My Microwaved Take: UM Finishes with a Higher Ranking in Polls than in Crooting

Will UM Finish with a Higher Ranking in the Polls or Recruiting?

• Polls

• Recruiting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Britney What Do You Think GIF by Omni !
I think we need more Emojis. None of them describe how I feel about this post. Didn't we used to have question mark?

Advertisement
My point is:

If Miami has a good enough season to finish with a top 10 ranking. (we're talking like 11-3 or better after the ACCCG and bowl) we're likely to end up with a very good to great recruiting class. Likely top 5-10. The only thing better than having a staff that can recruit is having a staff that can recruit to a top team.

Advertisement
I know, this breaks every conventional wisdom. It defies all expectations. "Mario is most proven as a recruiter!"

You're upset, it's ok. You're slamming the keys, screaming "Inday, did you think about the first year bump?" "Or that we don't actually have a WR on scholarship?"

Fair points, well taken, but I believe this crooting thing will take more time to correct. The biggest fish in the sea are not yet jumping into the boat, and we aren't sneaking up on anyone. I also think we are not crushing the NIL game as comprehensively as we will in the future.

You can take this question whichever way you like: we finish unranked, the Crooters automatically win. We finish 8th or 9th in the nation, that's going to be hard to top with the incoming class. I am personally skeptical that '23 will finish inside the top 10. It's June, but I just don't see it. Despite my opinion being obviously correct, I mean when have I ever been wrong, I believe this poll will be 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Recruiting.

Just like microwaved food, this take could burn your tongue, or need another 15 seconds to be palatable.

I think this is coming from a dark place. I think we all know this place all too well. Nothing goes in our favor and we are forever cursed. While not misplaced, this is coming from the past 15+ years of mediocrity and a slow start to (no big names yet) recruiting this year.

I don't know if recruiting rankings have ever been lower than poll rankings (for Miami at least). To put it in perspective, for that past decade Miami has averaged W-L of 7.7-4.9 and only finished ranked in the final AP Poll only 3 times over that time span. However, despite that mediocrity, we have an average recruiting ranking of 16th in 24/7 polls. We finished 16th in recruiting with 14 recruits in 2022... With even a few more recruits we start to scare that top 10 spot.

Have you seen the amount of experience we have on our coaching staff? Our head guy is known to be a recruiter. Despite how we feel, Miami still recruits itself. We just need to give these recruits a reason to come. This coaching staff gives recruits a reason to come. The W's will give them a cherry on top. Even if we disappoint in year 1 and go 8-5 (that's pretty much our average W-L slightly better) we would have to absolutely fail on the recruiting trail to not beat 16th in recruiting. If we finish (which I highly doubt we will) 8-9th in the polls that's 11 wins. In no known universe will Miami finish lower in recruiting rankings if we finish 9th in the polls. We'd be gunning for that 1 spot if that was the case.

@IndayArtHauz Bubby, I'm your white knight.
Die Hard Hans GIF by Matt

Miami is a pretty big player in the NIL game right now. There’s a handful of schools going crazy with offers but we’re talking about maybe two or three schools. They’re only allowed to sign 25 players a year. It’s not like the small group of huge spenders can buy up every single player. I get it that everyone, including Nick Saban is afraid of what Texas A&M is doing. But once again, they can only sign 25 players and only have 11 starters on each side. Eventually half their five star signees are going to enter the portal because you can’t have 5 starting defensive ends. The situation is odd but hardly bleak.
I’ll believe it when we start winning big recruiting battles for the 2023 class, which hasn’t happened yet (still early). If it’s true that we won’t let anyone outbid us for a guy like Francis, then show me it. Until then it’s all speculation and the infamous silents.

I know, this breaks every conventional wisdom. It defies all expectations. "Mario is most proven as a recruiter!"

You're upset, it's ok. You're slamming the keys, screaming "Inday, did you think about the first year bump?" "Or that we don't actually have a WR on scholarship?"

Fair points, well taken, but I believe this crooting thing will take more time to correct. The biggest fish in the sea are not yet jumping into the boat, and we aren't sneaking up on anyone. I also think we are not crushing the NIL game as comprehensively as we will in the future.

You can take this question whichever way you like: we finish unranked, the Crooters automatically win. We finish 8th or 9th in the nation, that's going to be hard to top with the incoming class. I am personally skeptical that '23 will finish inside the top 10. It's June, but I just don't see it. Despite my opinion being obviously correct, I mean when have I ever been wrong, I believe this poll will be 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Recruiting.

Just like microwaved food, this take could burn your tongue, or need another 15 seconds to be palatable.

"The biggest fish in the sea are not yet jumping into the boat"

This is what used to happen under the old regimes, jumped into the boat early, then jumped back out when it mattered most. I am not worried yet about not having a well formed class.

Advertisement
My point is:

If Miami has a good enough season to finish with a top 10 ranking. (we're talking like 11-3 or better after the ACCCG and bowl) we're likely to end up with a very good to great recruiting class. Likely top 5-10. The only thing better than having a staff that can recruit is having a staff that can recruit to a top team.

Yup. Winning big in year one will help recruiting.

If it is the night before ESD and we are in the top 10 heading into a bowl game, it means we are no worse than a 2-loss team through the ACCCG and heading to a NY6 bowl (at a minimum). If that happens, Mario and this staff will have a lot kids looking at them believing he's bringing UM back into prominence and wanting to jump on board. If that happens, watch out.

Conversely, if it is the night before ESD and we've already lost 4 games, I think we still end up with a top 12(ish) class on the strength of this staff (and NIL).

IMO we'll likely end up somewhere in between those numbers (top 12 recruiting class, top 15-25 finish).

Considering our ceiling seems to be 11-2 with an ACCCG win (I would put that at around a 25% chance of happening), I could maybe see it, pretty good hot take. However, I would nonetheless be extremely disappointed - heck probably appalled - if we finished outside the Top 12 in recruiting…considering how much of an impact Mario had in his ridiculously short timeframe with the 2022 class. Quite frankly, that would show me we’re not big in NIL, and it’s all talk; because sadly, that’s what the driving force behind most of the big recruitments is right now.

All I’m saying is we better finish ahead of the Gator in recruiting. Literally no excuses to finish behind Brokeback Billy, whose recruiting class was on life support before a Rashada commitment will potentially serve as a catalyst to other guys. Despite the figure probably being a bit ridiculous, they’ve put their money where their mouth is early on with recruits - we’ve yet to do so.

I also expect to beat out most of the “Tier 2” schools like Penn St, OU, Tennessee, Oregon, ND, Michigan, etc. Tier 1 guys (Bama, UGA, ATM, Texas, Ohio St, USC, maybe Clemson), I get that’ll take time, but we have no excuses to be in that group within a few years of our NIL is as strong as some have indicated.

I’ll believe it when we start winning big recruiting battles for the 2023 class, which hasn’t happened yet (still early). If it’s true that we won’t let anyone outbid us for a guy like Francis, then show me it. Until then it’s all speculation and the infamous silents.
The last minute pulls in 2022 got me on board. These guys (mostly just Mario at that time) were able to pull Moss, Kelly, Citizen and Skinner after a 7-5 Manny Diaz season. Two top 100 players and two guys just outside the top 100. We may not be able to land every big name player but I would be shocked if the 2023 recruiting class didn't end up inside the top 15 in the country. I mean, last year's class finished 16th. It's not asking too much to do a little better with a whole year and staff available.

Relationships take time with a first year staff, especially when only a few of them have been in our recruiting foot print. I am a little surprised at the lack of recruiting momentum we have, maybe it will pick up after legends camp and next week when we have some important OVs.

Advertisement
The last minute pulls in 2022 got me on board. These guys (mostly just Mario at that time) were able to pull Moss, Kelly, Citizen and Skinner after a 7-5 Manny Diaz season. Two top 100 players and two guys just outside the top 100. We may not be able to land every big name player but I would be shocked if the 2023 recruiting class didn't end up inside the top 15 in the country. I mean, last year's class finished 16th. It's not asking too much to do a little better with a whole year and staff available.
100 percent, and I know the game has sort of changed with NIL etc., but I’d expect a jump into the Top 10 (maybe Top 12) considering the impact he had on the 2022 class with such little time to work with. And if that were the case, then **** - I hope Inday is right. Then we’re looking at a Top 10 team with a ton of pieces to build around heading into 2023.

Considering our ceiling seems to be 11-2 with an ACCCG win (I would put that at around a 25% chance of happening), I could maybe see it, pretty good hot take. However, I would nonetheless be extremely disappointed - heck probably appalled - if we finished outside the Top 12 in recruiting…considering how much of an impact Mario had in his ridiculously short timeframe with the 2022 class. Quite frankly, that would show me we’re not big in NIL, and it’s all talk; because sadly, that’s what the driving force behind most of the big recruitments is right now.

All I’m saying is we better finish ahead of the Gator in recruiting. Literally no excuses to finish behind Brokeback Billy, whose recruiting class was on life support before a Rashada commitment will potentially serve as a catalyst to other guys. Despite the figure probably being a bit ridiculous, they’ve put their money where their mouth is early on with recruits - we’ve yet to do so.

I also expect to beat out most of the “Tier 2” schools like Penn St, OU, Tennessee, Oregon, ND, Michigan, etc. Tier 1 guys (Bama, UGA, ATM, Texas, Ohio St, USC, maybe Clemson), I get that’ll take time, but we have no excuses to be in that group within a few years of our NIL is as strong as some have indicated.
We always finish higher in recruiting than poll ranking. In your scenario 11-2 with an ACCCG win, we would be ranked in the top 8 in the polls and we would be top 3 recruiting class.

These recruiting rankings will be off because I dont know if coaches will take the same numbers knowing they got the portal. I would care more about our rank per recruit to check the quality. I think we'll have 9 or 10 wins and we'll hover around 10-15. We will have a higher rank recruiting class imo.

Advertisement
Recruiting will be higher. We ARE in the conversation with as many 5 star/ high rank kids have we have been in the last 20 years. We have THE recruiter and funds.

But I will say this.. our DEFENSE/Steele will surprise many here and will win us some games... don’t underestimate the value of the a well coached talented DL and/plus TVD

I say 10 Wins and Top 9 class

Last edited:
I have us ranked in the Top 25 to end the season. I still see us going 8-4 regular season, & winning our bowl game. I see us w/ a top 7 recruiting class; if we can finished 16th last class w/ a skeleton crew, I think we jump at least 9 spots w/ some momentum

Last edited:
I have us ranked in the Top 25 to end the season. I still see us going 8-4 regular season, & winning our bowl game. I see us w/ a top 7 recruiting class; if we can finished 16th last class w/ a skeleton crew; I think we jump at least 9 spots w/ some momentum

I know 8-4 is a more likely outcome than 10+. But I just can’t see 4 losses. Yes the Canes lost 5 last season and barely won a couple more. But we also barely lost most of those 5.

The probable outcome last year was 8-4 with a large standard error. I think our probable outcome is 9-3 with a more narrow standard error (we will NOT lose to FSU). And the upside is on the positive.

Steele and Strong are going to turn the defense from a liability to a strength. All those 2022 kids plus Avantae that were thrown in last year are now veterans. And the transfers are going to contribute big time.

We have no holes, which raises our floor significantly, just a lack of difference makers that limits our celing. But those may emerge as the season progresses, and I hope and expect us to be dramatically better in November than in September.

Advertisement
Back