Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good name to raise but just for background, he was 3rd team AA (AP), second team on UPI. Mira Jr. also made 3rd team AA IIRC.
FN (Football News, which was HUGE back then, had him 1st team) was UMs MVP in 82....and without him we easily lose to Nebraska....Ghosts of the Orange Bowl has a story where he was a 1st team AA....Best LBer on those UM teams....only him and Glenn Dennison were AAs on the 83 team....

Ok. I got another one, James Jackson (21). He started at RB of the 2000 squad. He’s never really talked about around here, but he was a workhorse. Great athlete, as he was a 1st Rd draft pick in baseball (outta High School) IIRC, but chose football instead. We somehow forget about him and always show more love to the great backs that came after him. But he’s one of the best “all around” RBs to come through CG. 3rd round pick in 2001.

Ok. I got another one, James Jackson (21). He started at RB of the 2000 squad. He’s never really talked about around here, but he was a workhorse. Great athlete, as he was a 1st Rd draft pick in baseball (outta High School) IIRC, but chose football instead. We always show more love to the guys that came after him.
I'm still ****ed till this day, that he was shorted (by atleast half a yd) on the run that would have effectively Won the Penn St game in 99....I never saw Butch that mad...he had to be restrained by the coachs....

Advertisement
Ok. I got another one, James Jackson (21). He started at RB of the 2000 squad. He’s never really talked about around here, but he was a workhorse. Great athlete, as he was a 1st Rd draft pick in baseball (outta High School) IIRC, but chose football instead. We somehow forget about him and always show more love to the great backs that came after him. But he’s one of the best “all around” RBs to come through CG. 3rd round pick in 2001.
He may not be talked about around here, but his brother is a CIS legend!

Ken Dorsey.
Stay with me. Everytime he’s mentioned the rubes revert to how he was “surrounded by so much talent”.
Implication is that he was some kind of game manager. A Larry Coker if u will.
Of course, he had amazing guys around him but he was a great college QB. It simply doesn’t happen without him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I always thought Kenny Phillips was underrated here. Subjective. Being a massive recruit and all I get the expectations but also think he suffered a bit with us being so spoiled at the position with two of the greatest to ever play it

CMac was another one

Looking at these classic games of THE REAL U, had me thinking who don’t we give enough credit to while being an absolute star donning the Orange & Green.

Imo, imma have to go Clinton P. We always seem to talk about McGahee, Gore, Duke, but I don’t think we truly give Portis his just due. Dude was a str8 beast, and was a bell-cow at slight frame. If he stayed in Denver, brody might have put up 12k+ as a NFL back, too.

But what say u ladies & gents; who do u feel was an under appreciated “star” while here? Again, not role players, but star.
Rell, I am 1,000% a Portis guy. Great call. This is a really tough question. Kevin Beard was not a star per say but maybe under appreciated a little. But he was not a star which makes this a tough question.

My natural response due to the current affairs would be Vilma. People loved him, he was an absolute STAR but after a while it was just, well that’s what Jon Vilma does. The guy was an absolute machine in every sense and he was so consistent he may have been taken for granted just a bit.

Advertisement
Back