My Post Game Recap - Va Tech

He had a bad missed tackle in the open field vs Jalen Holston on 3rd down in the 4th quarter iirc.

Good for him not getting thrown out though lol but he's just not played well enough, but I love him, his family & my Dad's side of the family in Riveria Beach are very close. He's really a good dude off the field, he just struggled playing Safety here.

Although, I will say the staff has been using him more at Backer on 3rd downs & sending him on Blitzes, which is actually what he's best at. He should've been converted to LB last year.

good catch. don't know why i didn't realize that as well, but it seems obvious.

this program and our defensive philosophy/style has made a living out of figuring out which safeties are really OLB's.

carter should be a WLB.

Advertisement
The big run by Hooker was a bad look, but this team held the nation's fourth leading rusher to a season low yard total at 49 yards.

That's pretty impressive, low key.
Was it me or did we look better conditioned? VT was gassed in the fourth. With seven linemen out, I thought we’d fare worse. Yeah the OL still sucked, but we were able to put together long sustained drives. Good ****

He had a bad missed tackle in the open field vs Jalen Holston on 3rd down in the 4th quarter iirc.

Good for him not getting thrown out though lol but he's just not played well enough, but I love him, his family & my Dad's side of the family in Riveria Beach are very close. He's really a good dude off the field, he just struggled playing Safety here.

Although, I will say the staff has been using him more at Backer on 3rd downs & sending him on Blitzes, which is actually what he's best at. He should've been converted to LB last year.
Whoa. This is a **** of a change from our Amari debates prior to the 2019 season. I sincerely tip my cap to you for taking in the new info and adjusting your perspective. Man sh*t.

Also, I had a sense you had to know kid or his family offline. You were passionate as **** about defending some of his deficiencies. All understood. I've had players I defend and make off calls on, then get more information or evidence, etc. Good stuff. Makes the board better.

Tackling was an issue for sure. Lots of missed tackles at 1st and 2nd level. But, this was the second best team we’ve played and the talent of VT can’t go unnoticed. Lots of athletes everywhere...so a quality win with some head scratchers called in the O scheme

He won't fire Baker.... At worst Baker gets moved to LB Coach. I think he's brings in a Vet DC and him baker become CO DCs but the Vet calls the plays
Can't happen that way unless we fire another position coach. NCAA only allows so many on-field coaches.

Advertisement
I'd prefer to hire a true DC but **** yes I'd take this as option #2.
I agree but Manny wants his defense. So if he can’t let that go let’s shed the dead weight and replace them with recruiters and developers and let Manny run his D.

****, they should’ve had Hedley tote the run if that’s what they wanted to run lol at least he’s got that rugby experience
LOL he played Aussie rules, not rugby. While there is significant contact, it is not about running people over.

obvious passing downs were automatic sacks today, surprised lashlee didnt go to the scrren gme on 3rd and long
We don't really have a screen game is the problem. That play where we hit the RB flaring out almost immediately (before he gets outside the tackle box and before the D-lineman get even a step upfield) is not a true screen.

Advertisement
Whoa. This is a **** of a change from our Amari debates prior to the 2019 season. I sincerely tip my cap to you for taking in the new info and adjusting your perspective. Man sh*t.

Also, I had a sense you had to know kid or his family offline. You were passionate as **** about defending some of his deficiencies. All understood. I've had players I defend and make off calls on, then get more information or evidence, etc. Good stuff. Makes the board better.

Half the regular posters on here were calling for Carter to be a WLB two years ago, including me.

I understand why they moved Gil and Keontra to striker as opposed to Amari, because Amari's lateral agility is more limited. But WLB would be perfect for him. My only explanations for not making this move earlier was Carter didn't want to make the move, they were thin at Safety, too, and they honestly thought McCloud would step up. Regardless, this is the best natural spot for him (Carter).

Can't happen that way unless we fire another position coach. NCAA only allows so many on-field coaches.
I think Patke gets fired and Rumph. Baker to LB and Special Teams and we hire a New DC and DB Coach. It's just time, if Diaz had to take over play calling then Baker needs to be removed

I'm confused. Half the regular posters on here were calling for Carter to be a WLB two years ago, including me.

I understand why they moved Gil and Keontra to striker as opposed to Amari, because Amari's lateral agility is more limited. But WLB would be perfect for him. My only explanations for not making this move earlier was Carter didn't want to make the move, they were thin at Safety, too, and they honestly thought McCloud would step up. Regardless, this is the best natural spot for him (Carter).
I don't have an opinion on Amari as a LB because I've never seen him there and it's tough to project. I just knew he had certain attributes that made playing Safety in Diaz's system a real issue. He had shown a number of glimpses of those limitations early in his career. And, playing striker made little sense because of what we ask our Striker to do. Maybe LB would be better? Who knows. Couldn't have hurt to try.

LCL (and a few others) and I went back and forth prior to the 2019 season. I hoped we'd play Amari more in sub-packages and come up with scenarios for him as a rover and a blitzer (where he has some good evidence). The reality is he has struggled in space, but can make some plays for us in certain scenarios. I think we've wasted his time trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. We ask a ****load from our Safeties. They almost have to be hybrid CBs/Safeties a bunch of the time.

Advertisement
I think Patke gets fired and Rumph. Baker to LB and Special Teams and we hire a New DC and DB Coach. It's just time, if Diaz had to take over play calling then Baker needs to be removed
No question about that - Baker is giving us nothing. But Patke at least is getting good play from the strikers, where our LB play (Baker's position group) has been terrible. Neither can recruit though. But I'd take your scenario above it that's the furthest Manny will go I guess, as at least we get a real DC out of it. While you can make a case for parting ways w/ Banda and Patke too, Baker and Rumph definitely need to go imo.

That was certainly a pleasant surprise, hope JHH continues to challenge him so he continues to play better
Good post. I don't want to disparage King because of the insane difference he is for us in comparison to what we've had. I think he would note himself how he's held the ball too long on a handful of occasions. A few of those sacks belong to him.

If I'm King or Lashlee, I practice running and throwing crossers every day for the remainder of the season. I don't know what's going on, but we leave them out of our calls too often and, when we do run/throw them, King sails them.

Excellent observations, Lu. Spot on.

The reason we are missing those is exactly because we are leaving them out of the calls, which likely means we don’t practice them enough.

This observation is a big element in our lack of offensive consistency.

WE KNEW COMING IN that though an electric play maker, King has a tendency to be streaky and erratic as a pocket passer. The more you give him to read, he has to fight his running instincts to try to “be a pocket passer”. You see this from most all the ultra athletic running quarterbacks and it leads to indecisiveness and taking unnecessary sacks.

You help these guys by shrinking the field on their reads and speeding up their clock. One- one thousand, two- one thousand, THREE! Give him in breaking and seam routes over the middle on the same side to look for as he drops. If he doesn’t LOVE what he sees, he immediately checks down to a back on the same side the receivers just cleared or runs.

3 seconds or less. No thinking, no waiting. If he runs, no hero ball. Take the easy yardage , get down or out of bounds and stay healthy.

King was NEVER going to run this offense like the guy Lashlee had at SMU. There is a reason ultra athletic guys struggle with poise and pocket vision. IT IS INSTINCTS. Don’t make your guy fight his god-given talent. Create a structure that allows his talent to thrive. Alter the system to him, not the other way around.

He gets indecisive past his first read because his instincts tell him to run and he fights them. Add in an inconsistent line and receivers and he gets downright jittery and understandably so.

Cut down those reads and put receivers in his vision quickly without having to scan the entire field. We wI’ll be happy with what he does.

Advertisement
Excellent observations, Lu. Spot on.

The reason we are missing those is exactly because we are leaving them out of the calls, which likely means we don’t practice them enough.

This observation is a big element in our lack of offensive consistency.

WE KNEW COMING IN that though an electric play maker, King has a tendency to be streaky and erratic as a pocket passer. The more you give him to read, he has to fight his running instincts to try to “be a pocket passer”. You see this from most all the ultra athletic running quarterbacks and it leads to indecisiveness and taking unnecessary sacks.

You help these guys by shrinking the field on their reads and speeding up their clock. One- one thousand, two- one thousand, THREE! Give him in breaking and seam routes over the middle on the same side to look for as he drops. If he doesn’t LOVE what he sees, he immediately checks down to a back on the same side the receivers just cleared or runs.

3 seconds or less. No thinking, no waiting. If he runs, no hero ball. Take the easy yardage , get down or out of bounds and stay healthy.

King was NEVER going to run this offense like the guy Lashlee had at SMU. There is a reason ultra athletic guys struggle with poise and pocket vision. IT IS INSTINCTS. Don’t make your guy fight his god-given talent. Create a structure that allows his talent to thrive. Alter the system to him, not the other way around.

He gets indecisive past his first read because his instincts tell him to run and he fights them. Add in an inconsistent line and receivers and he gets downright jittery and understandably so.

Cut down those reads and put receivers in his vision quickly without having to scan the entire field. We wI’ll be happy with what he does.
Agree. I'd guess Lashlee would say he's been limited by time and opportunity to get all this rolled into his offense. Compared to most years, this team has barely practiced this calendar year. And, it's implemented a new system with a new QB.

No question about that - Baker is giving us nothing. But Patke at least is getting good play from the strikers, where our LB play (Baker's position group) has been terrible. Neither can recruit though. But I'd take your scenario above it that's the furthest Manny will go I guess, as at least we get a real DC out of it. While you can make a case for parting ways w/ Banda and Patke too, Baker and Rumph definitely need to go imo.
I personally don't think anyone except Stroud and Banda for recruiting purposes has earned a guaranteed spot for 2021. Right now our Safeties,CB and LBs technique is very inconsistent. We are constantly out of position and take numerous bad angles every week. We really need to focus on the finer details, things just look so sloppy at times. We are making easy things look difficult

Agree. I'd guess Lashlee would say he's been limited by time and opportunity to get all this rolled into his offense. Compared to most years, this team has barely practiced this calendar year. And, it's implemented a new system with a new QB.

That’s why I’m not to hard on Lashlee.

I’m just anxious for him to implement things to help us deal with our shortcomings. We have been going through this for a while and when an offensive coordinator commits to using the short middle as the first read, it will open the offense and make us more efficient.

We been heaving deep incompletions and running into stacked boxes for years. This has been due to stubbornness, not necessity. We have so many examples of how it gets us big plays, but we have always abandoned it for no good reason.

MAKE THOSE RUN DEFENDERS PLAY HONEST LOL.

Advertisement
Back