My Post Game Recap: Duke

A good amount of those yards given up rushing came late when the game was decided. The D played great, especially after all the hand wringing on here the past few weeks. Coach Diaz didn't forget how to coach.

Advertisement
RIchards should of had two touchdowns.. the duke CB was acting.. that wasnt a push off
Agree 100%, Ahmmon barely made contact with his forearm which WR's are allowed to do.

He didn't extend his arms at all, he just went back & tracked the ball in the air, he had to adjust to it because it was thrown to his back shoulder.

They essentially called him on OPI for making too great of a catch.

This was a really good defensive result. But its really telling how good our defense can be when honestly I felt like we didn't even really play all that well. Like I think we can improve a **** load from this performance, and we held them to 6 points and for the most part, shut their offense down when it mattered.

I'm still completely annoyed af with the amount of playing time Charles Perry, Darrion Owens, and Mike Smith are getting. There is nothing any of you can tell me that will get me to change my mind on this. They play way too much. And it wasn't our Lbs getting tired and/or getting caught in the hurryup and not being able to sub starters back in. Diaz is just purposefully playing the backup LBs for entire series, and its ******* terrible. They didn't play nearly as bad as they did vs Toledo, but its such a clear step down from the starters that its infuriating. And I much rather have Bandy on the field and run nickel than have any of those backup LBs on the field. At this point its a major concern for me, because they will **** up when we play better teams like FSU, VTech, etc.

And again, Diaz keeps trying to do too much with his blitzes. We were getting really good pressure with just our 4 man front imo. And yet Diaz continued running crazy blitzes and having the De's drop into the flats quite often. I'm really not a fan of just how often Diaz has been doing this. At some point he needs to just realize the DL is our biggest strength and we have the best DL coach in the nation....let them get it done. And just sprinkly the crazy pressures in.

Our Passing Defense was really solid today, but Duke really isn't a good passing team. There is no question in my mind Malek Young is our best CB. But he seriously needs to get his head around. Thats going to be the difference in him getting called for DPI's and getting interceptions. Dean played well in his limited snaps, and I'd like to see him get more opportunities. Still doesn't seem like we are letting our DBs jam at the LOS. Delaney wasn't picked on today so thats an improvement. I was impressed with Redwine today, he played really well and had a tough job being that we were running base defense when they had 3WRs on the field, and he was often responsible for guarding the slot WR from 10 yards off the ball.

Offensively, Richt ******* sucked calling plays in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Like holy **** he was terrible. Literally all Duke was doing was blitzing every ******* play and he couldn't adjust for ****. like seriously, it took him ******* 2 quarters of crap offense for him to call a **** slant, and I think he only ran a screen to Walton like once!. Thats just unacceptable play calling in those 2 quarters and the kind of **** that will single-handedly lose us games vs better teams. Secondly he absolutely refused to go under center. The RPO outside handoff to Walton was clearly NOT working at all, but he kept chugging away at it for no gain. Like seriously we couldn't go singleback more often? I really don't get Richts playcalling sometimes...he calls like a perfect 1st quarter then follows it up with absolute trash the next two.

And most importantly the OL just got wooped on. In the passing game they had a tough task because from the 2nd quarter on, Duke was basically blitzing heavily every play, but they need to step it up. The run game was absolute **** and they couldn't push the Duke DL whatsoever. It seemed like they blocked better when we went undercenter, but Richt refused to run unless it was in Shotgun. I said it all Offseason, but the OL is the most critical unit for this team. IF they pay like they did today, we will lose some games this season. If they play well, then defenses are really going to struggle stopping our offense.

Advertisement
One of my biggest problems on D; having the DBs turn around. Needs to be emphasized

One of my biggest problems on O; not running more drag or shallow crossing routes w Thomas or Harley. That part of the field is looking to be exploited.

Defense did it's job. A couple minor breakdowns led to a few too many rushing yards but overall, they looked more like they were supposed to look. Young is by far the best corner but it was encouraging to hear Delaney's name being called for making plays and not getting beat. Even had a Jhavonte Dean sighting. If you want to nitpick, Diaz did get a bit blitz happy at times (they were already getting pressure with four) and he could have dialed the obvious blitzes back a bit but overall a huge improvement from the first two weeks.

Offense was alright but it's become obvious what teams are going to try to do to stop us and Richt needs to adjust play calling to counter that. Opponents are going to load up to stop the run and bring pressure on every down. They would rather take their chances and make Rosier beat them. The short passing game could use some tweaks. I'd really like to see them max protect more and let Cager Berrios and Richards get to work against 1 on 1 coverage for morr than a second or two. That way you can still attack down field against a blitz heavy defense.

A good amount of those yards given up rushing came late when the game was decided. The D played great, especially after all the hand wringing on here the past few weeks. Coach Diaz didn't forget how to coach.

Seems like he was much more comfortable with the DBs this week, which allowed the front 7 to get back to the aggressive style of last year.

Advertisement
Redzone offense needs work but I disagree with the idea that it's bc the playcalling is bad every time we go through those back and forth lulls where we don't score or move the ball well... some times it happens in football.

Which is why we have a defense that also responded and did a great job of stifling Dukes offense until we bust the game open. That's a sign of a well coached team that we don't fold...

Coach Diaz I jumped the gun talking all that fire him bs lol, im back on board... Dee Delaney, Malek Young, Jhavonte Dean, Sheldrick Redwine all looked good out there.

The dline was nasty.... Chad Thomas is a beast. And my boy Michael Pinckney is a star, it's really that simple. Everybody keeps talking about who has the most upside **** that Mike is a playmaker.

Last edited:
You know we are on the cusp of being back when we all observe that there is a lot of room for improvement on offense, defense and special teams...
...and we still win 31-6.
And the team we beat is a good fundamentally sound team on the road. So don't anyone give me the "It was just Duke" crap,

I think most of the issues on both sides of the ball being discussed in this thread and other threads will be ironed out as the weeks go by. Playing time will help the players find their identities and roles. The coaching staff will know much more about what they need to work on and will adjust accordingly.
It is scary how much potential this team has when everyone is playing on the same page.
I was not exaggerating when I said I expect scoring records this year on offense.

Advertisement
After re-watch of the game our OL play dropped off. Just can't happen against an FSU OR VT. Concerned

So what do you defensive guys think what the difference was between the first two games and last night? Alignment? Confidence? Rust coming off? Or just better play in general? Is there a thought to Diaz thinking he could beat cookman and toledo with his base defense to not put anything on tape for the ACC teams? I'd be interested in hearing y'alls thoughts on why the D did so much better. appreciate the knowledge in advance gentlemen

Advertisement
Good stuff Liberty, but dont gloss over our rush defense. 180+ yds allowed isnt good.

Also, McCloud took a couple bad angles on option runs letting Jones go instead of blowing him TF up.

Outside of the 2 3rd and long conversions in the first half, 3rd down D was much better this week.

180 yards, but only 4 yards per play. Not bad.

IMHO the D also deserves credit for avoiding the big play. And the offense for only turning the ball over once. Duke's defense had been a solid turnover machine coming into this game. Overall our QB is taking care of the football. Rosier deserves a bunch of credit for that, especially as obvious as it is that he's still picking up the nuances of playing. And while we gave up some chunk runs and 180 yards or so on the ground, Shaun Wilson never broke loose either on the ground or in special teams. I love that we are being aggressive getting TFLs and turnovers ourselves without giving up 60 yard plays right now.

So what do you defensive guys think what the difference was between the first two games and last night? Alignment? Confidence? Rust coming off? Or just better play in general? Is there a thought to Diaz thinking he could beat cookman and toledo with his base defense to not put anything on tape for the ACC teams? I'd be interested in hearing y'alls thoughts on why the D did so much better. appreciate the knowledge in advance gentlemen
I think it's mostly this, but we can't delude ourselves into thinking the Defense is complete. Although they played better, the secondary still is shaky, and yes, I'm nitpicking, but I need to see the turnover chain more.

The players get up for the big games, problem is, champions get u for EVERY game.

Zack McCloud issue was he tried to play the pitch man and Jones when he should of just blasted Jones' *** and made him pitch the ball. That can be fixed. Glad Delaney got back on track. We need him next week to step. Dean looks like he's getting more comfortable. Still would like to see more fort from the d-line every play. Young in trail technique trying to knock the ball out of the wr's hands once they catch it has been working for him but he needs to learn to get head around.

Rich is an erratic play caller. Kinda surprises me given how long he's been in the game. Sometimes an offense just has a bad series tho. Overall good game and good win for Miami.

Advertisement
Back