Most Underrated Canes IYO.

Just thinking on a few players that I think put together some really nice careers in their time here

Hankerson- The fact that he holds the TD record speaks for itself, was inconsistent for his early career and really put it all together is senior year. I still remember watching him ball in the state championship.

Pat Hill- He is the reason I now pay attention to fullbacks. This toad body sum***** used to **** **** up in the hole.

Darnell Jenkins - Already mentioned

Travis Benjamin- Dam I miss that kind of speed, stepped in from day one out of a "loaded" we class and made a difference.

Great list!!! I loved Pat Hill man. Darnell Jenkins was a beast. Travis Benjamin was special.

I gotta add Adawale Ojomo and Marcus Robinson.

Advertisement
Edgar Benes. Probably the best ****** kicker we ever had. If not him, the Scott Covington. Good QB who would have looked a lot better on a better team. Daryl Spencer. Overlooked because the other WRs with him. Twan Russell. Good LB, overlooked because he played with Ray Lewis, Rohan Marley and other good LBs.

How many ****** kickers have we had, besides maybe Steve Kazdin?

probably none

Advertisement
Marquise Fitzgerald was a nice nickle CB, another guy not mentioned yet is Kevin Beard. Dude was a very solid WR here.

Advertisement
A few of my favorite overlooked Canes
NT- Jim Burt
RB- Keith Griffin
LB- Rohan Marley
RB-Stephen Maguire
OT-Joaquin Gonzalez

Yatil green

My God!!! Good Call!! Crying shame he completely blew up his, I believe, right leg?? I think his quad, ACL, PCL, and MCL tore and he never recovered. Probably the reason y the Dolphins refused to draft U players again, b/c that one hurt them. I think Green would've been a star in the NFL had he stayed healthy.

Advertisement
My bad, you're right. Only reason I brought him up is nobody really mentions him much. Perhaps it's because he played so long ago.

I wouldn't call these fellows overlooked - just from earlier eras....

Hard to be overlooked when you're a perennial NFL all-pro like some of them were....and some of them were all-americans here, too...

And Williams was the #1 DT in the country out of Carol City....

Willie Smith. Look him up.

Pete Banaszak

Chuck Foreman

Dennis Harrah

Lester Williams

Burgess Owens

If you go back to the 30's-50's you have even more with Jim Dooley, Don Bosseler, Al Carapella, and a bunch more. The heyday teams with Ottis Anderson, Bubba Franks, Brett Perriman, and Eddie Brown don't nearly get their dues because so many great and usually better players have played their own positions. There's a ton of underrated guys but with our history some guys are going to get overlooked.

When people think of our RB's, Banaszak and Foreman get brought up after Mike James and Javarris James and I know that's a prisoner of the moment but still.

Harrah probably should be in the Pro Hall of Fame and the everyday Miami fan in the street doesn't know he exists.

Burgess Owens, from what I've read, might've been the best cover corner the school has ever had and people will name Demarcus Van Dyke before him.

Lester Williams might be a stretch but again the current fan doesn't know who he is.

The older guys are big examples of just time causing some great players to be forgotten.

When I think underrated, I judge it by how the fanbase looks at you. Nobody would say that Banaszak is better than Portis, Gore, or McGahee but the fact that the overwhelming majority of fans haven't heard of him shows that he is underrated.

If I took 100 Miami fans, how many of them would know who Lester Williams is? Anything under 85 is a travesty.

Anyone who sat in the OB before Jim Kelly should not be surprised the old players are not known - nobody was ever there. Still a lot of our old guys had excellent pro careers but younger fans do not remember.

Hard to be overlooked when you're a perennial NFL all-pro like some of them were....and some of them were all-americans here, too...

Pete Banaszak

Chuck Foreman

Dennis Harrah

Lester Williams

Burgess Owens

If you go back to the 30's-50's you have even more with Jim Dooley, Don Bosseler, Al Carapella, and a bunch more. The heyday teams with Ottis Anderson, Bubba Franks, Brett Perriman, and Eddie Brown don't nearly get their dues because so many great and usually better players have played their own positions. There's a ton of underrated guys but with our history some guys are going to get overlooked.

When people think of our RB's, Banaszak and Foreman get brought up after Mike James and Javarris James and I know that's a prisoner of the moment but still.

Harrah probably should be in the Pro Hall of Fame and the everyday Miami fan in the street doesn't know he exists.

Burgess Owens, from what I've read, might've been the best cover corner the school has ever had and people will name Demarcus Van Dyke before him.

Lester Williams might be a stretch but again the current fan doesn't know who he is.

The older guys are big examples of just time causing some great players to be forgotten.

When I think underrated, I judge it by how the fanbase looks at you. Nobody would say that Banaszak is better than Portis, Gore, or McGahee but the fact that the overwhelming majority of fans haven't heard of him shows that he is underrated.

If I took 100 Miami fans, how many of them would know who Lester Williams is? Anything under 85 is a travesty.

Anyone who sat in the OB before Jim Kelly should not be surprised the old players are not known - nobody was ever there. Still a lot of our old guys had excellent pro careers but younger fans do not remember.

And that's a real shame.

Advertisement
Bubba McDowell. ..

Gotta show family some love!
Played under JJ

Yessir! I grew up in Merrit Island, playing against his brother Shawn.

We live a few years on Coca Beach while our two youngest were in HS. I noticed kids aging but saw no evidence of any "growing up" there or on Merrit. Heck, I saw people my age who were still locked in hippie or surfer mod from 60's and 70's

Pete Banaszak

Chuck Foreman

Dennis Harrah

Lester Williams

Burgess Owens

And that's a real shame.

Some guys who weren't all world like Jerome Brown, Cortez Kennedy, Warren Sapp, Edge, Portis, etc., but were pretty good players in the late '60s and early '70s were:
Bob Tatarek: undersized DT - 6 years with Buffalo
Tony Cline: DE - 10 years with the 49ers and Raiders
Dennis Harrah: - OL - great with the Rams
Joe Mirto: OL - tore up his knee on a tackle eligible play and didn't last long with the Dolphins
Rubin Carter: nose tackle - great with Denver
Tom "Silky" Sullivan and Woody Thompson: A couple RBs on some bad UM teams that played in the NFL after some modest careers at UM

A guy that had a pretty good career with the Bengals would be Eddie Edwards. I never saw him at UM. Hopefully someone can give their take on his UM career

Guys whose contributions to past Canes teams get overlooked IMO

Bubba Franks, Damione Lewis, Chris T Jones, Tremain Mack, Otis Anderson, James Jackson, Nick Williams, Darryl Williams, Rocky McIntosh

Warren Williams would have to be my #1 . He was a REALLY good RB. He's 12th on the all-time Canes rushing list, but because he played behind Highsmith & Bratton, he almost never gets mentioned.

Advertisement
Back