My Post Game Recap - Va Tech

Advertisement
I think Patke gets fired and Rumph. Baker to LB and Special Teams and we hire a New DC and DB Coach. It's just time, if Diaz had to take over play calling then Baker needs to be removed
It would be career suicide for Baker to take that demotion. If he is not going to be DC at Miami then he needs to leave for all parties involved.

No question about that - Baker is giving us nothing. But Patke at least is getting good play from the strikers, where our LB play (Baker's position group) has been terrible. Neither can recruit though. But I'd take your scenario above it that's the furthest Manny will go I guess, as at least we get a real DC out of it. While you can make a case for parting ways w/ Banda and Patke too, Baker and Rumph definitely need to go imo.
In my view, Manny must first decide the right balance on defense between coaches that can recruit and those that can develop talent. In an ideal scenario, you have coaches that can do both but currently that does not exist on our defensive staff. Nobody on the D does both consistently well. Ironically, we have coaches on the offensive side who are showing that potential - Likens, Hickson and Justice. Once Many makes that decision then he can adjust accordingly.

You can make a strong argument for Banda to stay based on his recruiting prowess alone. For arguments sake, let's say Banda is too valuable of recruiter and he stays. That leaves you with 4 guys and the best combination of developer and recruiter among those four coaches is Stroud. Silvera made the leap. Phillips is a stud. Rousseau blossomed under Stroud. HH became a player in just one year. Harvey, Cam Williams, Chantz Williams, Blisset and others have flashed. Plus, Stroud has recruited well.

So, let's say Many keeps Stroud. That leaves you with Baker, Patke, and Rumph. All three of these coaches are below average to terrible recruiters. Of the three, Baker is the obvious choice to fire first because he's getting paid to coordinate, coach LBs and recruit and he doesn't do any of those things well. That leaves Patke and Rumph. Between the two, you can make an argument (not as compelling as Banda and Stroud) for Patke to stay. He has developed our strikers - the emergence of Finley and Frierson under his tutelage can't be ignored - and STs are better this year (not sure he gets all the credit but they are better). He's also a better recruiter than Rumph as Patke is trying to establish a NE pipeline right now and is primarily responsible for Cave, HH, and the other boys from the NE. If you decide his ability to develop a position group comprised of one player warrants a place on this staff despite his recruiting deficiencies, then that leaves Rumph on the outside looking in.

In sum, Baker followed by Rumph are at greatest risk of being terminated.

Last edited:
I can count the compliments I’ve in my life in a babies hand can’t remember even one really as I stopped to think here .

Anyway

I love giving them makes me feel good to do it my friend , thank you for accepting it 😁.

GOCANES
Hey, you’re a good dude... remember dat!

Every week, I'm grateful that we are playing (and winning) games when other teams are not. Thank you for the write-up and I'm looking forward to better team performances the rest of the season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back