My Post Game Recap: Duke

Biggest issue I saw last night was the same issue we had during the 4 game losing streak last season.

Richt's offense goes large stretches of the game where it flat out IGNORES the middle of the field. We're running way too many vertical routes and not enough slants and shallow crosses. The latter help move the chains and keep the opposing defense honest.

On the few occasions last night where we attacked the middle of the field, good things happened...which is even more infuriating. We'll find out starting next week if Richt has evolved as a playcaller.

I say Richt goes " ultra-conservative " this Saturday against mighty FSU, and let's Diaz and the fellows win the ball game. hUh. Thankfully, the FROG is on injured reserve for the season. Because I still say Good Ol' Boy Jimbo and FSU will make this game closer than it should be! In other words, on ' paper ' Miami should win by 20 points or more. huh.

Advertisement
Richt needs to step up his sh*t. Which is why i think we need to bring in another greybeard on offense to this staff...since Thomas Brown is just oc by name and likely wont EVER challenge Right.

We use Herndon...NONE Last night...like at all. We have no creativity in the redzone which will get us killed against vt and FSU dl.....We run...NO motion at all. And if you were on the game board i called for a rb screen and it took Richt maybe 3 series to realize it was obviously open since Duke blitzed two to 3 guys every 1st down.
Still believe Richt cost us a game or 2 this year just off playcalling...his playcalling isnt helping the ol in the run game either
Agree with you 100% big bro.

Our Redzone Offense is a problem right now, that's 2 weeks in a row we got down to the goaline & he just ran 3 straight plays to the same side.

We got Rosier, we can run Zone Read easy & he'll score 9 times outta 10.

We got Langham, Cager, Ahmmon & Herndon, we could easily throw a quick slant or a Fade to any of them & they're going to catch most of the time, especially against Duke's weak CB's.

****, we could've even ran a Play Action slip out where Irvin Jr gets in the back of the End Zone for an easy TD.

And, we're still not using Harley/Thomas properly either, we should be running a lot more clear out route combos that gets them one on one in space over the middle of the field.

I hope he really brings out all the stops for FSU, because there plays to be had vs that Defense, we don't need to play ultra conservative.

Richt wins 31-6, yeah that's a sign that he's going to cost us games.

way to put words in peoples mouths

Richt needs to step up his sh*t. Which is why i think we need to bring in another greybeard on offense to this staff...since Thomas Brown is just oc by name and likely wont EVER challenge Right.

We use Herndon...NONE Last night...like at all. We have no creativity in the redzone which will get us killed against vt and FSU dl.....We run...NO motion at all. And if you were on the game board i called for a rb screen and it took Richt maybe 3 series to realize it was obviously open since Duke blitzed two to 3 guys every 1st down.
Still believe Richt cost us a game or 2 this year just off playcalling...his playcalling isnt helping the ol in the run game either

Our Redzone Offense is a problem right now, that's 2 weeks in a row we got down to the goaline & he just ran 3 straight plays to the same side.

We got Langham, Cager, Ahmmon & Herndon, we could easily throw a quick slant or a Fade to any of them & they're going to catch most of the time, especially against Duke's weak CB's.

****, we could've even ran a Play Action slip out where Irvin Jr gets in the back of the End Zone for an easy TD.

And, we're still not using Harley/Thomas properly either, we should be running a lot more clear out route combos that gets them one on one in space over the middle of the field.

I hope he really brings out all the stops for FSU, because there plays to be had vs that Defense, we don't need to play ultra conservative.

The OLine is my focus of concern at this point. Even with Richt's iffy play calling - especially down on the goal line - if our OLine played like they actually had a pair of balls, we easily punch that TD in. That was more a test of wills than anything else.

Yeah, Richt could have / should have been more creative, but our OLine just got outmuscled. They faded down the stretch.

With the Defense overall and the secondary playing much better, it's going to be the OLine under the microscope as the season progresses. And they need to get it together quickly because Jimbo knows that his QB and OLine cannot beat us. He's counting on his Defense to score off turnovers and win a close one. We neutralize their D, it won't even be close.

The OLine is my focus of concern at this point. Even with Richt's iffy play calling - especially down on the goal line - if our OLine played like they actually had a pair of balls, we easily punch that TD in. That was more a test of wills than anything else.

Yeah, Richt could have / should have been more creative, but our OLine just got outmuscled. They faded down the stretch.

With the Defense overall and the secondary playing much better, it's going to be the OLine under the microscope as the season progresses. And they need to get it together quickly because Jimbo knows that his QB and OLine cannot beat us. He's counting on his Defense to score off turnovers and win a close one. We neutralize their D, it won't even be close.

I think it's pretty clear we need more help on the Oline. Our OTs were getting beaten pretty regularly.

Advertisement

I think it's pretty clear we need more help on the Oline. Our OTs were getting beaten pretty regularly.

destroyed is the better and more clear words

what happened to mount mcdermott we kept hearing about in practice? the guy who was stoning joe jackson?

pete?

Biggest issue I saw last night was the same issue we had during the 4 game losing streak last season.

Richt's offense goes large stretches of the game where it flat out IGNORES the middle of the field. We're running way too many vertical routes and not enough slants and shallow crosses. The latter help move the chains and keep the opposing defense honest.

On the few occasions last night where we attacked the middle of the field, good things happened...which is even more infuriating. We'll find out starting next week if Richt has evolved as a playcaller.

Middle of the field is a must and the next step for this offense. However and importantly Rosier's two picks have come on poor throws down the middle. It looks to me like CMR is protecting Rosier a bit as he does not want multiple pick games. Rosier has played very well but if he wants to take the next step he needs to avoid bad throws up the middle bc there is always help there and a poor throw will likely result in an interception as we have seen in both Toledo and duke games

View attachment 50689

Defense, Defense, Defense!

Last week vs Toledo a lot of us were concerned with what we saw from this Defense, but this team rallied in a short week & stepped up to the plate to answer the challenge!

El Jefe made a return tonight, yes we still had some lapses where we gave up yards but overall, we completely shut down this Duke team in the 2nd half just like we did last year.

DEFENSE - 11TFL's, 5sacks & 2 Turnovers. Held Daniel Jones to just 21/41 for 166yds 0TD's & 1INT & 1Fumble.
[TWEET]913956384382779392[/TWEET]

- Michael Pinckney 10tcks 1INT 1sack 1TFL (56 NIGHTMARES THE BEAST!!!)
- Shaquille Quarterman 9tcks
- Sheldrick Redwine 7tcks .05TFL
- Jaquan Johnson 6tcks
- Darrion Owens 6tcks 2TFL's
- Dee Delaney 3tcks 1PD
- Kendrick Norton 3tcks 1TFL
- Demetrius Jackson 3tcks .05sack .05TFL 1PD
- Trent Harris 3tcks .05sack .05TFL
- Chad Thomas 2tcks 2sacks 2TFL's (MAJOR9)
- Joseph Jackson 2tcks 1sack 1TFL
- Anthony Moten 2tcks
- Pat Bethel 1sack 1TFL 1FF

View attachment 50691

OFFENSE - Gained 409yds Total, 4-12 on 3rd down, 139yds Rushing & 270yds Passing
- Malik Rosier 15/26 270yds 2TD's & 1INT Passing, 15att 45yds 1TD rushing
- Mark Walton 17att 51yds rushing 4rec 79yds receiving 130yds total from scrimmage
- Travis Homer 3att 43yds 1TD
- Ahmmon Richards 3rec 106yds 1TD
- Braxton Berrios 2rec 52yds 1TD
- Lawrence Cager 3rec 27yds

View attachment 50692

Overall, was very happy with how we played, short week of prep & just getting back into the grove of things after Irma & we really came out to ball tonight.

We definitely had some issues with playcalling after that 1st quarter, the Offense became stagnant & we looked like the Canes from last year during the 4 game slide, but our Defense showed up big time & we handled our business.

Our OL struggled quite a bit at times with Duke's DL, especially DT Mike Ramsay (who I highlighted in my pre game Breakdown earlier this week). He really feasted on a young Donaldson who is still learning how to deal with quick rushers.

Really hope Walton can get healthy enough to be 100% for FSU, he was not himself played on an injured ankle but still had some key plays for us this game.

The Return of "Young God" Ahmmon was imminent! And Berrios is still balling!

Rosier looked good early & tailed off throughout the game, he's a guy that's going to be Hot/Cold, when he's Cold Richt's gotta help him out by calling some easy rhythm throws to get him back in the game.

Redzone Offense was ****ty, Richt needs to get way more creative on the Goaline, not having traditional 3TE's & FB for Max protection is no excuse. We have Langham, Cager, Ahmmon, Herndon & Irvin Jr, throw the ball when the runs get stuffed. Quick Slant/Corner Fade= Easy TD's.

On Defense, Mike Pinckney & Chad Thomas were the Defensive MVP's, they really set the tone for us throughout the game especially Pinckney with that huge stop on 4th down to force a turnover on Downs & the INT he got. He was an absolute MONSTER!

The Defensive Line really showed up and balled out for us, Major 9, JJack, DJack, McIntosh, Norton, Moten & Bethel were pure hunters out there!

The DB's played really well also, Malek Young did a great job shutting down TJ Rahming their top WR & Redwine did a terrific job Tacking, he really wrapped up great.

Ultimately, this was a great W for this team, even though it was a against Duke don't diminish this victory, a 4-0 Coastal opponent on the road that had the #1 ranked run Defense & a very formidable pass rush, to go with a good rushing attack on Offense & we shut their asses down!

Said this he is that type of qb...jeckle and hyde (whatever they call it)

Hes either hot and doing well or cold and lookin real bad, I think thats who he is and I think we can still win like that at least until VT

O Line needs to play MUCH better...we should be able to rely on the run for stretches when Rosier is cold.

Advertisement

I don't know how anyone can watch this game and not think this.
His complete inability to adjust to a **** ILB blitz every play was astonishing.

Like seriously we have speed, and we never run any **** crossing routes, or just plain attack the middle of the field. Like seriously every pass doesn't need to be an out route/corner/streak. Also That just makes it harder on Rosier, by not giving him some easy short routes that are guaranteed to pick up 5+ yards.

Delaney pressing and jamming is where it's at. Drove the receiver out of the play several times.

YES! We need to get more speed and length at corner with Dean too. We still letting teams get around the corner on us to much. I also think defensive penetration would improve if we move Chad 9 inside and play D Jacks and Garvin at DE. Chad is much quicker and disruptive on the inside. Plus since we've already burned the redshirt with Garvin and DJ, we need to get them more seasoning for the stretch run.

His complete inability to adjust to a **** ILB blitz every play was astonishing.

Like seriously we have speed, and we never run any **** crossing routes, or just plain attack the middle of the field. Like seriously every pass doesn't need to be an out route/corner/streak. Also That just makes it harder on Rosier, by not giving him some easy short routes that are guaranteed to pick up 5+ yards.

Get what you're saying, but dude, the AR TD was a crossing route to take advantage of the middle blitz. Rosier said he was just waiting for them to run it again to hit that play. Another thing we don't know is how many other times maybe Rosier should have made that read but didn't see it. Richt isn't gonna tell us that. Rosier doing a great job and from my perspective, Richt doing a decent job of working to Rosiers strengths and protecting him from his weaknesses. If it gets better each week, we'll be in great shape. Goal line/run game is a different story perhaps.

Get what you're saying, but dude, the AR TD was a crossing route to take advantage of the middle blitz. Rosier said he was just waiting for them to run it again to hit that play. Another thing we don't know is how many other times maybe Rosier should have made that read but didn't see it. Richt isn't gonna tell us that. Rosier doing a great job and from my perspective, Richt doing a decent job of working to Rosiers strengths and protecting him from his weaknesses. If it gets better each week, we'll be in great shape. Goal line/run game is a different story perhaps.

I know. Thats the point. It took them 2 **** quarters to run a **** slant to actually take advantage of the fact they had been blitzing the lbs every **** play after the 1st quarter ended. Literally every time we attacked the short middle, it worked, yet we only did it about 2 times fro the 2nd quarter-4th.

Advertisement

Like seriously.

Thanks for the write up Liberty. Good stuff. Major chance to bounce into the light in Tally. We should have beaten them the last three years, now it is time.

Couple of observations while I'm re-watching

-CB's were showing press coverage all night, even when they bailed into a zone. Made Delaney in particular look much more comfortable.

-Oline really struggling with power. 74 in particular getting beat almost every run play trying to block the 1 tech. oline is mostly finesse/zone blockers. I know 55 struggled as well later in the game. In pass pro it looked like we struggled picking up stunts and blitzes more than people just getting beat man to ma (although it happened some). 74, 55,78 in particular had trouble diagnosing T/E stunts and blitzes (have to remind myself 55 is a true freshman). Rosier also doesn't have great pocket awareness and ran himself into some trouble as well.

1 example is early in the 2nd qtr, we ran play action, keep Walton in to block after the fake, duke rushed 4 and blitzed a LB, 78 is slow to recognize the T/E stunt and is beaten by the looping DT, Walton see's it late and chips the DT while 78 works to recover. the mike LB, who is in man on Walton, blitzes late after seeing Walton help protect to the outside. Rosier still has a solid pocket at this point and looks to have Harley winning against man on the 9 route at the top of the screen instead tucks the ball and tries to run and gets swallowed for a short sack. if 78 reads the stunt, then walton can pick up the LB and Rosier can throw for a big gain. If Rosier doesn't panic and stands in the pocket he likely can get the pass off before the LB gets home.

-dline really hurt its self pass rushing for most of the night instead of playing run first. I'll assume its coached this way ala the tony dungy colts defense. Duke had some huge holes just because the DT goes inside and the DE tries to beat the T wide and boom, a big whole is there. Just caught us in a T/T stunt and got a 8 yard gain in the 1st. saw a few times they caught us slanting where the DE (9) crashes into B gap and the G just turns him and it looks like the LB (34) has C gap but he hops the bubble screen look from the slot and QB zone reads for 8.

good news is that the oline likely gets better picking up stunts and blitzes as they get more snaps together, coaching can help here as well. Probably have to live with Rosier's streaky accuracy and decision making (although hopefully this gets better with reps also)

82 changes the whole dynamic of the offense, he's special and much more than just a speed WR

would love to see 23 get more looks, Njoku didn't get much looks until halfway through the season if i remember correctly

Advertisement

I know. Thats the point. It took them 2 **** quarters to run a **** slant to actually take advantage of the fact they had been blitzing the lbs every **** play after the 1st quarter ended. Literally every time we attacked the short middle, it worked, yet we only did it about 2 times fro the 2nd quarter-4th.

Honestly it's the biggest concern I have with Mark Richt, the play caller. It's been almost a year and a half now and it just looks like the guy is **** bent on running 4 verticals as the meat and potatoes of his passing attack.

With the speed we have on the outside now...teams are going to look to take that away first. I'm not even talking about dangerous intermediate stuff over the middle...just simple 7 yard slants and mesh concepts with shallow crosses would completely open up this offense and take it to another level.

I really wish someone with access would ask Richt this question publicly just to get an understanding as to why he goes away from it so often over the course of games.

Honestly it's the biggest concern I have with Mark Richt, the play caller. It's been almost a year and a half now and it just looks like the guy is **** bent on running 4 verticals as the meat and potatoes of his passing attack.

With the speed we have on the outside now...teams are going to look to take that away first. I'm not even talking about dangerous intermediate stuff over the middle...just simple 7 yard slants and mesh concepts with shallow crosses would completely open up this offense and take it to another level.

I really wish someone with access would ask Richt this question publicly just to get an understanding as to why he goes away from it so often over the course of games.

Everything is linear with our Offense. No East/West or misdirection creativity. We become too predictable.

I say Richt goes " ultra-conservative " this Saturday against mighty FSU, and let's Diaz and the fellows win the ball game. hUh. Thankfully, the FROG is on injured reserve for the season. Because I still say Good Ol' Boy Jimbo and FSU will make this game closer than it should be! In other words, on ' paper ' Miami should win by 20 points or more. huh.

Which would be a huge mistake and likely keep FSU in the game no matter how well we play.

He straight up ****ed away the FSU game last year by channeling his inner Dave Wannstadt and going to the most conservative second half gameplan I've ever witnessed.

This is the type of game you have to go out and WIN ....not sit back and play 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense and hope to win a battle of field goals.

Everything is linear with our Offense. No East/West or misdirection creativity. We become too predictable.

Honestly it's the most frustrating thing I've ever seen.

If I, a "comemierda" accountant sitting on my couch (as well as many others on this board) can identify that the middle of the field is being ignored...how have they not noticed it and ADDRESSED it by now? The admin/coaching *** kissing posters will say "of course they've noticed it they just know a lot more football than you and think that's not the best way to attack".

Well sorry....I don't buy that for one ******* second. I don't think Richt is incompetent....I just think he's stubborn as all ******* ****.

I'd pay money just to have his attention for 5 minutes to ask him this question in person. I honestly want to understand why he wants to do everything on the perimeter (via wide receiver screens and smoke routes) or down the field (via 4 verticals)? Why not attack the space being given to you in the middle of the field?

And here's the problem. We've got FSU this week and then V Tech down the road. Those teams are NOT going to allow us to beat them with simple 4 verticals.

Advertisement
Back