Most Underrated Canes IYO.

Advertisement
Darrell Fullington / Kenny McMillan (first Black QB in UM History)

I am pretty sure Kary Baker was our 1st black QB, also Frank Glover and E.J. Baker played QB before Kenny McMillian.
Well then educate me then **** it.... I thought Kenny was...he was our local hero...thats when i start following UM

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I went back and checked and Kery played from 73-76, Glover from 74-77 and Ej Baker started at QB but finished at WR. Kenny played in77-78.Man I am getting old!

I wouldn't call these fellows overlooked - just from earlier eras....

Hard to be overlooked when you're a perennial NFL all-pro like some of them were....and some of them were all-americans here, too...

And Williams was the #1 DT in the country out of Carol City....

Willie Smith. Look him up.

Pete Banaszak

Chuck Foreman

Dennis Harrah

Lester Williams

Burgess Owens

If you go back to the 30's-50's you have even more with Jim Dooley, Don Bosseler, Al Carapella, and a bunch more. The heyday teams with Ottis Anderson, Bubba Franks, Brett Perriman, and Eddie Brown don't nearly get their dues because so many great and usually better players have played their own positions. There's a ton of underrated guys but with our history some guys are going to get overlooked.

I wouldn't call these fellows overlooked - just from earlier eras....

Hard to be overlooked when you're a perennial NFL all-pro like some of them were....and some of them were all-americans here, too...

And Williams was the #1 DT in the country out of Carol City....

Willie Smith. Look him up.

Pete Banaszak

Chuck Foreman

Dennis Harrah

Lester Williams

Burgess Owens

If you go back to the 30's-50's you have even more with Jim Dooley, Don Bosseler, Al Carapella, and a bunch more. The heyday teams with Ottis Anderson, Bubba Franks, Brett Perriman, and Eddie Brown don't nearly get their dues because so many great and usually better players have played their own positions. There's a ton of underrated guys but with our history some guys are going to get overlooked.

When people think of our RB's, Banaszak and Foreman get brought up after Mike James and Javarris James and I know that's a prisoner of the moment but still.

Harrah probably should be in the Pro Hall of Fame and the everyday Miami fan in the street doesn't know he exists.

Burgess Owens, from what I've read, might've been the best cover corner the school has ever had and people will name Demarcus Van Dyke before him.

Lester Williams might be a stretch but again the current fan doesn't know who he is.

The older guys are big examples of just time causing some great players to be forgotten.

When I think underrated, I judge it by how the fanbase looks at you. Nobody would say that Banaszak is better than Portis, Gore, or McGahee but the fact that the overwhelming majority of fans haven't heard of him shows that he is underrated.

If I took 100 Miami fans, how many of them would know who Lester Williams is? Anything under 85 is a travesty.

Albert Bentley is the oft forgotten man in about every running back discussion there ever was. Not to mention how historical his last touchdown was for us as well.

Advertisement
Darrell Fullington / Kenny McMillan (first Black QB in UM History)

I am pretty sure Kary Baker was our 1st black QB, also Frank Glover and E.J. Baker played QB before Kenny McMillian.
Well then educate me then **** it.... I thought Kenny was...he was our local hero...thats when i start following UM

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I went back and checked and Kery played from 73-76, Glover from 74-77 and Ej Baker started at QB but finished at WR. Kenny played in77-78.Man I am getting old!
All four of them were awful. McMillan ended up at Bethune-Cookman. He was bad there too.

Graig cooper, he was **** good, hate that he had that terrible injury in the bowl game

Advertisement
Frank Gore. Pre-injury, I thought he was on track to be the best runningback we've ever had at the U. Better than Edge, better than Portis.

Even after two ACL injuries, he's had a sterling career in the NFL. I think what he might've been had he got to the NFL uninjured and stayed healthy.

Chris Campbell fits the category pretty well. Real solid player that was easy to overlook when you had guys like Morgan, DJ Williams and Vilma that were playing along side of him.

Advertisement
When I was a kid I remember thinking Fitzgerald, Leonard Myers and Al Blades were badasses. (Pretty sure Rumph and Reed were on those teams too, but that goes without saying.) What was the sentiment about those guys from people who actually knew football at the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Campbell for sure. I think he started as a true freshman (I could be wrong) but he was so steady that he didn't get the credit he deserved.
Richard Mercier was great here but I don't think get mentioned enough.
Martin Bibla also doent get enough credit for how good he was here.

Advertisement
Frank Gore. Pre-injury, I thought he was on track to be the best runningback we've ever had at the U. Better than Edge, better than Portis.

Even after two ACL injuries, he's had a sterling career in the NFL. I think what he might've been had he got to the NFL uninjured and stayed healthy.

Frank Gore is overlooked? Where?

Harrah certainly should be in the HOF! Great lineman who helped pave the way for one of the greatest running backs in NFL history. As a Rams fan, he was one of my favorites.

Advertisement
Back