Muschamp

...and Strong is going with Meyer.
Because Charlie is a helluva DC. Truth is, some on here will find fault with ANYONE we'd be interested with as our DC, but Strong would've mopped the floor with the ACC and helped us get to the playoffs. Meyer might be a reptile, but he is a very smart and successful coach.

Advertisement
Because Charlie is a helluva DC. Truth is, some on here will find fault with ANYONE we'd be interested with as our DC, but Strong would've mopped the floor with the ACC and helped us get to the playoffs. Meyer might be a reptile, but he is a very smart and successful coach.

Strong and Meyer have a relationship already so I can see why he would go to NFL with him.

Do you think Manny wanted Charlie Strong? It makes absolutely no sense to wait as long as they did to announce a simple reshuffling of the deck. Manny is all about a splash. Strong was with Bama and couldn't do anything until after CFP, then Urban gets hired to Jax, people assumed Muschamp was going to join him and that was our DC he wanted, later same day Manny announces these changes and now it looks like Muschamp to UGA and Strong is going with Meyer.
I think it’s looking like it was really Strong that he wanted. I make no mistake about it. He could’ve hired other DC’s but he was obviously set on one or two specific ones. I think it was a mistake not bringing in a new DC but in either event I think keeping Baker and not bringing in a different LB coach is possibly worse on principle.

Agreed. I don't think his position has been officially announced but I think the rumor was assistant head coach and a position coach on defense. That is quite a jump for a guy with no NFL coaching or playing experience in strong who was fired from USF and spent one year as an analyst for Bama....

I think it’s looking like it was really Strong that he wanted. I make no mistake about it. He could’ve hired other DC’s but he was obviously set on one or two specific ones. I think it was a mistake not bringing in a new DC but in either event I think keeping Baker and not bringing in a different LB coach is possibly worse on principle.
Agree about Baker part of it. And, if Manny was targeting Strong, that actually elevates him (DIaz) a little in my estimation. Would've loved to see the D Charlie would've built in 2-3 years if he'd come here.

Advertisement
He needs tweaks to his scheme. I hope he can get that from Simpson and TRob.
Totally agree with that. What I believe he would've instilled is toughness, fundamentals, and would've cleaned up in recruiting. At UM, you can rule CFB, or at least the ACC, with a DC like that.

Advertisement
I said way back several weeks ago that we were probably waiting on Charlie Strong. Looks like I was right again - as usual.

And that's not any insider information, it just seemed obvious to me.

If I had to speculate, I think they throw a bunch of money at Charlie Strong. I believe some of our BOT think really highly of him since he whipped us at Louisville that one bowl game a few years ago.

If they were keeping Blake, Manny would have said so IMO. As a manager, you throw your support behind your soldiers...you don’t let rumors like this linger.

The fact that he is letting it linger tells me one of two things...either manny is a ****** manager, or he’s trying to move on to hire someone else

Last edited:
Do you think Manny wanted Charlie Strong? It makes absolutely no sense to wait as long as they did to announce a simple reshuffling of the deck. Manny is all about a splash. Strong was with Bama and couldn't do anything until after CFP, then Urban gets hired to Jax, people assumed Muschamp was going to join him and that was our DC he wanted, later same day Manny announces these changes and now it looks like Muschamp to UGA and Strong is going with Meyer.

Why did Strong have to wait until after the CFP? Sark didnt

Advertisement
Why did Strong have to wait until after the CFP? Sark didnt

My first post had too much speculation in it even for me so this is just added speculation in an attempt to answer your question.
Texas shelled out a lot of money for sark. It’s a good D1 gig, prob the most sought after HC NCAA job this offseason, unless he wanted NFL, this was it. At the time Meyer was still in limbo, who knows what offers strong had, probably made better financial sense for him to wait and see what shakes out as he wasn’t going to be a HC. Benefited sark to get an early jump and assemble a staff.

Advertisement
TRob can fix the CB play assuming he can play more man to man. Simpson was the best of the last 3 in my opinion on the DL bc of the run stopping. The problem will still be at LB.

We’re assuming this about TRob. Fact is, we’ve never seen TRob w/o Muschamp, and we continue to see TRob in the UF light. Truth be told, TRob has been hella unimpressive since 2015, and completely nuclear the last 2 yrs. So we’re banking on him getting back to that UF period from like ‘11-14.

We’re assuming this about TRob. Fact is, we’ve never seen TRob w/o Muschamp, and we continue to see TRob in the UF light. Truth be told, TRob has been hella unimpressive since 2015, and completely nuclear the last 2 yrs. So we’re banking on him getting back to that UF period from like ‘11-14.
I’m not assuming anything. To start, I’m hoping that Manny is assuming that bc what he’s been doing isn’t working. Then, his assumption better be right. He should have hired a DC. He didn’t so I can only hope this works. If not, he’ll be gone in a year.

Advertisement
Back