Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Obviously lots of greats in the "championship" years, but let's not forget our first 2 Pro FB HOF'ers in the Mad Stork Ted Hendricks and Jim Otto. Also, Chuck Foreman and Otis Anderson were a couple of pretty **** good RB's.
Ted Hendricks only seems to be only under rated by UM fans. Just look at all those polls on here about UM's greatest edge rusher and he not even mentioned.

Ask most outside the program particularly those that played against him (e.g., Spurrier ) he's the first one mentioned. They even gave him his own reward.

Advertisement
He was an almost guy. Played on bad teams and didn’t really leave a mark in college then injuries cut short his pro career. Don’t think he’s under appreciated so much as he didn’t quite do what we al think he could have done, mostly bad luck.
Another LB I felt was overlooked was Rocky Macintosh. He just played on a LB line up that included DJ Williams and Jon Vilma.

Advertisement
Ted Hendricks only seems to be only under rated by UM fans. Just look at all those polls on here about UM's greatest edge rusher and he not even mentioned.

Ask most outside the program particularly those that played against him (e.g., Spurrier ) he's the first one mentioned. They even gave him his own reward.

Yeah, Ted (who I’ve only had the opportunity to watch his highlights & hear intimate stories of from old heads) imo, he gets overlooked b/c of that era. The U wasn’t The U as we know it today. I would assume if he played for any of the teams from the 80’s - 90’s, his appreciation level would be off the richter.

Jay Brophy has to be on this list...All we hear at LBer at UM is Morgan...Ray Lewis...Barrow etc...(and rightfully so) But....Brophy could thump with the Best of them...was UMs ONLY 1st team AA on the 83 NC team....Absolute Stud...and had a fine NFL career...
Due to the age of most posters. Jay was the anchor of that 83 defense. Same goes for Lester Williams and Fred Marion who played on perhaps as good as any defense in Miami history in 81. Jim Burt starts on any Miami at tackle. All these guys were All-Americans.

And 3-time All-American. He remains the most acclaimed player we've ever had. And his NFL accolades are just as impressive.

Advertisement
When I think under rated or under valued a few guys come to mind.

Guys like Hendricks, Stubbs, Andre Johnson are all time greats. Portis I think held the freshman rushing record until maybe Duke broke it.

When I think outstanding players who aren’t considered in the the upper tier, maybe in the next tier and under values by some are:

Nate Webster- that dude was a dog at LB. he was a true old school Cane. He had an edge.

Rocky McIntosh- Physically gifted very athletic LB.

Brandon Merriweather-rangy safety who liked to hit. When he left Miami he had recorded the most tackles ever by a Miami DB.

When I think under rated or under valued a few guys come to mind.

Guys like Hendricks, Stubbs, Andre Johnson are all time greats. Portis I think held the freshman rushing record until maybe Duke broke it.

When I think outstanding players who aren’t considered in the the upper tier, maybe in the next tier and under values by some are:

Nate Webster- that dude was a dog at LB. he was a true old school Cane. He had an edge.

Rocky McIntosh- Physically gifted very athletic LB.

Brandon Merriweather-rangy safety who liked to hit. When he left Miami he had recorded the most tackles ever by a Miami DB.

B Merriweather; man, U’re absolutely correct!

Advertisement
Due to the age of most posters. Jay was the anchor of that 83 defense. Same goes for Lester Williams and Fred Marion who played on perhaps as good as any defense in Miami history in 81. Jim Burt starts on any Miami at tackle. All these guys were All-Americans.
(Burt doesn’t start ver Tex or Maryland.)

Marion rarely gets mentioned. He was really good.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back