Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Ppl, a lot of ppl forget how great Edge was. Man we had a run on RBs for a minute, didn’t we? Edge, Jackson, Portis, McGahee, Gore, Miller, Duke? Sheesh.

Anyways back to Edge; Edge was so good, that the Colts were willing to trade arguably the greatest dual RB in NFL history in Marshall Faulk (Who SHOULD’VE been a Cane), for him. Edge set the league ablaze as soon as he touched down.

So happy he got his call to Canton, b/c for a period of 4-5 yrs of his career, he was the best RB in da league. Just wish he would’ve got that ring, even though The Colts gave him an honorary SB ring.

Never fully recovered from his acl imo. He wasn’t the same after that. Still got his well deserved and overdue gold jacket

Advertisement
Advertisement
Never fully recovered from his acl imo. He wasn’t the same after that. Still got his well deserved and overdue gold jacket
Sadly for Edge, ACL surgery techniques and recoveries drastically improved just a couple years after he tore his ACL. It’d have been different if it had happened around 2005.

Advertisement
If "explosiveness" amounts to speed and acceleration (according to your and D$'s definitions), why not just leave it narrow (calling it fast with the ability to accelerate)? Why abstract it to another term? To me, that's an indicator the term is really a composite of some of the things you mentioned and I labeled earlier (speed/acceleration + short area pop and so on).

Some guys are fast but take a minute to get top speed. What made Miller explosive (more than just fast) is that he could turn on the jets quick.

You can call it “fast with ability to accelerate” but that’s a lot of words. To me, he’s explosive.

Willis McGahee was a threat to house it every time he touched the ball. Probably the most physically talented RB ever at Miami.

Lamar Miller had great break away speed.

Duke Johnson wasn't the fastest dude but there's a million highlights of him breaking free and running in the open field.

Obscure choice: Al Shipman was a reserve running back in the early-mid 90's. He wasn't very big and he was never a starter but it seemed like every time he got the ball he was off to the races.
Gore as a frosh before injuries was pretty **** quick and elusive.

Perspective.

D’Andre Swift, widely regarded the top RB in the Draft and a 1st round pick:

5’9” 216 lbs, 4.48 40

Willis McGahee:

6’0” 235 lbs, 4.45 40.

McGahee was a beast post-injury. Pre-injury was a rare combination of violence and speed out of the backfield.
Willis was alot faster than that if he would've been timed before the Rose bowl. People forget he wasn't even 80% out of his own mouth at the combine. Willis was one fast *** dude.

Advertisement
Gore as a frosh before injuries was pretty **** quick and elusive.
I recognize I'd be crazy to say it but Frank and Troy were closest things I've seen with my own two eyes to Barry Sanders. Each had their own reasons to not maintain that path. But with both of watch their movements and be shook as a defender. Was glad to play with Frank and was glad Troy couldn't get into fspoo with Lamont. I obviously mean just their movements etc. Not necessarily running styles.

I recognize I'd be crazy to say it but Frank and Troy were closest things I've seen with my own two eyes to Barry Sanders. Each had their own reasons to not maintain that path. But with both of watch their movements and be shook as a defender. Was glad to play with Frank and was glad Troy couldn't get into fspoo with Lamont. I obviously mean just their movements etc. Not necessarily running styles.
Not at all crazy to say it. Gore’s third all time rushing in nfl after 3 acls. The pre-injury gore actually did some things better than barry because he hit forward quicker. Now barry, by his junior year, we know what he became. But gore without injury, not sure he doesn’t own the record book.

other guy who left me amazed was marshall faulk. Best athlete i ever saw at rb.

Advertisement
Not at all crazy to say it. Gore’s third all time rushing in nfl after 3 acls. The pre-injury gore actually did some things better than barry because he hit forward quicker. Now barry, by his junior year, we know what he became. But gore without injury, not sure he doesn’t own the record book.

other guy who left me amazed was marshall faulk. Best athlete i ever saw at rb.
If CJ came on staff earlier than he did maybe Faulk would have been a Cane. I remember meeting CJ in the VIP box after the '89 SDSU game. A reunion with his old buddies and coaches Brat and DE. Curtis Johnson was still on SDSU staff at the time. I think it was Butch who actually brought him to UM as a coach some years later. Our Louisiana recruiting was never the same after he left.

Some guys are fast but take a minute to get top speed. What made Miller explosive (more than just fast) is that he could turn on the jets quick.

You can call it “fast with ability to accelerate” but that’s a lot of words. To me, he’s explosive.
You've missed my point or are intentionally misrepresenting it. Either way, I think your definition is too narrow and makes less sense when you have to abstract two similar things speed/acceleration up to something else ("explosiveness"). I think the term requires more characteristics, but we're repeating ourselves. I responded to another poster who included you in a comment. I already figured where our back and forth would go.

Great point. Those fsu defenses that McGuire ran against were as stout as it gets.
Erickson was gunning for Bowden. Apparently Bowden said something about Erickson that really angered him. I don't know what it was but I used to hear stories about it. It happened after Dennis' first season. Erickson said he was going to kick FSU's *** from one end of the stadium to the other. He did so.

Dennis was not that kind of fiery personality but Bowden really ****ed him off. I never found out what it was.
Ppl, a lot of ppl forget how great Edge was. Man we had a run on RBs for a minute, didn’t we? Edge, Jackson, Portis, McGahee, Gore, Miller, Duke? Sheesh.

Anyways back to Edge; Edge was so good, that the Colts were willing to trade arguably the greatest dual RB in NFL history in Marshall Faulk (Who SHOULD’VE been a Cane), for him. Edge set the league ablaze as soon as he touched down.

So happy he got his call to Canton, b/c for a period of 4-5 yrs of his career, he was the best RB in da league. Just wish he would’ve got that ring, even though The Colts gave him an honorary SB ring.
And maybe Najeh should have been on that list but for injury.

Advertisement
Back