Most Hated Dynasty Josh Pate

Advertisement
All this tells me is that many of the people answering the poll weren't alive in the mid-80s through mid-90s and that immediacy bias is real.
A lot of people under 35 only remember Miami from a few of the 30 for 30 shows which certainly romanticized the Hurricanes from that era, they were nationally hated (yes, hated) by a strong majority not just for their massive success in tournaments, Nouveau riche status, but also for their real and perceived culture at the time (which was sometimes exaggerated and sometimes not, and was certainly used to often reflect negatively on the entire team).
Some of it was likely unfair, and some of it was totally justified (Remember the combat fatigues prior to playing Penn State) -- Good Vs. Evil, Catholics Vs. Convicts, Traditional Bama/ND/Texas/Penn State Vs Loud/Obnoxious Miami were all very real storylines. There wasn't much of the grudging respect that Alabama/Saban often gets today.

Last edited:
All this tells me is that many of the people answering the poll weren't alive in the mid-80s through mid-90s and that immediacy bias is real.
A lot of people under 35 only remember Miami from a few of the 30 for 30 shows which certainly romanticized the Hurricanes from that era, they were nationally hated (yes, hated) by a strong majority not just for their massive success, Nouveau riche status, but also for their real and perceived culture at the time (which was sometimes exaggerated and sometimes not, and was certainly used to often reflect negatively on the entire team).
Some of it was likely unfair, and some of it was totally justified (Remember the combat fatigues prior to playing Penn State) -- Good Vs. Evil, Catholics Vs. Convicts, Traditional Bama/ND/Texas/Penn State Vs Loud/Obnoxious Miami were all very real storylines. There wasn't much of the grudging respect that Alabama/Saban often gets today.
F Bama......Next...

Advertisement
He makes great points. They legit hated everything about us.

But at the same time, ppl are tired of Alabama souch ppl are legit rooting for us to be great again.

The hatred was for different reasons why.

You just said it.

People are "tired" of Bama.

But they all just straight hated us with venom.

It was beautiful. Let's get that back.

Advertisement
A lot of people under 35 only remember Miami from a few of the 30 for 30 shows which certainly romanticized the Hurricanes from that era, they were nationally hated (yes, hated) by a strong majority not just for their massive success, Nouveau riche status, but also for their real and perceived culture at the time (which was sometimes exaggerated and sometimes not, and was certainly used to often reflect negatively on the entire team).
Let’s be real. Much of the hatred was based on race.
UM was looked upon as an inner-city school (coded for black) and was taking on the more genteel (coded for white) schools in college town America. I grew up in Ann Arbor and heard UM referred to as a bunch of thugs constantly. To white America, which was basically 99% of the sports reporters and TV personalities in the 80’s, UM represented everything that was wrong with their bull**** “pristine” sport of college football.
UM was the equivalent of UNLV and Georgetown Baskteball, and NWA and Public Enemy. And there was nothing more hated back then, and even to many now, then an unabashed, unflinching black man having success while giving the rest of the country the middle finger.
I don’t mind our toned down version of this but I hope we never forget how UM was treated.

Advertisement
In the movie “ A Bronx Tale “ ( true story) the head gangster was asked .

Is it better to be feared or respected?

Answer : Feared

Canes in our glory years were FEARED Being hated meant nothing FEARED is the prize .

If you can watch this movie , you’ll LOVE IT

Folks;

Miami was a team that didn’t look like or play like the traditional teams, and the media looked for any and everything to throw dirt on us. For goodness sake, we were labeled as ThugU, a mantra that some programs still roll w/! Somebody tell me the last time SI ran an article on why football need to be on the death penalty for Bama. I need someone to post a link to Yahoo running an in-depth investigation on a short-*** Bama’s booster who broke out the yacht, champagne, & strippers for young MEN as the most disgraceful thing in CFB history. When that happens, let me know.

Ppl hate Bama, just like they hated The Celtics, The Lakers, The Yankees, & any other team associated w/ long dynasties due to pure haterism in their blood b/c their team ain’t those teams. It has zero to do w/ culture shift. We were a threat to the round table of traditionalism. We weren’t a blue blood & we didn’t respect the blue blood table. It’s why The Raiders & Hurricanes both resonated to urban communities; it was like a rage against the machine, & we were hated for it.

Advertisement
Let’s be real. Much of the hatred was based on race.
UM was looked upon as an inner-city school (coded for black) and was taking on the more genteel (coded for white) schools in college town America. I grew up in Ann Arbor and heard UM referred to as a bunch of thugs constantly. To white America, which was basically 99% of the sports reporters and TV personalities in the 80’s, UM represented everything that was wrong with their bull**** “pristine” sport of college football.
UM was the equivalent of UNLV and Georgetown Baskteball, and NWA and Public Enemy. And there was nothing more hated back then, and even to many now, then an unabashed, unflinching black man having success while giving the rest of the country the middle finger.
I don’t mind our toned down version of this but I hope we never forget how UM was treated.
Georgetown was loved fwiw UNLV and Miami I get, but across the country they were as loved as anyone. That’s an elitist school if their ever was one. 😂 Georgetown wasn’t ever or will ever be black 😂 ****
That’s like saying Harvard or Yale in the suburbs of the Midwest. Suburban mothers still say prayers for Patrick

Georgetown was loved fwiw UNLV and Miami I get, but across the country they were as loved as anyone. That’s an elitist school if their ever was one. 😂 Georgetown wasn’t ever or will ever be black 😂 ****
That’s like saying Harvard or Yale in the suburbs of the Midwest. Suburban mothers still say prayers for Patrick
A term was created for how Georgetown played basketball; Hoya Paranoia. That was not love. John Thompson staged a walkout of a game to protest the disparate impact of Proposition 48 on black student athletes. And he lead the black coaches along with John Chaney at Temple.
People put up signs at games comparing Patrick Ewing to a monkey and said he could not read. How could you have forgotten how Ewing and the team were treated????

If this is your definition of love then you my friend are in an abusive relationship and you need to get out

Georgetown the school may have been loved but Georgetown the basketball program was seen as an "inner city" program and hated by white America in the 80's.

Advertisement
Back