My biggest questions going into Fall Camp scrimmage #1 (Q1 UPDATE)

Do we have WR who can create space on their own or will Dawson have to be magic to get our guys open. The last handful of years we didn’t have WR who could win one v one. It’s embarrassing how bad that room as been for years. I still don’t see the high level talent there. Hints why Ray Ray is all the buzz and is a freshmen.

Dawson is going to have to use RB and TE in the passing game. I think we finally have some size and skill on the o-line to run the ball better. Cohen, Lee and Cooper should move ppl. If we can finally establish a consistent running game it makes the WR & TVD that much more dangerous.
Bolded is at the top of my list too

i want to see cb play, just watching guidry defense at marshall and he puts alot of trust in his corners

Advertisement
For me my biggest question going into the scrimmage is how rivers will handle the speed rushers he will see as our starting left tackle. He’s going to start the year there. Can’t confirm if he will end it there but he’s a starters here no matter what.

We have four nfl guys on this line right now. Although Francis is young. Cohen lee rivers Francis will have their shot in the league

I’m not going to chime in too much here because I’ve been watching TVD highlights from 2021 today

The kid has so much ******* talent

We’ve got a long ways to go in a lot of ways, but when you’ve got a kid with talent like that’s it’s hard to wrap your head around last season

Here’s to hoping we see glimpses of that talent again, and Howard Schnellenberger willing, a Heisman dark horse candidate again
pretty simple on last year. Gattis, inexperience/injured OL, inexperience/injured WR room with some clowns in it.

Advertisement
I dug this up on our injury situation last year : https://247sports.com/college/miami...n-pads-with-open-scrimmage-nearing-214022419/

To summarize:
-We lost TVD with nowhere near a capable backup at QB
-Chaney and Citizen went down at RB and we had to go get Lucious Stanley from Division II
-Knighton was a turnover machine
-TE-Arroyo was not available after game 4
-WR Restrepo missed most of the year //Jacolby George was hurt at the TAM game and missed time
-OL- By the end of the year there was hardly anyone left.

Going injury free is tough to do but having to play mostly your second-team O spells doom for most teams.

I would argue that without those injuries last year- we win 8+ games and are least respectable.
We need some luck for sure. So far things are in better place in that area this year whereas FSU and NC have already had some bad luck.

Do we have WR who can create space on their own or will Dawson have to be magic to get our guys open. The last handful of years we didn’t have WR who could win one v one. It’s embarrassing how bad that room as been for years. I still don’t see the high level talent there. Hints why Ray Ray is all the buzz and is a freshmen.

Dawson is going to have to use RB and TE in the passing game. I think we finally have some size and skill on the o-line to run the ball better. Cohen, Lee and Cooper should move ppl. If we can finally establish a consistent running game it makes the WR & TVD that much more dangerous.
We have at least 4 WRs who can create separation at the line. Young, George, X and Kirk. Harrell can create it once in space. George and Kirk and both quick laterally and Young uses is hands really well to get off a corner.

2nd annual thread like this. Here was last year's version (epic disasters on questions 1 and 2): https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/my-biggest-questions-going-into-fall-camp.178845/

For 2023, I have related, but slightly different questions:

Here’s what I’ll look for during Fall camp (and the early parts of the season):

1. Will Coach Cristobal truly hand over the reigns to Coach Dawson's presumed style?
Of course, the sensical answer is "well, he brought him in, so obviously." However, we've consistently heard quotes from both Coach Cristobal and Coach Mirabal about how Dawson "has really evolved" and how much of the "run game diversity" he's included in the general spread principles. To me, that naturally indicates they want *their* brand and imprint on the offense.

Yes, I realize that goes hand in hand with the overall culture they aim to achieve. But, you know what else helps culture? Winning. You know what helps winning? Putting your offensive players in space and having your QB in a relatively comfortable position to succeed. I strongly believe in the grind and mental toughness. Those ends are often achieved artfully; not always with a hammer. I've already acknowledged the need for massive roster turnover. Coach Cristobal was given credit for that. If Coach Cristobal's strengths lie somewhere other than Xs and Os, specifically, then make your hire and let him cook. The significant and quick change from Gattis (an objective failure here in multiple ways) to Dawson is a positive move. Let's see where it goes.

2. How will we hold up physically? (same question as last year)
We went from what many consistently told me was "almost no hitting and tackling to the ground" under Manny to hyper-physical practices last season. We didn't have depth, and when injuries hit in practice and otherwise, we looked like a shell of a roster. Let me be clear: I think the best way to get good at tackling at the college level is to tackle. I strongly believe there needs to be some of it.

I also realize we need to be somewhere reasonable and manage our depth. Specifically, we have certain position groups - like DT and parts of the OL - that are top heavy. While injuries are inevitable, we cannot afford to lose too many of our top guys and expect to do much of anything. We just don't [yet?] have that kind of depth.

3. Will TVD return to his old flashes and which offensive skill position player(s) surprise(s)?
As skeptical as I was about the questionable fit of Gattis' style, I'm cautiously optimistic about a regression to at least a reasonable mean with this year's offense. The answer to this question is linked to question 1 above. It is, however, more specific to how we set up individual players for success. And, I've got specific hopes/goals for the offense:

(a) from 117th in TDs/game (1.9!) to something competent like 40th (which is estimated at 3.6 TDs/game)

(b) from 104th in Yards Per Play (4.8) to something more like 40th (which is estimated around 6 yards per play)

(c) from 77th in 3rd down conversion % (37.7%) to something more like 40th (which is estimated at 41%)

(d) from 117th in Points Per Play (.267!) to something halfway reasonable like 50th (which is estimated at .4)

(e) from 110th in RZ % (76.3%!) to something competent like 50th (which is estimated at 85%)

(f) from 114th in Points per game (19.4, left the critical one for last) to something competent like 44th (which is estimated at 30PPG)

Is it possible to be pleasantly surprised on some of the above if TVD and his skill players are played to their strengths? Sure. But, competence goes a long way. We score 30 PPG and have a reasonable uptick in our defense's ability to get off the field (opponent's 3rd down conversion %) and stop big plays (opponent's yards per play), and most of the rest tends to work itself out.
Great post @LuCane

Put me on record that assuming TVD is mostly healthy that we average at least 34 ppg

I’ll also go on record to say RayRay becomes the next Tank Dell under Dawson

1. Yes, 3. Yes. As long as Dawson does okay in Games 1 and 2, Mario will give him the bit and let him go. And TVD has some self-confidence issues when he gets a streak of bad throws/drops, so I could see him having a down quarter or half. But he is just too talented to fail and he has a dramatically improved supporting cast.

I am somewhat concerned about 2, how we hold up physically. But it helps that our guys are no longer undersized and we're deeper than we've been in 2 decades in many/most positions. I think we'll be okay there overall.

My primary concerns are positional -- Backup QB, LT, WR1, OLB, safety other than Kam, second team CBs. As long as those guys don't lose games for us, we're going to have a strong season.
Grover, you can relax on WR. We are SOOOOOOO in a better place there. It is not even close.

Advertisement
To me this is mostly on TVD..if he’s the Qb we think he is..we should win 9-10 games with some injury luck, the oline and still being more talented then almost every team we will play

To me this is mostly on TVD..if he’s the Qb we think he is..we should win 9-10 games with some injury luck, the oline and still being more talented then almost every team we will play
Not going to predict wins/losses, but I agree regarding TVD. We've gotta keep QB1 healthy and get way up in a few games to get QB2 and QB3 some r live game reps. Go Canes 🏈

We have at least 4 WRs who can create separation at the line. Young, George, X and Kirk. Harrell can create it once in space. George and Kirk and both quick laterally and Young uses is hands really well to get off a corner.

We will see. When I watched Miami live last year our Wr were stuck running in mud and get zero separation. Same every year I go watch games live and can actually see th secondary. Not the tv view that only shows line of scrimmage

We will see. When I watched Miami live last year our Wr were stuck running in mud and get zero separation. Same every year I go watch games live and can actually see th secondary. Not the tv view that only shows line of scrimmage
I am speaking from my observations this year. Young is much more advanced than last year. X had a bad foot last year, George was suspended then got hurt last year. Horton was hurt last year, Harrell was not here nor was Kirk or Ray Ray. Its not even close.

Advertisement
I am speaking from my observations this year. Young is much more advanced than last year. X had a bad foot last year, George was suspended then got hurt last year. Horton was hurt last year, Harrell was not here nor was Kirk or Ray Ray. Its not even close.
Let them show it on the field lol, lay off the koolaid

Each season, I watch other teams with lesser athletes scheme guys wide open. Now, we have at least a couple of likely contributors who will put vertical pressure on the defense's coverages: Harrell and Ray Ray. Just sending them on vertical routes will hopefully clear space for YAC guys (Restrepo? Kirk? George?) underneath. That's probably an entirely separate thread.

Grover, you can relax on WR. We are SOOOOOOO in a better place there. It is not even close.

I hear you. I just remember a couple years ago thinking the three amigos (Brashard, George and Brinson) we’re going to be freshmen AAs. Before that it was Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope. Before that it was Jeff Thomas. … our WRs look improved. Now show me.

p.s. I will say this. Ray Ray seems to be a next level kid. I feel very good about him. I’m more worried about who is our WR #1

Advertisement
I hear you. I just remember a couple years ago thinking the three amigos (Brashard, George and Brinson) we’re going to be freshmen AAs. Before that it was Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope. Before that it was Jeff Thomas. … our WRs look improved. Now show me.

p.s. I will say this. Ray Ray seems to be a next level kid. I feel very good about him. I’m more worried about who is our WR #1
“Show me” is always going to be a fair, albeit boring response this time of year

But I’m with you on RayRay. We never heard the consistent positive things about any of those guys the way we have with RayRay

“Show me” is always going to be a fair, albeit boring response this time of year

But I’m with you on RayRay. We never heard the consistent positive things about any of those guys the way we have with RayRay

Yeah I’m boring AF these days. But guys like Deen, Cohen, Lee, Cisco, Devante Brown, David, Ajay Allen and Roberts all showed something in real games against real opponents. We elected not to get a WR with that type production in the portal. Well… Harrell… but he’s coming off injury and still an unknown impact wise. So I’m going to be boring for now.

Anyway it’s a top concerns thread and this is one of mine. I HOPE George does become the AA we all thought he could be, Harrell breaks all types of yards per catch and TD records and Colbie is the next coming of Andre Johnson. But I am anxious about it.

Yeah I’m boring AF these days. But guys like Deen, Cohen, Lee, Cisco, Devante Brown, David, Ajay Allen and Roberts all showed something in real games against real opponents. We elected not to get a WR with that type production in the portal. Well… Harrell… but he’s coming off injury and still an unknown impact wise. So I’m going to be boring for now.

Anyway it’s a top concerns thread and this is one of mine. I HOPE George does become the AA we all thought he could be, Harrell breaks all types of yards per catch and TD records and Colbie is the next coming of Andre Johnson. But I am anxious about it.
Oh the “boring” part wasn’t personal. We are all kinda in the same boat

But to your point this is a much more positive camp than last years was

And last year we were all high on life during recruiting while this year we are getting beat down so the positivity is that much more noticeable

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back