My Post Game Recap: Duke

OL needs to grow a ******* pair.

The run game was a non factor for us. Once Duke figured out we couldn't do ****. They started feasting on Malik.

The pass defense looked a lot better because we weren't just letting WR run at will.

Advertisement
So what do you defensive guys think what the difference was between the first two games and last night? Alignment? Confidence? Rust coming off? Or just better play in general? Is there a thought to Diaz thinking he could beat cookman and toledo with his base defense to not put anything on tape for the ACC teams? I'd be interested in hearing y'alls thoughts on why the D did so much better. appreciate the knowledge in advance gentlemen

Won’t know until we see a screen shot by screen shot breakdown of how bad we are by our CIS coaching staff.

A lot of plays many of us thought we would see at Duke, we will prolly see more of those plays this weekend at FSU

Redzone offense needs work but I disagree with the idea that it's bc the playcalling is bad every time we go through those back and forth lulls where we don't score or move the ball well... some times it happens in football.

Which is why we have a defense that also responded and did a great job of stifling Dukes offense until we bust the game open. That's a sign of a well coached team that we don't fold...

Coach Diaz I jumped the gun talking all that fire him bs lol, im back on board... Dee Delaney, Malek Young, Jhavonte Dean, Sheldrick Redwine all looked good out there.

The dline was nasty.... Chad Thomas is a beast. And my boy Michael Pinckney is a star, it's really that simple. Everybody keeps talking about who has the most upside **** that Mike is a playmaker.

Props for owning up bro.

Really impressed with our defensive performance last night... That was a beat down from start to finish. If this team was really hitting on all cylinders like we'd all love to see for every play of the game, it would have been 80-6.!!! I'm satisfied with what I saw last night... EXCEPT for Walton still being in the game after 24-7 happened. Don't know what the f()ck that was all about.

IMHO the D also deserves credit for avoiding the big play. And the offense for only turning the ball over once. Duke's defense had been a solid turnover machine coming into this game. Overall our QB is taking care of the football. Rosier deserves a bunch of credit for that, especially as obvious as it is that he's still picking up the nuances of playing. And while we gave up some chunk runs and 180 yards or so on the ground, Shaun Wilson never broke loose either on the ground or in special teams. I love that we are being aggressive getting TFLs and turnovers ourselves without giving up 60 yard plays right now.

Avoiding the big play seems to be Diaz's main concern. Explains the way he played the slot in the first two games.

Advertisement
Richt needs to step up his sh*t. Which is why i think we need to bring in another greybeard on offense to this staff...since Thomas Brown is just oc by name and likely wont EVER challenge Right.

We use Herndon...NONE Last night...like at all. We have no creativity in the redzone which will get us killed against vt and FSU dl.....We run...NO motion at all. And if you were on the game board i called for a rb screen and it took Richt maybe 3 series to realize it was obviously open since Duke blitzed two to 3 guys every 1st down.
Still believe Richt cost us a game or 2 this year just off playcalling...his playcalling isnt helping the ol in the run game either

Richt needs to step up his sh*t. Which is why i think we need to bring in another greybeard on offense to this staff...since Thomas Brown is just oc by name and likely wont EVER challenge Right.

We use Herndon...NONE Last night...like at all. We have no creativity in the redzone which will get us killed against vt and FSU dl.....We run...NO motion at all. And if you were on the game board i called for a rb screen and it took Richt maybe 3 series to realize it was obviously open since Duke blitzed two to 3 guys every 1st down.
Still believe Richt cost us a game or 2 this year just off playcalling...his playcalling isnt helping the ol in the run game either

When you post about anything else beyond recruiting, it's terrible

Advertisement

Agree with you 100% big bro.

Our Redzone Offense is a problem right now, that's 2 weeks in a row we got down to the goaline & he just ran 3 straight plays to the same side.

We got Rosier, we can run Zone Read easy & he'll score 9 times outta 10.

We got Langham, Cager, Ahmmon & Herndon, we could easily throw a quick slant or a Fade to any of them & they're going to catch most of the time, especially against Duke's weak CB's.

****, we could've even ran a Play Action slip out where Irvin Jr gets in the back of the End Zone for an easy TD.

And, we're still not using Harley/Thomas properly either, we should be running a lot more clear out route combos that gets them one on one in space over the middle of the field.

I hope he really brings out all the stops for FSU, because there plays to be had vs that Defense, we don't need to play ultra conservative.

Our Redzone Offense is a problem right now, that's 2 weeks in a row we got down to the goaline & he just ran 3 straight plays to the same side.

We got Langham, Cager, Ahmmon & Herndon, we could easily throw a quick slant or a Fade to any of them & they're going to catch most of the time, especially against Duke's weak CB's.

****, we could've even ran a Play Action slip out where Irvin Jr gets in the back of the End Zone for an easy TD.

And, we're still not using Harley/Thomas properly either, we should be running a lot more clear out route combos that gets them one on one in space over the middle of the field.

I hope he really brings out all the stops for FSU, because there plays to be had vs that Defense, we don't need to play ultra conservative.

call me crazy, but I think richt knows he can spread it out down there

he wanted to see the o line show some **** balls

this is the third week in a row those guys got absolutely mauled at the point of the attack

doubt we'll see it against fsu

Great write up.. couldn't agree with you more!!

mike Pinckney balled out last night, I always felt like he was one of our best play makers since last year.

Redwine had a good game last night too. Although he got beat on the slant route like twice, he still made a lot of nice open field solo tackles.

this is the third week in a row those guys got absolutely mauled at the point of the attack

I tend to agree with that, because it literally makes no sense to keep doing it over & over if it's not working.

But, the reason I've made note of it is because before the season started he said we didn't have the personnel to a run a traditional Goaline set offense in Max protection because we don't have enough TE's or a FB.

Which is true, we don't. Therefore, he should at least try something else down there so he can stop running into a brick wall, that's all I'm saying lol.

Advertisement

Richt wins 31-6, yeah that's a sign that he's going to cost us games.

Richt wins 31-6, yeah that's a sign that he's going to cost us games.
I didn't say Richt was going to cost us games. I agreed with him on his assessment of the Red zone Playcalling.

Last edited:
Actually, my only problem with the offense was the lack of bubble screens. Threw a bunch against Toledo and i don't think we threw 1 this game. Bubble screens are secondary running plays should of used more of that if Walton was hurt.

This, and as LCE mentioned, more quick slants and fades in the red zone. From the second quarter on, it looked like Duke was crashing it's LBs in often on first and third down. The middle of the field was open for quick, underneath stuff. Richt eventually made that adjustment in the 4th quarter, but we needed more of it (and sooner). Our red zone personnel isn't perfect, but more fade routes to Cager would make me happy.

Advertisement

I tend to agree with that, because it literally makes no sense to keep doing it over & over if it's not working.

But, the reason I've made note of it is because before the season started he said we didn't have the personnel to a run a traditional Goaline set offense in Max protection because we don't have enough TE's or a FB.

Which is true, we don't. Therefore, he should at least try something else down there so he can stop running into a brick wall, that's all I'm saying lol.

Wouldn't mind seeing a little DJ Dallas in the wild cat in some goal line packages.

Biggest issue I saw last night was the same issue we had during the 4 game losing streak last season.

Richt's offense goes large stretches of the game where it flat out IGNORES the middle of the field. We're running way too many vertical routes and not enough slants and shallow crosses. The latter help move the chains and keep the opposing defense honest.

On the few occasions last night where we attacked the middle of the field, good things happened...which is even more infuriating. We'll find out starting next week if Richt has evolved as a playcaller.

I'd have to rewatch the game to be sure, but it felt like after the first quarter Duke were blitzing 5+ on first and second down and taking away the deep pass (Cover 3 or Cover 4?). We didn't have an answer for two quarters.

The Richards TD, their CB was 7 yards down the field and bailing. He had NO chance when Richards ran the drag route. I suspect that was there all day, Richt just didn't call it.

Advertisement
Back