My biggest questions going into Fall Camp scrimmage #1 (Q1 UPDATE)

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
2nd annual thread like this. Here was last year's version (epic disasters on questions 1 and 2): https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/my-biggest-questions-going-into-fall-camp.178845/

For 2023, I have related, but slightly different questions:

Here’s what I’ll look for during Fall camp (and the early parts of the season):

1. Will Coach Cristobal truly hand over the reigns to Coach Dawson's presumed style?
Of course, the sensical answer is "well, he brought him in, so obviously." However, we've consistently heard quotes from both Coach Cristobal and Coach Mirabal about how Dawson "has really evolved" and how much of the "run game diversity" he's included in the general spread principles. To me, that naturally indicates they want *their* brand and imprint on the offense.

Yes, I realize that goes hand in hand with the overall culture they aim to achieve. But, you know what else helps culture? Winning. You know what helps winning? Putting your offensive players in space and having your QB in a relatively comfortable position to succeed. I strongly believe in the grind and mental toughness. Those ends are often achieved artfully; not always with a hammer. I've already acknowledged the need for massive roster turnover. Coach Cristobal was given credit for that. If Coach Cristobal's strengths lie somewhere other than Xs and Os, specifically, then make your hire and let him cook. The significant and quick change from Gattis (an objective failure here in multiple ways) to Dawson is a positive move. Let's see where it goes.

2. How will we hold up physically? (same question as last year)
We went from what many consistently told me was "almost no hitting and tackling to the ground" under Manny to hyper-physical practices last season. We didn't have depth, and when injuries hit in practice and otherwise, we looked like a shell of a roster. Let me be clear: I think the best way to get good at tackling at the college level is to tackle. I strongly believe there needs to be some of it.

I also realize we need to be somewhere reasonable and manage our depth. Specifically, we have certain position groups - like DT and parts of the OL - that are top heavy. While injuries are inevitable, we cannot afford to lose too many of our top guys and expect to do much of anything. We just don't [yet?] have that kind of depth.

3. Will TVD return to his old flashes and which offensive skill position player(s) surprise(s)?
As skeptical as I was about the questionable fit of Gattis' style, I'm cautiously optimistic about a regression to at least a reasonable mean with this year's offense. The answer to this question is linked to question 1 above. It is, however, more specific to how we set up individual players for success. And, I've got specific hopes/goals for the offense:

(a) from 117th in TDs/game (1.9!) to something competent like 40th (which is estimated at 3.6 TDs/game)

(b) from 104th in Yards Per Play (4.8) to something more like 40th (which is estimated around 6 yards per play)

(c) from 77th in 3rd down conversion % (37.7%) to something more like 40th (which is estimated at 41%)

(d) from 117th in Points Per Play (.267!) to something halfway reasonable like 50th (which is estimated at .4)

(e) from 110th in RZ % (76.3%!) to something competent like 50th (which is estimated at 85%)

(f) from 114th in Points per game (19.4, left the critical one for last) to something competent like 44th (which is estimated at 30PPG)

Is it possible to be pleasantly surprised on some of the above if TVD and his skill players are played to their strengths? Sure. But, competence goes a long way. We score 30 PPG and have a reasonable uptick in our defense's ability to get off the field (opponent's 3rd down conversion %) and stop big plays (opponent's yards per play), and most of the rest tends to work itself out.

Advertisement
An optimistic look at question 1 would interpret that as wanting to take advantage of the strong O line and 43 good running backs on the roster.

If I were an OC that was used to not having that luxury and relying on the passing game, I'd have the defense too scared to stack the box and really nervous about giving up too much cushion.

2nd annual thread like this. Here was last year's version (epic disasters on questions 1 and 2): https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/my-biggest-questions-going-into-fall-camp.178845/

1. Will Coach Cristobal truly hand over the reigns to Coach Dawson's presumed style?
Of course, the sensical answer is "well, he brought him in, so obviously." However, we've consistently heard quotes from both Coach Cristobal and Coach Mirabal about how Dawson "has really evolved" and how much of the "run game diversity" he's included in the general spread principles. To me, that naturally indicates they want *their* brand and imprint on the offense.

Yes, I realize that goes hand in hand with the overall culture they aim to achieve. But, you know what else helps culture? Winning. You know what helps winning? Putting your offensive players in space and having your QB in a relatively comfortable position to succeed. I strongly believe in the grind and mental toughness. Those ends are often achieved artfully; not always with a hammer. I've already acknowledged the need for massive roster turnover. Coach Cristobal was given credit for that. If Coach Cristobal's strengths lie somewhere other than Xs and Os, specifically, then make your hire and let him cook. The significant and quick change from Gattis (an objective failure here in multiple ways) to Dawson is a positive move. Let's see where it goes.

We went from what many consistently told me was "almost no hitting and tackling to the ground" under Manny to hyper-physical practices last season. We didn't have depth, and when injuries hit in practice and otherwise, we looked like a shell of a roster. Let me be clear: I think the best way to get good at tackling at the college level is to tackle. I strongly believe there needs to be some of it.

I also realize we need to be somewhere reasonable and manage our depth. Specifically, we have certain position groups - like DT and parts of the OL - that are top heavy. While injuries are inevitable, we cannot afford to lose too many of our top guys and expect to do much of anything. We just don't [yet?] have that kind of depth.

3. Will TVD return to his old flashes and which offensive skill position player(s) surprise(s)?
As skeptical as I was about the questionable fit of Gattis' style, I'm cautiously optimistic about a regression to at least a reasonable mean with this year's offense. The answer to this question is linked to question 1 above. It is, however, more specific to how we set up individual players for success. And, I've got specific hopes/goals for the offense:

(a) from 117th in TDs/game (1.9!) to something competent like 40th (which is estimated at 3.6 TDs/game)

(b) from 104th in Yards Per Play (4.8) to something more like 40th (which is estimated around 6 yards per play)

(c) from 77th in 3rd down conversion % (37.7%) to something more like 40th (which is estimated at 41%)

(d) from 117th in Points Per Play (.267!) to something halfway reasonable like 50th (which is estimated at .4)

(e) from 110th in RZ % (76.3%!) to something competent like 50th (which is estimated at 85%)

(f) from 114th in Points per game (19.4, left the critical one for last) to something competent like 44th (which is estimated at 30PPG)

Is it possible to be pleasantly surprised on some of the above if TVD and his skill players are played to their strengths? Sure. But, competence goes a long way. We score 30 PPG and have a reasonable uptick in our defense's ability to get off the field (opponent's 3rd down conversion %) and stop big plays (opponent's yards per play), and most of the rest tends to work itself out.
Those are some excellent points and thanks for the reminder of how bad this team was last year. It will help simmer expectations.

Any guess on what % of last year's failures are attributable to injuries?

An optimistic look at question 1 would interpret that as wanting to take advantage of the strong O line and 43 good running backs on the roster.

If I were an OC that was used to not having that luxury and relying on the passing game, I'd have the defense too scared to stack the box and really nervous about giving up too much cushion.
Run the ball as efficiently and effectively as you want. On question 1, what I look for is space on the field. More vertical routes. More horizontal stretch.

While Gattis tried (a little too late) to push the WRs more toward the sideline, we too often saw a cluster**** of routes packed into tight spaces. The condensed approach and insistence on timing played to the opposite of the little strengths - TVD looked like he was playing blindfolded sometimes - we may have possibly even had. What I ask for is space on the cot**** football field for a QB whose biggest strength is throwing the ball downfield and to the opposite hash.

Exactly as you said, within that, you want to smash light boxes in the mouth with Cohen/Lee/Cooper? Rock and roll.

Advertisement
you agree there needs to be "some tackling in practice?" LOL...im **** glad you didnt have JJ, Schnelly or Butch's ear!

you know what makes a QB even more comfortable and in a position to succeed? its having a successful running game.
I think you have me confused. I've been one of the biggest advocates for tackling to the ground in practice. You new here? Want me to link dozens of posts through the Manny years and prior to last season? Did you click the link from last year's post? Did you see the sentence that preceded the one you picked? Here it is: "Let me be clear: I think the best way to get good at tackling at the college level is to tackle."

My statement about finding a middle ground and adding a "some" in the tackling wish is because of our roster. While we're still thin as ****, perhaps consider how risky we want to go with certain players and situations. I've actually spent the last year getting @'d on here because people were blaming the injury situation on increased physicality in practice.

My suggestion was a reasonable approach that emphasizes tackling in practice while considering our depth. From what I'm told, that's exactly what we're doing.

You know what makes for a successful running game? The right numbers inside the box. Want to keep going?

Miami scores 30ppg against our legitimate opponents and 10 Ws is at least in the conversation...

Advertisement

Those offensive numbers from last year are abysmal.
I don’t know that we will be as good on offense as 2 seasons ago, but if this Oline is healthy, I think we can be close. We have a more experienced QB, a better Oline, better RB’s and I would argue pretty similar TE’s. If Young can be a true #1 WR, then there is no reason we can’t be close to what we were on offense 2 seasons Ago. No logical reason.

Those offensive numbers from last year are abysmal.
I don’t know that we will be as good on offense as 2 seasons ago, but if this Oline is healthy, I think we can be close. We have a more experienced QB, a better Oline, better RB’s and I would argue pretty similar TE’s. If Young can be a true #1 WR, then there is no reason we can’t be close to what we were on offense 2 seasons Ago. No logical reason.

What's funny (sad?) if we weren't even good on offense in 2021, and yet I'm with you 100%. If we can just be to 2021 levels on offense, we should be a decent team with the schedule and defense.

But we were 38th in the country in scoring offense in 2021, which obviously isn't bad. And scoring points is the name of the game, of course. But we weren't even especially good in any other metrics, and yet last year was so genuinely awful, I'd take 2021's offense this year in a heartbeat.

I'll bet we're not going to pair it with the 92nd ranked scoring defense in the country like we did in 2021.

I think you have me confused. I've been one of the biggest advocates for tackling to the ground in practice. You new here? Want me to link dozens of posts through the Manny years and prior to last season? Did you click the link from last year's post? Did you see the sentence that preceded the one you picked? Here it is: "Let me be clear: I think the best way to get good at tackling at the college level is to tackle."

My statement about finding a middle ground and adding a "some" in the tackling wish is because of our roster. While we're still thin as ****, perhaps consider how risky we want to go with certain players and situations. I've actually spent the last year getting @'d on here because people were blaming the injury situation on increased physicality in practice.

My suggestion was a reasonable approach that emphasizes tackling in practice while considering our depth. From what I'm told, that's exactly what we're doing.

You know what makes for a successful running game? The right numbers inside the box. Want to keep going?
I think this is the most 'animated' I have ever seen Lu!

Those are some excellent points and thanks for the reminder of how bad this team was last year. It will help simmer expectations.

Any guess on what % of last year's failures are attributable to injuries?
That's a good question to speculate on. Without taking any **** off of Gattis' head, a good 50% at least could be contributed to injuries.

Advertisement

no ive not subscribed to follow anyone's posts so i have no idea what you personally posted on here or what your view is on tackling other than what i just read.
Glad to now read you're an advocate for tackling cause they way i read it or misread it, you were only okay with "some tackling" during football practices out of fear of injuries. i dont personally subscribe to that prospective and believe it sends the wrong message to the young players. When Miami was at the apex of college football they always had that next man up approach and that is what Mario is trying to reinstall back into this program and we arent going to get that back by playing flag football on greentree and worrying about injuries. in my experience when you worry about injuries thats when they occur

Last edited:
no ive not subscribed to follow anyone's posts so i have no idea what you personally posted on here or what your view is on tackling other than what i just read.
Glad to now read you're an advocate for tackling cause they way i read it or misread it, you were only okay with "some tackling" during football practices out of fear of injuries. i dont personally subscribe to that prospective and believe it sends the wrong message to the young players. When Miami was at the apex of college football they always had that next man up approach and that is what Mario is trying to reinstall back into this program and we arent going to get that back by playing flag football on greentree and worrying about injuries.

You're preaching to the choir on the bolded part. We need to tackle and simulate games, as I've stated in the past. I was up in arms when many would complain about how we tackled under Diaz, but would ignore that I was mentioning we weren't tackling to the ground or enough in practice.

Unfortunately, "when Miami was at the apex of college football," the "next man up" was competent. We're currently not there. So, as I've been told is already happening, we're going to emphasize physical practices while still protecting certain players and situations. Wrecking a vulnerable roster isn't going to get us back, either.

Advertisement
You're preaching to the choir on the bolded part. We need to tackle and simulate games, as I've stated in the past. I was up in arms when many would complain about how we tackled under Diaz, but would ignore that I was mentioning we weren't tackling to the ground or enough in practice.

Unfortunately, "when Miami was at the apex of college football," the "next man up" was competent. We're currently not there. So, as I've been told is already happening, we're going to emphasize physical practices while still protecting certain players and situations. Wrecking a vulnerable roster isn't going to get us back, either.

There needs to be balance. We can’t ignore depth in favor of tough and physical, get injured and then blame the 5-7 record on depth and injuries…

Head hunted the wrong one bro

Advertisement
Back