My Microwaved Take: UM Finishes with a Higher Ranking in Polls than in Crooting

Will UM Finish with a Higher Ranking in the Polls or Recruiting?

• Polls

• Recruiting

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know everyone's gun shy, but I don't understand the puked out projections.

Last season, just one little play - here - and another little play - there - and we'd have been a 10-win team LAST YEAR!

So many here seem to believe our coaching staff and some talent infusions we've made - WON'T pull out another two wins?

Virginia, UNC, and FSU - total points we lost by was by 8 points combined!

So, if what you guys are projecting is maybe 8 wins - then our coaches suck. Our players - suck.

Whatever!

Advertisement
I know, this breaks every conventional wisdom. It defies all expectations. "Mario is most proven as a recruiter!"

You're upset, it's ok. You're slamming the keys, screaming "Inday, did you think about the first year bump?" "Or that we don't actually have a WR on scholarship?"

Fair points, well taken, but I believe this crooting thing will take more time to correct. The biggest fish in the sea are not yet jumping into the boat, and we aren't sneaking up on anyone. I also think we are not crushing the NIL game as comprehensively as we will in the future.

You can take this question whichever way you like: we finish unranked, the Crooters automatically win. We finish 8th or 9th in the nation, that's going to be hard to top with the incoming class. I am personally skeptical that '23 will finish inside the top 10. It's June, but I just don't see it. Despite my opinion being obviously correct, I mean when have I ever been wrong, I believe this poll will be 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Recruiting.

Just like microwaved food, this take could burn your tongue, or need another 15 seconds to be palatable.

Britney What Do You Think GIF by Omni !
UM finishes with a top 10 class and finishes with a top 10 season ... win win.

@IndayArtHauz
lol man... something about this thread doesn't add up.
Let's look at our recent rankings history and Mario's, starting with the first full seasons on the job.

Mario's first full season was 2018, which means he was recruiting for the 2019 season.
Season record final ranking recruiting year recruiting rank
2018 9-4 unranked 2019 7 (including #1 overall player)
2019 12-2 5 2020 12
2020 4-3 unranked 2021 6
2021 10-2* 15* 2022 *Mario left before signing day

Richt's first full season was 2016.
2016 9-4 20 2017 12
2017 10-3 13 2018 8
2018 7-5 unranked 2019 *Richt left before signing day

Manny's first full season was 2019.
2019 6-7 unranked 2020 17
2020 8-3 22 2021 11
2021 7-5 unranked 2022 *Manny gave tf up

That's 7 seasons, excluding transition classes, between Mario, Manny and Richt.
In 3 of those 7 seasons, their teams finished unranked, but their recruiting classes finished 6 (Mario), 7 (Mario) and 17 (Manny).
Of the 4 seasons their teams finished ranked in the AP/Coaches polls, their recruiting classes were ranked higher in 3 of them. The lone exception was Mario's #12 ranked class coming off a #5 ranking in the AP and coaches polls.
That #12 ranked class included three 5*, including Justin Flowe.

Now.. call me crazy but seeing as how Miami has finished with a higher recruiting class ranking than their AP/coaches ranking every year since the 247 composite became a thing, our current HC and his staff are known for their recruiting, AND now we have a NIL to back us up...

I just can't shake the feeling that you've heard something that's making you warn us to temper our expectations.

If Mario can’t out recruit an 8 win season I will be disappointed.

Advertisement
Years have made me pessimistic, as have the NIL era

Miami’s regular season record: 10-3
Miami’s Recruiting Ranking: 21

2023: A&M brags about how it spent $45M to secure this year’s class
2024: Texas brags about how it spent $67M to secure this year’s class
2025: A&M brags about how it spent $80M to secure this year’s class
2026: Texas brags about how it spent $125M to secure this year’s class

My ridiculous take is this - in an NIL era Mario’s on field success is as the Borg would say, irrelevant. Facilities are irrelevant. Towns are irrelevant. Pro prospects and development are not irrelevant, but secondary. What matters is money, and how much a player can make, NOW.

Miami spent big this off-season, just like the French did after WWI in building their Maginot Line. But the French military was trained to fight the last war. And we invested heavily to win a pre NIL era war. The advantages that a new building and an army of analysts and coaches bring may be mute when another school can come to the 5 star recruit that you’re targeting and say on the night before Early Signing Day, “we have a four year package worth $56M ready for you.”

Where Miami’s investment may eventually pay off is their ability to identify upper level 3 star and 4 star talent, developing them fully in an environment less fraught with selfishness and silliness than a Texas who has a $125M annual payroll in a few years for people in their late teens and early 20s. That said, it will still be tricky. Players can still transfer out, as West Virginia and Pitt experienced this year.

Miami is a pretty big player in the NIL game right now. There’s a handful of schools going crazy with offers but we’re talking about maybe two or three schools. They’re only allowed to sign 25 players a year. It’s not like the small group of huge spenders can buy up every single player. I get it that everyone, including Nick Saban is afraid of what Texas A&M is doing. But once again, they can only sign 25 players and only have 11 starters on each side. Eventually half their five star signees are going to enter the portal because you can’t have 5 starting defensive ends. The situation is odd but hardly bleak.
Can sign as many you want as long roster is under 85. Last yr TAMU sign 32 Bama sign 30. If we hit on almost everybody that we pursuing our class will be 28-32. N when it come to the trenches always hood to load up. Your first stringer only as hood as the 2nd stringer.

I know, this breaks every conventional wisdom. It defies all expectations. "Mario is most proven as a recruiter!"

You're upset, it's ok. You're slamming the keys, screaming "Inday, did you think about the first year bump?" "Or that we don't actually have a WR on scholarship?"

Fair points, well taken, but I believe this crooting thing will take more time to correct. The biggest fish in the sea are not yet jumping into the boat, and we aren't sneaking up on anyone. I also think we are not crushing the NIL game as comprehensively as we will in the future.

You can take this question whichever way you like: we finish unranked, the Crooters automatically win. We finish 8th or 9th in the nation, that's going to be hard to top with the incoming class. I am personally skeptical that '23 will finish inside the top 10. It's June, but I just don't see it. Despite my opinion being obviously correct, I mean when have I ever been wrong, I believe this poll will be 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Recruiting.

Just like microwaved food, this take could burn your tongue, or need another 15 seconds to be palatable.

I hope to God this ends up being wrong

Advertisement

Ooof

I think you might want to get that Microwave fixed. LOL

Is this the first ever "bump" thread where the large majority were right!?
Long overdue bump. Yes indeed!

I think we've all been wondering why our boy @IndayArtHauz has morphed into a turbo charged version of Debbie Downer, Chicken Little and Mr. Negativity, spreading doom and gloom to threads all over CIS. Then I remembered this thread, and I'm thinking this is the reason why. Indy's original prediction went down in flames and no one remembered.

sad dark cloud GIF by Phizz

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think this is coming from a dark place. I think we all know this place all too well. Nothing goes in our favor and we are forever cursed. While not misplaced, this is coming from the past 15+ years of mediocrity and a slow start to (no big names yet) recruiting this year.

@IndayArtHauz Bubby, I'm your white knight.
Die Hard Hans GIF by Matt
Alas, he's retreated to an even darker place after recent events. Its time for an intervention for @IndayArtHauz , and bring him back to his normal, positive self.

Advertisement
Back