Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Cooper did not have much speed - he just moved his arms a lot.

He was clearly slower than a Miami RB.

He was okay, nothing more.

He also leads all Cane backs in getting tackled by air. Dude stayed falling over his own feet.

Miller is definitely one of the most explosive backs we had. He gets to his top speed and most times was caught from behind. With that being said.. he is not in my top 5 UM backs. With all the big runs he had. I remember a lot of times, Miller falling to the ground when he barely got touch. It would look like he was going to break a big run and someone slap his ankle and he was falling.Also remember him not having the best of vision either.

No you're right.

Edge had very good hands, he wasn't used much in the passing game at Miami due to the kind of offense we were running during his time, but in the NFL with the Colts he was a very effective receiving back out of the backfield.

He had 433 catches in his NFL career & had 5 seasons with 50 or more receptions.

Credit to Bill Polian and the Colts there. His hands were underutilized at UM, but Bill Polian and the Colts saw Edge and said, yeah, bring me that kid (over the Heisman winner) and watch what we do with him.

Advertisement
What ever happen to Coop from Memphis? Coop had the speed/shiftiness, but I think he use to get the turf bug. My fav running back at Miami was Edge and Mcgahee.

No shiftiness at all. He had burst through the hole though.

We'd be talking about Gore with Payton, Jim Brown, etc...If it wasn't for injuries, and he's still in some pretty lofty company now even playing most of career through and after them.

I assumed most people consider CJ Spiller explosive, which is why I used that example. Doesn't mean he's good. I hated Spiller as a pro prospect because he had no contact balance or wiggle in tight spaces. But he's an explosive player. That's his meal ticket.

Miller was a better back but similar. He'd carry for 1 yard, -3 yards, 2 yards before exploding for a long TD. He ran for 1,272 yards in 2011 (exceeded by only McGahee, Duke and Edge) and did it primarily on the strength of big plays. His explosiveness defined him.

There are better backs in Canes history and plenty of viable candidates for most explosive. I like Miller because of his ability to turn those explosive plays into 6, even if he's 95 yards away from the endzone.

Lamar Miller College & NFL Career
1,689 carries - 7 runs of 50+ yds

Duke Johnson's first 2 years at Miami
284 carries - 7 runs of 50+ yds

Miller is a beast and this isn't a knock on him. I wouldn't argue against Miller being the most explosive. I'm just making a case for the criminally underrated Duke Johnson.

Miller is a beast and this isn't a knock on him. I wouldn't argue against Miller being the most explosive. I'm just making a case for the criminally underrated Duke Johnson.

Duke is in the conversation. But since you brought up the NFL (where it is much harder to be explosive), consider this:

Duke only has three career runs of 30 yards or more, with none over 50.

Miller has 14 such runs, with four over 50. This includes two 95+ yard TDs and an 80+ yard run.

Advertisement
Watch the video and then get back to me. It's 17 straight minutes of long explosive runs. The guy is making moves to get himself to the open field that guys like mcgahee, Miller, or Homer simply couldn't do.

Portis was as explosive as ****, acceleration was nuts.

Lots of different skills being discussed and they deserve a broader question
explosiveness: McGahee
speed: Miller
vision: Portis
strength and endurance: Edge
pure running ability: gore

i didn’t see OJ Anderson play at UM to rank him.

Advertisement

I've got Duke as UM's 6th and Miller as UM's 7th most "explosive" backs. I've got Miller as perhaps the fastest back in UM history.

We’ve been spoiled with great backs. Hall of Famers had to wait their turn.

:neonu:

Advertisement
Back