Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Advertisement
And the Kick return against O$U. Miller was speed, speed, and more speed.

McGahee had speed and more power.
I was in the Horseshoe for that. Not the greatest Cane RB for me but **** that kid had speed beyond speed. Like some many position at Miami, it si hard to pick a greatest. My mind still has images of OJ back in the day before the day. Young Otis was fast my friends and then became load after the wheels slowed. Still, so many greats.

And Bentley was a walk-on.

Probably the first RB we got from Immokalee.

I agree that Edge was probably the best and most well-rounded RB at Miami - and my favorite, too.

I think a healthy Gore would've made a really strong case for best all around.

Unfortunately, we'll never know.

But 15,000 in the NFL on bum knees isn't too bad.

He's my favorite RB in school history.

McGahee, Gore, Portis James Jackson & Duke are all close as well love them, but Edge was just my personal favorite.

Guys like Albert Bentley, Highsmith, Melvin Bratton, Cleveland Gary etc, we're all great too, but I was pretty much a baby for most of their time at Miami so I didn't really get to see them during their heyday.

This is facts, even Look at the earlier part of the last decade, guys like Demarcus van dyke, Tommy streeter, Lamar Miller, Travis Benjamin, Phillip Dorsett were all sub 4.3(dvd) or sub 4.4 guys at the nfl combine and they all participated in track. Randy Shannon emphasized that
I have to admit I wanted Randy gone but he was the last guy to recruit Miami speed. Since then we have looked more like the midwest teams we use to make fun of. Maybe it is losing that short turf we had at the OB.

Very well said.

An underrated aspect of Edge's game was his wiggle or shiftiness, because he was such a big back you would think he would be stiff, but Edge actually had great ability to weave through traffic & was such a patient runner, he almost always made the first defender miss with his subtle juke move setting guys up to lunge outside & he would quickly glide back in, basically dead leg'em. And when he lowered his shoulder he was clearing whoever was in front of him.

He had a great center of gravity & his burst through the hole was uncanny. He would allow the blocks to develop while still moving his feet, but once the seal opened up he exploded through & looked like he was straight ice skating into the 2nd level.

Beautiful explanation of the way Edge ran.

That weaving, patience, subtle juke, and glide remark - it is perfectly descriptive

The most beautiful part to me? He made it look effortless, which it wasn’t of course, but he made it look that way. I think that’s where the glide comes in

Advertisement
I have to admit I wanted Randy gone but he was the last guy to recruit Miami speed. Since then we have looked more like the midwest teams we use to make fun of. Maybe it is losing that short turf we had at the OB.

It's definitely not that, because Dalvin Cook looked like a super hero against us on that same turf.

Tutu Atwell looked like he was shot out of a cannon against us last year as well.

Explosiveness to me is the ability to accelerate and then maintain speed.

Balance, wiggle and YAC are all separate categories. They are as important (or more important) to success as a RB, but distinct. If Lamar had those, he would be up there with the greats. His explosiveness is the reason he has had the success he's had.

Another example would be CJ Spiller. He had terrible balance, YAC and wiggle in traffic. That's why he went bust in the league. But nobody would question his explosiveness.
Your comments assume your definition of explosiveness is some kind of accepted notion. You then use your belief to say "explosiveness" is the reason he's had success he's had. I'd say it's speed and acceleration.

I question anyone's "explosiveness" when they're mainly just fast and can accelerate. So your "nobody would question" is simply false. You define explosiveness narrowly. To be clear, it's your definition. You made it up. Like I have mine - which is broader. I think it makes more sense to call your examples "fast" and my more comprehensive characteristics placed under the broader "explosiveness" category, but like I've said twice now, it's up to how we define it.

I don't see how someone who could barely get started unless there was a clear path was as "explosive" as some other guys who could do more. Are guys like Miller and Spiller capable of explosive plays? Sure. They're really fast. Being fast leads to some explosive plays. Are they capable of getting tripped up by a finger? We've seen that countless times. Can they explode through a tackler in short yardage? Nah. Can they pop through a crowded space and breakout? Not as often. Lamar's explosive because two of the characteristics I consider necessary for "explosiveness" are elite, but he still falls outside of my Top 5.

Advertisement
Are you asking for the most explosive or the fastest?
Because those two things are not necessarily the same.

Not this again. I doubt he was faster than Miller who also Ran in low 10.7 range in the 100m and ran a 4.34 40 at the combine

Lingard ran that as a junior and didn't run his senior year because he was an early enrolled. His 300 hurdles is better than a 10.7. Lingard didn't run many open 100s also. He would've got to a 10.4 as a senior or faster had he just focused on the 100

People sleep on Edge's speed but he ran a 4.38 at the combine.

He wasn't a pure blazer due to his sheer size, but he was an absolute workhorse back & had the best running gait of any UM back I've ever seen.

McGahee was the most explosive IMO, but Edge was the most complete back, his combination of power, speed & balance was special.

If I remember correctly he had gread hands too.
But I am loosing my memory so I can't be 100% on that.

Advertisement
Your comments assume your definition of explosiveness is some kind of accepted notion.

I assumed most people consider CJ Spiller explosive, which is why I used that example. Doesn't mean he's good. I hated Spiller as a pro prospect because he had no contact balance or wiggle in tight spaces. But he's an explosive player. That's his meal ticket.

Miller was a better back but similar. He'd carry for 1 yard, -3 yards, 2 yards before exploding for a long TD. He ran for 1,272 yards in 2011 (exceeded by only McGahee, Duke and Edge) and did it primarily on the strength of big plays. His explosiveness defined him.

There are better backs in Canes history and plenty of viable candidates for most explosive. I like Miller because of his ability to turn those explosive plays into 6, even if he's 95 yards away from the endzone.

If I remember correctly he had gread hands too.
But I am loosing my memory so I can't be 100% on that.
No you're right.

Edge had very good hands, he wasn't used much in the passing game at Miami due to the kind of offense we were running during his time, but in the NFL with the Colts he was a very effective receiving back out of the backfield.

He had 433 catches in his NFL career & had 5 seasons with 50 or more receptions.

Advertisement
Can someone explain to me why Miami (Dolphins) ever let this guy go? What exactly did we get back in return?

Man, you know the answer to that... Dolphins are a garbage organization. Have been ever since Joe Robbie moved them out of the OB. Marino brought us some good times, but the organization was dysfunctional even then. With that kind of generational and singular talent, it's an indictment that we never won a SB. I gave up hope on the Dolphins when the Jimmy experiment ended.

Between Willis and Miller...James Jackson was one of them too. Wish I would have gotten to see more of gore before the injuries

Advertisement
Back