Morris or Williams, who's the starter in 2012?

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
Not that we won't have 8,00 more threads about this until next summer, but this will be one of the biggest decisions Goldena and Fisch will have to make moving forward.

What do both bring to the table as far as QB attributes?

I know a lot of people haven't been that high on Morris but I do like what he brings to the table in terms of arm strength and mobility. He seems like a good leader that the team feeds off. I'm concerned with decision making and accuracy but feel like Fisch worked wonders with Jacory and can help him improve his decision making.

Williams seemed to make good decisions as a true Freshman at Memphis last year as his TD-INt ratio was pretty good for a first year player. He doesn't have the natural skill set that Morris has but could have the intangibles we need out of our QB.

Advertisement
Morris is definitely a serviceable quarterback but I don't ever see him being elite. I don't know anything about williams either but he definitely has the size.

Say what you will about jacory, but he had something that I haven't seen since dorsey. Jacory is a natural passer and, in my opinion , is an incredible talent.

I, like all of you, have watched in disgust as he has thrown countless interceptions but I can't help but think that it was that he was being put in situations by the coaching staff that he shouldn't have been in. Since the day he stepped on campus he has been able to make throws that 99% of other qb's in the NCAA couldn't make. He has always had this ability, however I don't think there was any effort to improve upon his weaknesses.

In fisch/goldens first year they were able to reduce his interception rate and what that tells me is that our previous offensive coaching staff were incapable of developing talent.

Has there been any mention on how Willaims has performed on the scout team. This is probably our biggest question heading into next season. If Williams beats out Morris then what does that say about Willaims talent?

Has there been any mention on how Willaims has performed on the scout team. This is probably our biggest question heading into next season. If Williams beats out Morris then what does that say about Willaims talent?

Everyone who has seen him hs raved about him.

I dunno, Morris can get us 7 or 8 wins but I don't think he's a kid that can get us over the hump. Hopefully Williams can beat him out or at least give us the opportunity to RS Dewey.

Advertisement
I saw Williams play twice at Memphis...obviously seen Morris a bunch.

I don't think they differ much as players...any difference is minute, but they are different types of players. I don't see either as some second-coming, just two average quarterbacks. However, we can win with average quarterbacking if the players around them step their game up.

Golden brought in Williams because he really likes him and/or because he couldn't convince any high school QB's (Brisett, Bridgewater, etc) to come here last year. He was also set to bring in Forcier so for all we know Williams was brought for depth.

I've seen Morris practice a ton and I really liked what he did against UVA, Maryland, GT, and Notre Dame in 2010. I watched Williams at Miramar once on tv in the state championship game and wondered why he wasn't coming to Miami.

Williams has a bit more experience but Morris took all the reps next to Jacory in 2011. My gut says Williams will start, but as Larry said, Morris' arm strength and mobility might put him over the top.

I think Morris has the edge, but I dont think we will know anything until spring. I dont know much about Williams.

And Im glad Dewey can redshirt. It will be crucial for him to get a year to learn the system and play scout team. **** who knows the kid might even grow an inch or 2. I think by his rs SO campaign he will be the leader of this team.

Advertisement
At least the coaches have a choice. Should be a win win for the team.

+1. I think the lack of competition for playing time has hurt our QB play as much as anything. Gotta make a kid 'win' his starting spot.

Last edited:
Advertisement
At least the coaches have a choice. Should be a win win for the team.

+1. I think the lack of competition for playing time has hurt our QB play as much as anything. Gotta make a kid 'win' his starting spot.

Ehhhhh...depends on the guy you have a QB.

You don't want your QB playing tight and being scared to make a mistake. That has disaster written all over it.

Like I said in another thread, I'll learn everything I need to know about our QB situation if we don't name a starter by the end of spring ball. If we go into the summer without a definitively named starter, I'll know that we're lacking at the position going forward. I would like to see the starter for the summer play loose and take on a leadership role.

You do realize that Morris has been taking 40% of first team snaps while Williams has been running the scout team. The only time Williams even spends with our offense is in the film room.

That will be an extremely hard obstacle for him to overcome. I think Morris definitely has the upper hand and it is his job to lose. Apparently, he really came into his own toward the latter part of the season. ("better to play him 4 games late than 1 game early) I believe is the quote Golden has used when referencing Morris.

With maturity and knowledge of the playbook and schemes comes the confidence and leadership. I think Morris is reaping the benefits of going on his 3rd spring camp and being able to grasp the playbook at his pace while Jacory was playing.

Morris is named the starter in Fall camp. I think the coaching staff will give Williams more than just the Spring to prove himself seeing as to how far behind of grasping the offense he is in relation to Morris.

Advertisement
Im of the opinion that if Williams cannot beat out Morris, we will be a subpar team.

Here is my thing with Morris.

He is pretty average overall as a QB. But, I think, with a mature, upperclass Morris, we can win football games with him...just depends how much more refined as a QB he gets...and in that, I mean, keeps the bad decisions to a minimum, doesn't turn the football over, and takes a leap in efficiency on third down situations...things that you don't notice as improvement on a QB outside of the interceptions...

As a QB...I like that he can run...he's got a big arm...just not overly accurate at all and really not a great QB, and has been prone to make a lot of mistakes. He's one of those types of QBs you'd see as a 3 year starter at a low-mid-level BCS school and just never be great, but he's just there, accumulating stats and starts. But, as he gets older, he can work on being more efficient and cut down on the mistakes.

Can we win with that kind of QB? Yeah...I think so. BUT, we need the guys around him to step up and play good football. We could have won more than 6 games with Jacory this year, but we had other areas that let us down...if the defense is up to snuff (not even elite, just a lot better than this year), and the offensive line plays to its ability, and the skill guys are who they are supposed to be...no reason why with Morris at QB, as an upperclassman we can't win enough games to matter.

With Williams, he's more of a pocket passer, maybe more made for JF's offense, but like Morris, he needs to make all of the same kinds of jumps as an upperclass QB.

LSU has gone undefeated through a schedule that rivals some of the great schedules of all-time with very average or worse QBs playing, but what they've done this year is cut down on the turnovers exponentially and they let the playmakers do what they do on offense, enough so, to basically cover the spread in nearly every game they've been in (games they've lost via the spread...NWSt, which was 49, they won by 48...Kentucky, which was 29, they won by 28...WKU, which was 42 and they won by 33)...so, its possible to win with less than spectacular QB play...we don't need Andrew Luck playing for us.

I think Morris will win out... I didnt see Williams at Memphis but I saw him in high school... I wasnt impress... To be fair that state championship game was his best performance but before that game he wasnt that impressive... He was at Heritage and was qb who had a mid major talent... When he went over to Miramar they had like 4 D1 wideouts and with talent like that he could have done more, but he definitely did that in state game... That being said he's a big kid but he doesnt (well at that time he didnt) have a strong arm... If people complain about Jacory then I cant see why anyone would just anoint this guy as the starter... I'm not sold on the Golden really liking him and bringing him in... I think it was more for depth... I mean Golden went after Tate Forcier, Tom Savage and then Ryan Williams...

I think Morris will start for two years and Crow(yes I said it) will take over... At first I was saying Dewey, but I'm a bit concerned about his ceiling... He played small school Texas ball (not too bother because he's going to shirt anyway), but he is literally a red-shirt senior in high school... Like I posted on another board, He may be just as old as Morris and Williams depending on their months of birth... How high is his ceiling? And I agree with the poster who mentioned Jacory... He killed us with his picks at times but he made some incredible throws as well... Even though we were supposed to be a dink and donk offense we were forced at times to make long passes and he did... For instance, his performances against Vtech, UVA, and Kstate showed some of the passes he could make...

I also believe that we will run even more next year... I dont think our qb will throw for more than 14 tds... I think nit will definitely be ball control and our O may resemble LSU a bit... I can see us with 3 backs with at least 600 yards a piece...

Everyone who has seen him hs raved about him.

I dunno, Morris can get us 7 or 8 wins but I don't think he's a kid that can get us over the hump. Hopefully Williams can beat him out or at least give us the opportunity to RS Dewey.

If anything Williams would also provide competition for Morris. We all saw what happened to Jacory when he had no other QB's behind him pushing for the top spot. I like hearing that the staff believes Morris has turned the corner, I also like that Morris has D1 reps and starts under his belt and has looked good on the scout team.

Advertisement
Back