Morris or Williams, who's the starter in 2012?

Dmoney, Has Morris's accuracy improved this year? What do you think of his leadership skills? Can he be more of a pocket passer?

Overall, he is playing with more command. He's getting better on his touch passes. He's more of a leader by example than a vocal leader, but that should change a bit with Jacory leaving. He's definitely a team guy and they love his makeup.

Advertisement
Fisch turned Jacory around, and made him into a pretty good QB. *He couldn't fix the talent around him, especially defense, but Jacory was a good game manager. *Jacory never truly turned the corner and was able to win us a game with a late drive; but if the defense had played better we wouldn't have needed so many late drives.

If the defense plays a little better, or if Morris/Williams is better at late drives than Harris, then this should equal a few more wins on its own, next season.

As far as I'm concerned, Morris has a rocket arm, he has good size, he's reasonably athletic and mobile, and he has experience. He has shown some erratic decision making for certain but at times he looks well composed. Where I stand is that this is a guy who should be able to be developed into a quality quarterback. Williams I think has taken on a bit of the "grass is greener" quality that Morris had when he was "the other guy." It seems rather coincidental that Morris became a bad quarterback when Williams arrived. Late last year most were far more tolerant of his erratic play.

Personally I think they should've started Morris this year if the competition was as close as suggested and let him take his lumps. But my fairly uneducated assessment is that he'll win this competition--he has experience with the system, he's played better competition, and I doubt the Williams kid is any better physically.

As far as I'm concerned, Morris has a rocket arm, he has good size, he's reasonably athletic and mobile, and he has experience. He has shown some erratic decision making for certain but at times he looks well composed. Where I stand is that this is a guy who should be able to be developed into a quality quarterback. Williams I think has taken on a bit of the "grass is greener" quality that Morris had when he was "the other guy." It seems rather coincidental that Morris became a bad quarterback when Williams arrived. Late last year most were far more tolerant of his erratic play.

Personally I think they should've started Morris this year if the competition was as close as suggested and let him take his lumps. But my fairly uneducated assessment is that he'll win this competition--he has experience with the system, he's played better competition, and I doubt the Williams kid is any better physically.

+1
I agree with your posts... If the competition was as close as they said it was Morris should have started, but I dont think it was as close as the media made it... That being said, the back up is everyone's favorite player... I'm looking forward to the spring... I think Morris wins it handily... And in 2 years we'll see a new qb... I'm saying Crow(even though we dont know which prospects will emerge/enroll by then)...

I feel comfortable with the QB situation going into next season for the first time in years.

Same.

I wish I could feel comfortable about our QB situation next season, but I'm still apprehensive about Morris taking over (assuming it's Morris). Everytime we hear about a player on this team "taking the next step" or some other cliche, they never seem to show it on the field. Morris has a big arm and can definitely move the chains with his legs, but he's always been as INT-prone as Jacory, maybe more so. The only thing that gives me any hope is knowing Fisch was able to turn Jacory around for most of this year. If Morris wins the job, I hope Fisch can get Morris to make better decisions.

I don't know anything about Williams, but I've heard conflicting stories about him running the scout team. For every comment about Williams looking great, I hear just as many negative comments.

By the way, PennMed, I don't necessarily think there was anything coincidental about Morris becoming a "bad QB" once Williams arrived. Anyone who was paying attention could see Morris had the same turnover issues people wanted to hammer Jacory on. I think a lot of people crowned Morris last year because Jacory was turning the ball over everytime he dropped back. When Jacory went out in the UVA game, Morris came in and looked OK, but nothing jaw-dropping. The rest of the year, everyone claimed Morris had "it", but I think they just grew tired of Jacory's picks, or the "grass is greener" as you said. The backup QB is always the best QB on the team, according to the fans.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel comfortable with the QB situation going into next season for the first time in years.

Same.

I wish I could feel comfortable about our QB situation next season, but I'm still apprehensive about Morris taking over (assuming it's Morris). Everytime we hear about a player on this team "taking the next step" or some other cliche, they never seem to show it on the field. Morris has a big arm and can definitely move the chains with his legs, but he's always been as INT-prone as Jacory, maybe more so. The only thing that gives me any hope is knowing Fisch was able to turn Jacory around for most of this year. If Morris wins the job, I hope Fisch can get Morris to make better decisions.

I don't know anything about Williams, but I've heard conflicting stories about him running the scout team. For every comment about Williams looking great, I hear just as many negative comments.

By the way, PennMed, I don't necessarily think there was anything coincidental about Morris becoming a "bad QB" once Williams arrived. Anyone who was paying attention could see Morris had the same turnover issues people wanted to hammer Jacory on. I think a lot of people crowned Morris last year because Jacory was turning the ball over everytime he dropped back. When Jacory went out in the UVA game, Morris came in and looked OK, but nothing jaw-dropping. The rest of the year, everyone claimed Morris had "it", but I think they just grew tired of Jacory's picks, or the "grass is greener" as you said. The backup QB is always the best QB on the team, according to the fans.

That's the point. Morris was always an erratic, error-prone quarterback. Because people hated Jacory and he was the alternative, people tolerated it, excused it, and praised him. Once there was some other alternative, people turned on him and act like this other guy is better. Unless people watch Memphis, few have even seen this guy. Morris has always been the same guy--pretty good talent but erratic but he's young. We have to hope he works past that and I think he can. If he can, he can be a good player. I'm not quick to dispose of this guy in favor of somebody else with less experience in the system who's played worse competition and likely has no more talent.

Same.

That's the point. Morris was always an erratic, error-prone quarterback. Because people hated Jacory and he was the alternative, people tolerated it, excused it, and praised him. Once there was some other alternative, people turned on him and act like this other guy is better. Unless people watch Memphis, few have even seen this guy. Morris has always been the same guy--pretty good talent but erratic but he's young. We have to hope he works past that and I think he can. If he can, he can be a good player. I'm not quick to dispose of this guy in favor of somebody else with less experience in the system who's played worse competition and likely has no more talent.

Morris was also a true Freshman making those mistakes, not a 3 year starting QB. I have liked what I've seen from Morris so far and feel like Fisch can get him ready to play mistake free football.

Same.

people blast morris like he wasn't a true frosh thrown into the fire...

Same.

people blast morris like he wasn't a true frosh thrown into the fire...

In all fairness though he made similar misteakes against Maryland, but agree with you that he's young and has room for growth.

Advertisement
Oh yeah, and in case you guys forgot, Williams was Golden's second choice it seemed. He went after him only after Forcier started to flake.

Point taken, but I think its also fair to point out that the coaching staff really pressed the NCAA for Ryan Williams hardship waiver so he could play this year. Keep in mind we already had 3 QBs available to play. That too says something about the staff's opinion of the QB situation. Perhaps we can say that in the eyes of the coaches last winter/summer:

Forcier > Williams > Morris.

Okay that's a bit of an over-simplification, but you get the point I'm driving towards.

SFBAY-
I have thought about that as well when the mention of a hardship waiver was first made. As I continued to try and analyze why they would ask for a hardship for Williams was maybe due, in part, to the staff wanting to red-shirt Morris since they knew Jacory was going to be the starter this year. Once the allegations came out and Jacory was suspended for the first game, that went out the window.

Maybe the staff knew Morris was a diamond in the rough as far as having the ability but needing more time to grasp the offensive concepts.

Coach Golden and Fisch's comments toward the end of the season praising Morris and giving him playing time showed me that Morris was finally turning the corner and understanding all of the offensive responsibilities.

Oh yeah, and in case you guys forgot, Williams was Golden's second choice it seemed. He went after him only after Forcier started to flake.

Point taken, but I think its also fair to point out that the coaching staff really pressed the NCAA for Ryan Williams hardship waiver so he could play this year. Keep in mind we already had 3 QBs available to play. That too says something about the staff's opinion of the QB situation. Perhaps we can say that in the eyes of the coaches last winter/summer:

Forcier > Williams > Morris.

Okay that's a bit of an over-simplification, but you get the point I'm driving towards.

SFBAY-
I have thought about that as well when the mention of a hardship waiver was first made. As I continued to try and analyze why they would ask for a hardship for Williams was maybe due, in part, to the staff wanting to red-shirt Morris since they knew Jacory was going to be the starter this year. Once the allegations came out and Jacory was suspended for the first game, that went out the window.

Maybe the staff knew Morris was a diamond in the rough as far as having the ability but needing more time to grasp the offensive concepts.

Coach Golden and Fisch's comments toward the end of the season praising Morris and giving him playing time showed me that Morris was finally turning the corner and understanding all of the offensive responsibilities.

Love hearing about Morris turning the corner, I also want to see Williams make a stong push for the job, competitiong breeds W's IMO, without Williams pushing him Morris could become complacent like Jacory when he knew there was no QB behind him worthy of playing time.

Everything the coaches have said about Morris, they have said about Williams i.e. "He can make all the throws." etc. Williams does not have a weak arm. Even if he did, QB's do fine in college with weak arms, look at dorsey and Jacory this year. It's all about decision making. I have been beating the Williams drum for a long time, so I won't repeat all of what I have already said.

But I will say this... Those that are relying on what the coaches are saying, may be surprised. Any coach worth his salt, will not name a starter, untill it is too late for the backup to transfer. I contend that comments made about Morris, and the playing time he recieved at the end of the year, are just to keep him from transfering.

Everything the coaches have said about Morris, they have said about Williams i.e. "He can make all the throws." etc. Williams does not have a weak arm. Even if he did, QB's do fine in college with weak arms, look at dorsey and Jacory this year. It's all about decision making. I have been beating the Williams drum for a long time, so I won't repeat all of what I have already said.

But I will say this... Those that are relying on what the coaches are saying, may be surprised. Any coach worth his salt, will not name a starter, untill it is too late for the backup to transfer. I contend that comments made about Morris, and the playing time he recieved at the end of the year, are just to keep him from transfering.

This is my belief as well.

Both have had about the same time in the system and williams ran the scout team all year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back