My thoughts moving forward

Diaz building his resume to become Head Coach somewhere at a small school (FIU, FAU). Cant imagine he sticks around much longer. Then we are in serious trouble

Completely off subject but what if 3 years from now us and Fsu are looking for new coaches and Manny is killing it as a head coach at a smaller school. If both us and Fsu came calling I wonder who he would chose.

Advertisement
We haven’t made leaps & bounds from the Shannon & golden regime. That’s where you’re wrong.

Richt gets his tail blown out in big games just like those 2. Only thing he’s done better is beat FSU (shannon did that too) and rally the boosters to get the IPF done. That’s it

Last edited:
- LOL at holding out hope for the acc title game and a shot at clemson. Who cares about that? With our special teams and current oc, we stand no chance against ANY legitimate top team. Those are not things that can be fixed this season. Unfortunately, this is who we are.

- Agreed. Pulling Kosi was dumb and inexcusable.

- Diaz is great. The only area that I would like to see him improve is recognizing when we are lined up incorrectly. Or at least giving someone like Jaquan the ability to audible and fix those situations. It happens at least a couple times a game where we line up wrong. Way wrong. And it's obvious that we're about to be gashed because we don't have enough guys here or there. See UVAs third and 9 handoff for a first down as an example.

- No one should have needed this game to recognize that Richt is a bad oc. I suspect that the only people who failed (or refused) to recognize this are those that just don't want to believe it because it's really bad news. It means we're completely screwed.

Arguably Bobby Bowden’s biggest mistake was keeping his son far too long. Richt needs to realize he needs an established qb coach and offensive coordinator. No one is saying he shouldn’t have input on the offense or even game planning but he’s clearly the one slowing our progress at the moment.

I really doubt it took until last night for OP to come to the conclusion that Richt's game planning relies on us out-talenting opposing teams. That has been evident since day one, saying it now is redundant and beating a dead horse.

What last night, and in fact all our performances against P5 teams this year not named UNC, solidified for me is that last year was a fluke. It took us winning multiple games where we had coin-flip type odds to make it to an ACCCG despite the defense dominating all year like it did last night.

That didn't dawn on Richt. It never occurred to him that things could not continue the way things were last year despite our 10-0 start because a blind man could see that the luck we saw last year on offense would run out and we'd crash back to reality. And he did nothing. Not a god**** thing.

All this talk about us at least having the talent levels back is bullshyt. There's no saving grace. Because a program that's been starved of success for 15 years now can't afford to waste another ******* season. Next year will be a new excuse because poor coaches never learn.

No one comes back from this many wasted chances. No one.

Advertisement
Why so enamored of N'Kosi? Better than Malik but his play has been very spotty. 13-32 ain't exactly tearing it up! Then, last nite, 2 bad INTs in the first half of the first quarter. Deer in the headlights.

Also, those UVA DBs covered our vaunted receiving corps like blankets. Those were grown men out there in the blue and orange.

Totally agree with the 1st part.

Rosier sux but he can run no doubt. Kosi doesn’t run at all. All we had to do was throw 2 yard passes and let our skill guys do work, add in rosier runs since our oline sux & can’t push anyone outta the way & we coulda got by uva. The problems we all know are there would still exist all yr tho.

I hear all of you who say “but we already know what 12 brings to the table”. I was once one of you. I don’t think Kosi is the answer either. Small sample size but **** man he looked completely clueless.

I’d be starting 15 the rest of the way and trying my best to get 2 qbs committed ASAP

That’s just one man’s opinion

- I hate to say this because it was something that was said during the Golden and Shannon era. Miami controls their own destiny at this point in the coastal race. If Miami wants another shot at Clemson in the ACC title game, they cannot afford another loss going forward the next 5 games.

- I am not a fan of pulling your young quarterback in N’Kosi Perry in favor of Malik Rosier who had the same or even worse openings to games in the past. I feel that shoots his confidence, I would have preferred to live and die with the young qb, coach him up and let him learn on the fly on the road. That was a panicking move in my eyes and does nothing to progress this team forward. If you make the decision to go with the young gun, you know that mistakes will come with it. I can’t comprehend pulling N’Kosi after the second half he had the prior week in a rivalry game and the trust and confidence that his team and defense had in him. I would rather take the growing pains and mistakes with a redshirt freshman compared to a redshirt senior who has peaked. Malik Rosier is definitely a threat running the ball but much to be asked in terms of throwing the ball as in touch and his release timing on throws. There was numerous throws that Malik threw yesterday, that Perry could throw better and get the ball there on time. Bad call in my opinion. While there is definitely reservations about the offense, there has definitely been noticeable differences in efficiency and execution of it positively under Perry, opposed to Malik. This has been pointed out in our film sessions weekly after every game with Roman and Lance.

- My head might explode if I see anyone complain about Manny Diaz moving forward. Manny Diaz has his unit playing lights out considering the circumstances at this point with the offense. (Playcalling, QB play, O-Line) This is the most dominant defense Miami has had since the 2003 team. While they definitely can continue to improve in certain areas like tackling here and there, the proof and numbers are there that this defense is elite and can play anyone. Hats off to the defense dealing with numerous 3rd and out drives from the offense, and unfavorable field position from punts this season. Hats off to Manny Diaz and the defense, that’s Miami Hurricanes Football.

- If there was any people left that had faith in the play calling on offense, I think they might all be gone after last night. I like Mark Richt as a head coach and I love what he is doing for the football program, we have made leaps from the previous Golden and Shannon regimes but there is a lot of work still needed to be done. I know the offensive line has there issues and they are not a perfect unit yet. I expect that unit to continue to get better with the guys Miami is recruiting at the positions on the offensive line. There was situations in this ball game and calls made that prevented Miami from winning this game outside of spotty QB play. The bubble and crossing routes were there all night and not utilized. Miami did not take what the UVA defense was giving them and taking way too many shots deep, trying to force the big play on the night. Miami took way too long to get Brevin Jordan involved in my opinion, that was a clear mismatch for the UVA defense as we saw late in the game. As I have watched other games across the country this season, I have noticed teams with much greater success on offense this year are throwing the ball on first down more often than Miami. The playcalling is way too predictable at this point, I know what Miami is doing before we even snap in certain scenarios and situations on the field. Not getting any points off of 3 turnovers from the defense is unacceptable. Running a FB Dive on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 on UVA side of field, back to back is unacceptable and predictable playcalling. I think everyone in the stadium and watching the game on TV knew it was coming. Miami has a lot of talent at the skill positions on offense and we’re not getting the ball in space to guys like Jeff, Harley and Pope to allow them to make a play. Where is the pre-snap motion? Jeff Thomas and Brevin Jordan do not get as many opportunities as they really should. I can dive back into the N’Kosi and Malik situation from last night again as I brought up in this thread but it was a mistake in my eyes pulling N’Kosi from the game so early. N’Kosi makes throws and extends plays that Malik can’t, N’Kosi has the better arm and that is reality. The offense has ran more efficient and effective especially in the redzone with N’Kosi to this point as well. Turnover on downs twice on UVA side of field is unacceptable. I have discussed this with Roman and Lance for a while, I am at the conclusion that Mark Richt offense can only work by out-talenting opposing teams. The issue is, you can’t win every game trying to do that. Teams will scheme for that and if you can’t adjust or switch things up, your talent difference will not matter. There is a lack of creativity and innovation with the play calling. The route trees employed in the playcalling are minimal and predictable. The choice to kick an onside with over 3 minutes left and 3 timeouts was a big mistake, considering the defense Miami has on that field every week. This is no longer an issue about talent, Miami has playmakers across the board on offense. This is an issue about coaching and putting your playmakers in a position to succeed. As I said before, I like Coach Mark Richt and I like the direction Miami is headed as a football program, we will get, develop and produce the players needed to compete for the playoffs but the clock has been ticking on the playcalling, last night was the final indictment. Miami needs an offensive coordinator to get to that next level.

*** We will learn a lot about this team and the way they respond after a loss like this moving forward. Canes of old would be angry and upset and finish the rest of the season strong. Mental toughness from here on out is what I expect.

Well said. And I must say, I was one of the ones trying to support Coach Richt with his play calling. But last night was it. Either give Brown or Dugans play calling duties, or find someone else (inivative young mind) to call the plays. There’s too much talent being wasted, on both sides of the ball.

There was about 7 or 8 drops from the sheet I looked at after FSU aside from throw aways in that game. 4 of those were from Cager, 1 from Thomas and 1 from Harley and there was another 2 I can’t recall right now. He missed some guys in that first half but he made the plays needed to be made in the 2nd half. You don’t pull your young qb who helped in a comeback win in the second half against your rival from the previous week just because he’s struggling in the first quarter down by a score. You coach him through that and let him learn and grow, I’d prefer that over a 5th year senior who has peaked and doesn’t look any better. There was throws Perry could have made last night that Malik can’t.

Look what happened yesterday with USC with Daniels. He had that same start and they stuck with him and they pulled out the W against a good and ranked Colorado team.
Exactly the middle of the field is off limits with Malik in the game.

Miami is not going to go 6-6 and losing seasons under Richt. That is definitely a difference. It is not perfect at all yet but I don’t know what to say if you haven’t seen some positive differences from the last two regimes.

Real talk: who honestly inherited a worse situation- Al Golden or Mark Richt? Year 3 and so far Richt has only used Al Golden players at QB. Al Golden never had a full roster for his entire coaching career due to NCAA sanctions. Golden screwed up because he was married to a 3-4 defense, but S Fl athletes are better in a 4-3. Mark Richt was given a talented offense and a qb who is currently on a NFL roster (Kaaya).

What ACC loss in the Al Golden era was more embarrassing than losing to a team whose qb had a 9.8 qb rating?

Advertisement
Miami is not going to go 6-6 and losing seasons under Richt. That is definitely a difference. It is not perfect at all yet but I don’t know what to say if you haven’t seen some positive differences from the last two regimes.
Last years team was effectively a 6-6/7-5 quality team that fluked its way to wins against mediocre teams in FSU, GT, and UNC. The Syracuse and UVA games were comeback victories also. This season remains to be seen.

There honestly isn't much of a difference between the program he inherited (8-4) and where things stand now. One difference would be the offense he manages is now the liability holding the program back as opposed to No D.

My thoughts moving forward...

...we might have fvcked up by not hiring Dan Mullen. FSU is down, UF should've been down...I hope we didn't miss our turn on the State of Florida carousel and UF skips us in line.

Well said I agree. Richt blew it and pulling Perry lost us the game.

What comes next will define the team and the rest of Richt career here at UM.

1. Perry starts and plays every game going forward unless he is hurt.
2. He needs to open up the playbook take the kid gloves off of Perry. He will make mistakes he is a Freshman. I can take Perry losing us a game. He needs experience to grow and for the team to get better.
3.CMR needs to find a OC for next year. He has shown he can’t handle today’s game. No excuse not to get your best player Jeff Thomas more touches. Defensive coordinators see the same plays and know how to stop us. Our O-Line is awful, but you can do things to compensate; quick slants, roll Perry out, put men in motion, more screens, and run tosses vs. handoffs.

I’m a Cane for life and last night hurt.. CMR needs to show leadership and take the blame and move on it can’t be business as usual.if Rosier lines up at BC, James should fire him at halftime. I would be OK if Williams was under center,before this year, is done.

We either move forward or CMR loses the team and the city and then it is only matter of time till he is done.
Agree with all of this

Settle down people, this offense without Ahmon is basically where we left off last year but with a worst o-line. Let's take a look at what's being asked from this offense:
Last year's o-line mcdermont, darling, gauthier, donaldson and St. Louis.
The 2 guys that replaced darling and mcdermont are worst, which means this o-line is worst that last year's o-line. Also donaldson is not playing at the same level as last year, he's playing like a drained boxer right now. Tight-ends, last it was herdon and irvin, this year brevin and mallory, we had better blocking tight-ends last year, this year it's worst and while brevin is a very talented tight-end, going against a strong always physical UVA team is going to be a problem. As far as production goes, herdon as a senior was better than brevin as a freshman, but we all see brevin's potential.
Runningbacks, they both have improved, just dont have the same blocking as last year.
Receiver's, again Ahmon was going to be the key to the offense this year, not having his elite presence, and the other receivers have to start stepping up to take the bracket coverage off of jt4.

Once Ahmon went down and alot of these True freshmen had to play, the growing pains were going to be there.

Advertisement
We are screwed.....
stop with all this,if Richt would hire an OC nonsense.... he made the clear when he was hired.... he alone will be the offensive playcaller!!!!!

Advertisement
No fuqn way this team wins out. This offense is terrible and has been for 2 years, it’s not magically going to somehow turn around. We have a strong chance to lose any one of our games. We all know Rosier sucks, but Perry is not much better. He might be a bit more accurate, though that is debatable. Got a stronger arm and might be able to scramble a bit better as well. However, he can’t read a defense to save his life. He has thrown into coverage several times this year, only this time his luck ran out and he got picked off twice in the first 4 series. Fck me, I hate this offense. Why can this program not recruit a decent QB.. Why?

How so? Worse at OL, OC, and STs. What you just saw in year 3 is a leap?
We are not getting the living crap beat out of us like in the Blandy, Golden eras.

Remember the last game in the Orange Bowl?
During the last 2 regimes, there wasn't even any Hope, and no I'm not going to quote Dante..

Kosi is legit. He makes throws we haven't seen since Vinny. They call 4 plays for him. Where were the bubble screens yesterday? Where were the easy throws to get into the game? Yeah Kosi made 2 bad throws, so what, give him plays to make and win the ******* game. He is plenty good enough to win games.

We are not getting the living crap beat out of us like in the Blandy, Golden eras.

Remember the last game in the Orange Bowl?
During the last 2 regimes, there wasn't even any Hope, and no I'm not going to quote Dante..
2016: VT (37-16)
2017: Clemson (38-3)
2018: LSU (33-17, 33-3 to start the 4th quarter)

Looking at the 2015 squads schedule I don't think this group has a better record playing similar quality competition.

Advertisement
Back