My Post Game Recap: Duke

Memnon

Dejazmach
Premium
View attachment 50689

Defense, Defense, Defense!

Last week vs Toledo a lot of us were concerned with what we saw from this Defense, but this team rallied in a short week & stepped up to the plate to answer the challenge!

El Jefe made a return tonight, yes we still had some lapses where we gave up yards but overall, we completely shut down this Duke team in the 2nd half just like we did last year.

DEFENSE - 11TFL's, 5sacks & 2 Turnovers. Held Daniel Jones to just 21/41 for 166yds 0TD's & 1INT & 1Fumble.
[TWEET]913956384382779392[/TWEET]

- Michael Pinckney 10tcks 1INT 1sack 1TFL (56 NIGHTMARES THE BEAST!!!)
- Shaquille Quarterman 9tcks
- Sheldrick Redwine 7tcks .05TFL
- Jaquan Johnson 6tcks
- Darrion Owens 4tcks 2TFL's
- Dee Delaney 3tcks 1PD
- Kendrick Norton 3tcks 1TFL
- Demetrius Jackson 3tcks .05sack .05TFL 1PD
- Trent Harris 3tcks .05sack .05TFL
- Chad Thomas 2tcks 2sacks 2TFL's (MAJOR9)
- Joseph Jackson 2tcks 1sack 1TFL
- Anthony Moten 2tcks
- Pat Bethel 1sack 1TFL 1FF

image.jpg

OFFENSE - Gained 409yds Total, 4-12 on 3rd down, 139yds Rushing & 270yds Passing
- Malik Rosier 15/26 270yds 2TD's & 1INT Passing, 15att 45yds 1TD rushing
- Mark Walton 17att 51yds rushing 4rec 79yds receiving 130yds total from scrimmage
- Travis Homer 3att 43yds 1TD
- Ahmmon Richards 3rec 106yds 1TD
- Braxton Berrios 2rec 52yds 1TD
- Lawrence Cager 3rec 27yds

image.jpg

Overall, was very happy with how we played, short week of prep & just getting back into the grove of things after Irma & we really came out to ball tonight.

We definitely had some issues with playcalling after that 1st quarter, the Offense became stagnant & we looked like the Canes from last year during the 4 game slide, but our Defense showed up big time & we handled our business.

Our OL struggled quite a bit at times with Duke's DL, especially DT Mike Ramsay (who I highlighted in my pre game Breakdown earlier this week). He really feasted on a young Donaldson who is still learning how to deal with quick rushers.

Really hope Walton can get healthy enough to be 100% for FSU, he was not himself played on an injured ankle but still had some key plays for us this game.

The Return of "Young God" Ahmmon was imminent! And Berrios is still balling!

Rosier looked good early & tailed off throughout the game, he's a guy that's going to be Hot/Cold, when he's Cold Richt's gotta help him out by calling some easy rhythm throws to get him back in the game.

Redzone Offense was ******, Richt needs to get way more creative on the Goaline, not having traditional 3TE's & FB for Max protection is no excuse. We have Langham, Cager, Ahmmon, Herndon & Irvin Jr, throw the ball when the runs get stuffed. Quick Slant/Corner Fade= Easy TD's.

On Defense, Mike Pinckney & Chad Thomas were the Defensive MVP's, they really set the tone for us throughout the game especially Pinckney with that huge stop on 4th down to force a turnover on Downs & the INT he got. He was an absolute MONSTER!

The Defensive Line really showed up and balled out for us, Major 9, JJack, DJack, McIntosh, Norton, Moten & Bethel were pure hunters out there!

The DB's played really well also, Malek Young did a great job shutting down TJ Rahming their top WR & Redwine did a terrific job Tacking, he really wrapped up great.

Ultimately, this was a great W for this team, even though it was a against Duke don't diminish this victory, a 4-0 Coastal opponent on the road that had the #1 ranked run Defense & a very formidable pass rush, to go with a good rushing attack on Offense & we shut their asses down!

Last edited:
Advertisement
[video=youtube;du6BIDuQhkw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du6BIDuQhkw[/video]

Who was the poRster that said Mike Smith should/would start over Pinckney all year? LMAO...Pinckney's a stud.

Advertisement
And yes, Malek Young does need to get his head around more, but overall he completely shut down their best WR.

I thought he did a phenomenal job & I gotta give Delaney props, he looked completely different out there tonight.

He looked a lot more confident & comfortable in coverage, I'm happy for him & hope he continues to improve.

Yes, we all killed him for his last 2 games vs Bethune & Toledo, but let's hope this Duke game is the springboard for him to have a much better season down the line. Gonna need him big time vs FSU against Campbell & Tate.

Also really hope to see Dean get some more 1st team reps, that boy can really run & Cover.

Last edited:
View attachment 50689

Defense, Defense, Defense!

Last week vs Toledo a lot of us were concerned with what we saw from this Defense, but this team rallied in a short week & stepped up to the plate to answer the challenge!

El Jefe made a return tonight, yes we still had some lapses where we gave up yards but overall, we completely shut down this Duke team in the 2nd half just like we did last year.

DEFENSE - 11TFL's, 5sacks & 2 Turnovers. Held Daniel Jones to just 21/41 for 166yds 0TD's & 1INT & 1Fumble.
[TWEET]913956384382779392[/TWEET]

- Michael Pinckney 10tcks 1INT 1sack 1TFL (56 NIGHTMARES THE BEAST!!!)
- Shaquille Quarterman 9tcks
- Sheldrick Redwine 7tcks .05TFL
- Jaquan Johnson 6tcks
- Darrion Owens 6tcks 2TFL's
- Dee Delaney 3tcks 1PD
- Kendrick Norton 3tcks 1TFL
- Demetrius Jackson 3tcks .05sack .05TFL 1PD
- Trent Harris 3tcks .05sack .05TFL
- Chad Thomas 2tcks 2sacks 2TFL's (MAJOR9)
- Joseph Jackson 2tcks 1sack 1TFL
- Anthony Moten 2tcks
- Pat Bethel 1sack 1TFL 1FF

View attachment 50691

OFFENSE - Gained 409yds Total, 4-12 on 3rd down, 139yds Rushing & 270yds Passing
- Malik Rosier 15/26 270yds 2TD's & 1INT Passing, 15att 45yds 1TD rushing
- Mark Walton 17att 51yds rushing 4rec 79yds receiving 130yds total from scrimmage
- Travis Homer 3att 43yds 1TD
- Ahmmon Richards 3rec 106yds 1TD
- Braxton Berrios 2rec 52yds 1TD
- Lawrence Cager 3rec 27yds

View attachment 50692

Overall, was very happy with how we played, short week of prep & just getting back into the grove of things after Irma & we really came out to ball tonight.

We definitely had some issues with playcalling after that 1st quarter, the Offense became stagnant & we looked like the Canes from last year during the 4 game slide, but our Defense showed up big time & we handled our business.

Our OL struggled quite a bit at times with Duke's DL, especially DT Mike Ramsay (who I highlighted in my pre game Breakdown earlier this week). He really feasted on a young Donaldson who is still learning how to deal with quick rushers.

Really hope Walton can get healthy enough to be 100% for FSU, he was not himself played on an injured ankle but still had some key plays for us this game.

The Return of "Young God" Ahmmon was imminent! And Berrios is still balling!

Rosier looked good early & tailed off throughout the game, he's a guy that's going to be Hot/Cold, when he's Cold Richt's gotta help him out by calling some easy rhythm throws to get him back in the game.

Redzone Offense was ****ty, Richt needs to get way more creative on the Goaline, not having traditional 3TE's & FB for Max protection is no excuse. We have Langham, Cager, Ahmmon, Herndon & Irvin Jr, throw the ball when the runs get stuffed. Quick Slant/Corner Fade= Easy TD's.

On Defense, Mike Pinckney & Chad Thomas were the Defensive MVP's, they really set the tone for us throughout the game especially Pinckney with that huge stop on 4th down to force a turnover on Downs & the INT he got. He was an absolute MONSTER!

The Defensive Line really showed up and balled out for us, Major 9, JJack, DJack, McIntosh, Norton, Moten & Bethel were pure hunters out there!

The DB's played really well also, Malek Young did a great job shutting down TJ Rahming their top WR & Redwine did a terrific job Tacking, he really wrapped up great.

Ultimately, this was a great W for this team, even though it was a against Duke don't diminish this victory, a 4-0 Coastal opponent on the road that had the #1 ranked run Defense & a very formidable pass rush, to go with a good rushing attack on Offense & we shut their asses down!

Said this he is that type of qb...jeckle and hyde (whatever they call it)

Hes either hot and doing well or cold and lookin real bad, I think thats who he is and I think we can still win like that at least until VT

And yes, Malek Young does need to get his head around more, but overall he completely shut down their best WR.

I thought he did a phenomenal job & I gotta give Delaney props, he looked completely different out there tonight.

He looked a lot more confident & comfortable in coverage, I'm happy for him & hope he continues to improve.

Yes, we all killed him for his last 2 games vs Bethune & Toledo, but let's hope this Duke game is the springboard for him to have a much better season down the line. Gonna need him but time vs FSU against Campbell & Tate.

Also really hope to see Dean get some more 1st team reps, that boy can really run & Cover.

Diaz made some adjustments at the hald it was like adifferent team came out the locker room

Advertisement
Good stuff Liberty, but dont gloss over our rush defense. 180+ yds allowed isnt good.

Also, McCloud took a couple bad angles on option runs letting Jones go instead of blowing him TF up.

Outside of the 2 3rd and long conversions in the first half, 3rd down D was much better this week.

Good stuff Liberty, but dont gloss over our rush defense. 180+ yds allowed isnt good.

Also, McCloud took a couple bad angles on option runs letting Jones go instead of blowing him TF up.

Outside of the 2 3rd and long conversions in the first half, 3rd down D was much better this week.
You're right about the Run D, but to put it in context it was mainly useless yards (I know, I know lol)

What I'm saying is, for the most part we actually made them 1 dimensional in the 2nd half, we forced them to throw the ball 41 times, that's not what they wanted to do at all. They're run first team & despite the rush yards, we kept them out of the Endzone.

Our pass rush really showed up today, 11TFL's & 5sacks is Miami style Defense that we should be accustomed to from last year.

This game reminded me somewhat of the GTech game last year, gave up rush yards but overall dominated them on Defense.

Advertisement
Re-watching the game right now. Dean got the Int. I don't know how that was not a reviewed play. (Great catch to)

Re-watching the game right now. Dean got the Int. I don't know how that was not a reviewed play. (Great catch to)
I thought the exact same thing, don't know we didn't challenge it, unless we had ran out of TO's by then.

Yes, we all killed him for his last 2 games vs Bethune & Toledo, but let's hope this Duke game is the springboard for him to have a much better season down the line. Gonna need him big time vs FSU against Campbell & Tate.

His problem was never ability, it was not being on the same page as the rest of the secondary.

Advertisement
Also I know people like to complain about the offense (Me included sometimes) But I'm more of a 'shut they *** out then you won't have to worry about the offense' kind of guy. We can't have what we had the first 2 games happen again the rest of the season. You always have a chance to win something when your defense is a great or elite defense that is probably why I was freaking out by our first 2 games. Manny's has again gained my respect just off the fact he realize there was something schematically wrong right now and he adjusted and he was rewarded. First 2 game we went from sending a million soft zone blitzes to playing straight up 1v1 football like we did last year while still maintaining our aggressiveness and not over doing it. The players benefited highly from the adjustments and simplifying the defense and we didn't give up a TD as a result. Pinckey who looked confused and a step slow the first 2 games was suddenly all over the play like he was last year. That gives me hope for the future with Manny running the D. He just better not pull a No D and revert to old form.

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;SH5ZLjC5kcY]https://youtu.be/SH5ZLjC5kcY[/video]

Last edited:
Actually, my only problem with the offense was the lack of bubble screens. Threw a bunch against Toledo and i don't think we threw 1 this game. Bubble screens are secondary running plays should of used more of that if Walton was hurt.

Advertisement
Back