t believe we have.

It’s really a situation where you need ALL factors at an above average level. You don’t need to be elite at everything to win but you can’t have a weak spot.

Recruiting (and portal)
Coaching/Development
Scouting/Evaluations

If all of these are above average for us, we’d be pillaging the coastal.

Say you miss on an evaluation but you’re a good recruiter, statistically you’re still going to hit on prospects just by bringing in the blue chip players regularly as well.

Miami doesn't have enough talent to consistently beat the Bama's Clemson's, Ohio State's, Georgia's.

But Miami has had enough talent to win 9+ games a year in the absolutely god awful Coastal.
So if we’ve had enough “talent” why hasn’t that happened? I’d flip your statement. BAMA UGA, Clemson and OSU have enough talent to win 9+ games and compete for conference titles annually no matter injuries or attrition..Miami hasn’t had enough talent to compete for 9+ wins & conference titles no matter attrition throughout a season..those programs you Highlighted are probably the only ones who can say no matter normal injuries factors in a season they should expect to win 9+ and compete for conference titles. Miami hasn’t been close to that

teams like FSU & Texas in 2023 can win 9+ games as easily as they can win 7/6 depending on attrition

Advertisement
I’ll just add in my .02 which I’ve posted before… I saw Kenny Mcintosh and Thad Franklin in the same setting, as well as Mark Pope and Devonta Smith, and they were equal prospects as far as I was concerned. And many college coaches felt the same way as me.

There has also been a lot of talk about Golden’s evaluation skills lately, and he had some hidden gems, but let us not collectively forget he missed many layups such as Isaiah Mckenzie and Quincy Wilson while waiting too long to recruit Eddie Jackson and Carlton Davis.

Advertisement

On paper 1000% but that talent has been negligently under developed since the Shannon days.

Lack of development in the weight room, nutrition, discipline, work ethic, and on the field.

They have been recruiting/signing the wrong character of kid for a long time and then doing next to nothing with those type of kids. These kids have natural attributes. Jeff Thomas is a prime example.

At the end of the day, this program just hasn’t recruited enough football players. I really like the make up of the last 2-3 classes though. Hard nosed, true tough guys that love the game and the coaches here have exploited the talent of the ****heads they’ve recruited.

It’s been a disaster across the board and that’s why it’s going to take Mario a couple of years to fix things. It’s not just one thing that’s been going completely wrong at Miami.

Don’t you mean to Bolivia?
I portaled into Oblivion and came out the other side in Bolivia. The weather is great this time of year.

Leonardo Dicaprio Summer GIF

Advertisement
Back