My Microwaved Take: UM Finishes with a Higher Ranking in Polls than in Crooting

Will UM Finish with a Higher Ranking in the Polls or Recruiting?

• Polls

• Recruiting

Results are only viewable after voting.

IndayArtHauz

Knoxville Baby Maker
Administrator
I know, this breaks every conventional wisdom. It defies all expectations. "Mario is most proven as a recruiter!"

You're upset, it's ok. You're slamming the keys, screaming "Inday, did you think about the first year bump?" "Or that we don't actually have a WR on scholarship?"

Fair points, well taken, but I believe this crooting thing will take more time to correct. The biggest fish in the sea are not yet jumping into the boat, and we aren't sneaking up on anyone. I also think we are not crushing the NIL game as comprehensively as we will in the future.

You can take this question whichever way you like: we finish unranked, the Crooters automatically win. We finish 8th or 9th in the nation, that's going to be hard to top with the incoming class. I am personally skeptical that '23 will finish inside the top 10. It's June, but I just don't see it. Despite my opinion being obviously correct, I mean when have I ever been wrong, I believe this poll will be 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Recruiting.

Just like microwaved food, this take could burn your tongue, or need another 15 seconds to be palatable.

Britney What Do You Think GIF by Omni !

Advertisement
I know, this breaks every conventional wisdom. It defies all expectations. "Mario is most proven as a recruiter!"

You're upset, it's ok. You're slamming the keys, screaming "Inday, did you think about the first year bump?" "Or that we don't actually have a WR on scholarship?"

Fair points, well taken, but I believe this crooting thing will take more time to correct. The biggest fish in the sea are not yet jumping into the boat, and we aren't sneaking up on anyone. I also think we are not crushing the NIL game as comprehensively as we will in the future.

You can take this question whichever way you like: we finish unranked, the Crooters automatically win. We finish 8th or 9th in the nation, that's going to be hard to top with the incoming class. I am personally skeptical that '23 will finish inside the top 10. It's June, but I just don't see it. Despite my opinion being obviously correct, I mean when have I ever been wrong, I believe this poll will be 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Recruiting.

Just like microwaved food, this take could burn your tongue, or need another 15 seconds to be palatable.

I see us winning 10 games and at top 10 or just outside top 10. I think you are correct for this year. As long as we are getting blue chip caliber players on OL/DL I am cool. Once FL changes NIL law I think we will be consistently in the top 5, plus results and the facilty upgrades

I see what your doing.... but I'll play anyway

Better Recruiting eanking

We started around #40 and have slid to about #10. I'm not sure if I can stop stairing at the journey

OGbr.gif

Last edited:
likely we go 9-3 regular season, maybe finish the year 10-4. We didn’t get a wide out or a RT. Loaded up on tweener DL and have no LBs. Probably finish the year in the 13-20 range in the rankings (Utah was 13 at 10-4 this year, Oregon was 22 with the same record) if that record happens . If Mario is lower than 20 in recruiting fly the banner. I’m going recruiting ranking higher around 8-10.

Advertisement
My hot take on your hot take. You're only saying this because you're realistic enough to realize that the CIS recruiting hype machine will once again fall short on their asinine takes, not because you think the team will outplay expectations this season on the field.

Interesting take, cause if we finish 8 or 9 in the polls that would mean we won 10 + games and ACCCG appearance, which then has an effect on recruiting. If that’s the case I’ll say we either push or we will land some of the big fish were after and have a higher ranked recruiting class.

C8D99F90-9C73-4395-87D4-FEDCC68FA027.gif

Advertisement
Only Miamis luck would lead to a period in college football where the art of recruiting no longer matters after hiring the best recruiting HC in college football along with a monster recruiting staff around him.

Incompetence played a major factor in our downfall but there was always points in that span where I felt like we were cursed. This timing of the new era of college football only confirms that.

I think we go 9-4 with a bowl win and finish with a similarly ranked class we did last year, probably a couple spots higher at like 13 or 14. So I give the nudge to recruiting but only by a few spots over the polls.

You’re either assuming Miami is going to be much better than most expect or that Mario Cristobal is going to be a worse recruiter than Manny Diaz.

I legitimately expect a top 15 recruiting class. If Miami finishes ranked higher than 15th in the polls, the recruiting class will likely be even better.

Only Miamis luck would lead to a period in college football where the art of recruiting no longer matters after hiring the best recruiting HC in college football along with a monster recruiting staff around him.

Incompetence played a major factor in our downfall but there was always points in that span where I felt like we were cursed. This timing of the new era of college football only confirms that.

I think we go 9-4 with a bowl win and finish with a similarly ranked class we did last year, probably a couple spots higher at like 13 or 14. So I give the nudge to recruiting but only by a few spots over the polls.
Thats my concern. That Mario’s recruiting prowess only keeps us equal to Manny’s talent acquisition in a full NIL era. That unless we are willing to seriously spend - and spend millions per each 5 star recruit - then having 300 coaches and analysts, Highsmith, and a new athletic facility is meaningless to recruits. Even the wins in 2022 are meaningless.

Its just about the money - almost exclusively. If FSU was willing to drop $4M per year on Rashada but otherwise had no other improvements, they would now be a serious contender or a outright front runner.

Advertisement
Miami is a pretty big player in the NIL game right now. There’s a handful of schools going crazy with offers but we’re talking about maybe two or three schools. They’re only allowed to sign 25 players a year. It’s not like the small group of huge spenders can buy up every single player. I get it that everyone, including Nick Saban is afraid of what Texas A&M is doing. But once again, they can only sign 25 players and only have 11 starters on each side. Eventually half their five star signees are going to enter the portal because you can’t have 5 starting defensive ends. The situation is odd but hardly bleak.

Advertisement
Inday, I think you're almost right, but just not quite right....and we'll all be happy with Mario's Year 1...well at least those of us with realistic expectations will...here's why

Top 15-20 ranking at seasons end
Top 8-13 recruiting ranking (some might be ****ed about this, but in Year 1 of a full NIL cycle, it'll take 1 cycle to figure this out for Mario....after that it's annual top 10 classes)

Last edited:
Inday, I think you're almost right, but not just not quite right....and we'll all be happy with Mario's Year 1...well at least those of us with realistic expectations will...here's why

Top 15-20 ranking at seasons end
Top 8-13 recruiting ranking (some might be ****ed about this, but in Year 1 of a full NIL cycle, it'll take 1 cycle to figure this out for Mario....after that it's annual top 10 classes)
It’s nothing to figure out either Miami dropping bags or not, you either wanna play for Miami or not

Advertisement
Back