Mullen too brash for Miami

People are worrying that Mullen is like Golden. I understand that sentiment. I believe if you are a coach with no pedigree, then you need to win at your program for you to be considered.

For example, if Mike Gundy was winning 8 games a year, 9 in his best season, then he'd be Mike Riley. Aka someone with a lesser pedigree not getting it done. But Gundy is getting it done.

On the other hand if you have a guy with a great pedigree who is getting lambasted at his new big gig despite huge advantages, like Corch Strong, you are also not a guy I want.

If you are a guy at a nothing program who is holding his own, competing, and doing things that have never been done before, you should be commended. But that's when it helps to research a guys pedigree. That's how you can separate the Jimmy Johnson's from the Al Goldens. Al Golden has one of the worst pedigrees any of coaches have ever had, if not the worst. Thus, he should not have been trusted.

Mullen on the other hand was Tom Herman before Tom Herman was Tom Herman. And for longer. He just happened to take his first HC gig in the SEC west during a time of Nick Saban.

Advertisement
Mullen is just tired of going into the SEC West with players that couldn't sniff Bama or LSU offers and fighting with one hand tied behind his back. He has the same chip on his shoulder that Jimmy had after leaving Oklahoma State. He just wants a chance to compete on an even playing field, talent-wise. He's probably got so many years of frustration built up he can't contain his *******-ness when talking to our incompetent, ***** *** administration. He probably can't believe someone so under qualified has the audacity to question his football knowledge. Goddammit get this ornery son of a bytch here and let him run wild with SoFla savages!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^These last 2 posts are spot on.

Not even close. Mullen's best finish in the SEC West is 2nd, last year.

Every other year he has finished 4th or 5th.

Even Mullen's "historic" run last year, he played 4 teams that ended the year ranked. He lost to three of them, including arch rival Ole Miss, and Ga Tech in the bowl game. What's the explanation for that failure down the stretch?

And Mullen has had a good amount of NFL talent the last three years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To piggyback on this: when mullen left Florida to take the miss st. job, their offense and play calling took a huge step back and it ultimately cost them another national championship (lost to bama). Not sure if urban ever recovered from losing him as they turned into an absolute train wreck overnight from that point on.

People are worrying that Mullen is like Golden. I understand that sentiment. I believe if you are a coach with no pedigree, then you need to win at your program for you to be considered.

For example, if Mike Gundy was winning 8 games a year, 9 in his best season, then he'd be Mike Riley. Aka someone with a lesser pedigree not getting it done. But Gundy is getting it done.

On the other hand if you have a guy with a great pedigree who is getting lambasted at his new big gig despite huge advantages, like Corch Strong, you are also not a guy I want.

If you are a guy at a nothing program who is holding his own, competing, and doing things that have never been done before, you should be commended. But that's when it helps to research a guys pedigree. That's how you can separate the Jimmy Johnson's from the Al Goldens. Al Golden has one of the worst pedigrees any of coaches have ever had, if not the worst. Thus, he should not have been trusted.

Mullen on the other hand was Tom Herman before Tom Herman was Tom Herman. And for longer. He just happened to take his first HC gig in the SEC west during a time of Nick Saban.

Sherrill did the same, if not better, than Mullen at MSU:

Sherrill WON the SEC West in 1998, came in 2nd in the West twice, and third three times.

Mullen has never won the West. His best finish is 2nd; otherwise, he's finished 4th or 5th.

Sherrill-led MSU teams' best end-of-year rankings were: 12 (1999), 22 (2000), 23 (1992), 24 (1994).

Mullen-led MSU teams have ended the year ranked twice: 11 (2014) (including finishing the season with three losses in the last four games, including GA Tech, and only beating one end-of-year ranked team); 15 (2010)

OP, I think that quote was talking about his interview from 2010. Here is the entire context it was in....

Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen — the former UF offensive coordinator who coached Tim Tebow and has been lauded for resurrecting the Bulldogs’ program with a 54-35 record in seven seasons — also has interviewed for the job, sources said, as he did before Golden was hired.

One source said that at least one person heavily involved in the search described Mullen as a bit “brash,” and that it rubbed that person the wrong way

Seems like, in the bolded part, they're talking about the 2010 search.

That's exactly what I thought...it seemed way too similar to the way we heard it worded back then. I can't imagine that, knowing his personality after the interview 5 years ago, someone would actually think he would interview differently now.

I think this is a recycled statement from the previous go-round.

If he rubs the wrong way the bunch of A-hole$ running this thing at UM that's a big possitive in my book!!

Advertisement
Brash Mullen has beaten a total of THREE teams that finished the year ranked from 2009-2014:

2009 - #20 Ole Miss
2013 - #14 LSU
2014 - #22 Auburn

That's it. I'm not saying he's bad, but calling him better than Butch is ludicrous.

After bringing us back from debilitating sanctions, Butch's only loss in 2000 was the first game of the year to the Washington Huskies, which finished the season ranked #3 .

Last edited:
Mullen is too brash, but Miami is getting cuckold'd by Richt right now for ******* Virginia.

At least Mullen has shown TWICE that he actually wants the job. Richt is stringing us along for god**** mother****ing Virginia. Offer Mullen now and watch him unleash 7 years of frustration. Goddammit I can't take this!

Sherrill WON the SEC West in 1998, came in 2nd in the West twice, and third three times.

Mullen has never won the West. His best finish is 2nd; otherwise, he's finished 4th or 5th.

Sherrill-led MSU teams' best end-of-year rankings were: 12 (1999), 22 (2000), 23 (1992), 24 (1994).

Mullen-led MSU teams have ended the year ranked twice: 11 (2014) (including finishing the season with three losses in the last four games, including GA Tech, and only beating one end-of-year ranked team); 15 (2010)

be fair alabama lsu and auburn weren't the programs they are today back then, miss st is not competing from the same pool of recruits with those teams

sherrill didn't have saban at alabama or miles at lsu to compete with. the sec west was absolute garbage back then.

Advertisement
Mullen is too brash, but Miami is getting cuckold'd by Richt right now for ****ing Virginia.

At least Mullen has shown TWICE that he actually wants the job. Richt is stringing us along for god**** mother****ing Virginia. Offer Mullen now and watch him unleash 7 years of frustration. Goddammit I can't take this!

LOL at 5th place Mullen even SOUTH CAROLINA is passing on him for another failed coach

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back