Morris or Williams, who's the starter in 2012?

Advertisement
Ryan Williams was heavily recruited by Petrino at Arkansas when he decided t transfer from Memphis, that man knows quarterbacks so imma say Williams when out

Great discussion in this thread, Thanx to all. Some comments on y'alls comments:

Lauderdale: (two comments to you)
1) How would you rate Williams' wheels? Does he have any running skills, some, a lot??

2) Interesting take on Dewey. Are you saying that he is a 19+ year old HS senior? (side story - I'm friends with (wisconsin commit & De La Salle QB) Bart Houston's family. They literally put both of their sons in a TWENTY FOUR MONTH KINDERGARTEN program for the sole purpose of having them be 19+ year old HS seniors. It worked for Bart (Wisconsin offer). I often point out that he is a full 12- 15 months older than everyone he competes against.

Larry - I agree with your assessment that Morris is average yet competent. Sorta my take as well. However, you extrapolate that into saying that we can win with Morris if we surround him with enough talent. That said, the other talent will be equal for both QBs. So we're back to who's better.

The Dude
- solid take as well. - I awarded you my first ever rep point on this board. :)

Great discussion in this thread, Thanx to all. Some comments on y'alls comments:

1) How would you rate Williams' wheels? Does he have any running skills, some, a lot??

2) Interesting take on Dewey. Are you saying that he is a 19+ year old HS senior? (side story - I'm friends with (wisconsin commit & De La Salle QB) Bart Houston's family. They literally put both of their sons in a TWENTY FOUR MONTH KINDERGARTEN program for the sole purpose of having them be 19+ year old HS seniors. It worked for Bart (Wisconsin offer). I often point out that he is a full 12- 15 months older than everyone he competes against.

Larry - I agree with your assessment that Morris is average yet competent. Sorta my take as well. However, you extrapolate that into saying that we can win with Morris if we surround him with enough talent. That said, the other talent will be equal for both QBs. So we're back to who's better.

The Dude

Awesome...If only I knew what the **** a rep point is...But I'll take it.

I, too, enjoyed the convo in this thread. A reasonable debate without flames.

The Dude,
I wasnt aware of it until earlier this week...and Im a moderator on this site. lol

Click on: your screen name, view profile, then the tab at the top that says reputation. Posters here can evaluate other posters comments. You'll notice everyone has a bar/bars (green, gray, red) next to their screen name. that tells you the sum of peoples voting on their posting rep. Kinda cheesey but Im beginning to see the value in it.

Oh and you can view everyones rep-points by clicking on their screen name.

Advertisement
One of these guys, most likely Morris, will be the first UM quarterback in a while to get a real shot in the pros. People are severely underestimating their abilities. As Fisch (an NFL guy) said, Morris has an elite arm. And Williams is a tall passer with accuracy. IMO, the guys we are bringing in are a notch below these two.

Williams looked great when I saw him running the scout team in August but the buzz from inside the program is that Morris has been taking it to a new level lately.

One of these people, most likely Morris, will be the first UM quarterback in a while to get a real shot in the pros. People are severely underestimating their abilities. As Fisch (an NFL guy) said, Morris has an elite arm. And Williams is a tall passer with accuracy. IMO, the guys we are bringing in are a notch below these two.

Williams looked great when I saw him running the scout team in August but the buzz from inside the program is that Morris has been taking it to a new level lately.

Not to knock what you saw, but I think anyone would look good against our one's. That was an issue all year. We made every QB look like Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers. :)

I don't see how anyone can even debate this. Nobody has seen Williams play. This is Morris's job, and it's Morris's team. I have seen a lot that I like with Morris, and I have seen a lot that I dont. A lot of people are skeptical given that Morris has been int prone, well the majority of those pics were when Whipple was making calls. I like the idea of Fisch having the year to work with him. We will be fine with Morris as our QB

Oh yeah, and in case you guys forgot, Williams was Golden's second choice it seemed. He went after him only after Forcier started to flake.

Advertisement
Oh and I agree with Lauderdale about Crow being our starter two years from now. Crow is a winner and plays a high level of competition. Dewey has one win the past two years, AND his numbers arent all that great. Dewey just seems like a camp warrior to me. There is something to be said about Crow having the measurables and being a winner at a high level. I mean, you only have to look to Gainesville this past year for an example of small school ball compared to high level of competition. Everyone was screaming that Jacoby wouldn't see the field at ALL bc he was behind Brantley and Driskel. Driskel may have looked good in camps but he played for freakin' Oviedo! Meanwhile Jacoby has his high school games in OH on ESPN!!

My only issue with Morris (and I really really like his skill set), is he just doesnt seem to have much "moxy".

I just don't really see him as a gamer, things look forced a lot of times for Morris. Does he make great throws/runs? Sure. But there never seems to be a flow with him back there.

Maybe the lights turned on, like Dmoney said, and he's found his groove. I honestly dont care who wins the QB battle as long as we win more games.

My only issue with Morris (and I really really like his skill set), is he just doesnt seem to have much "moxy".

I just don't really see him as a gamer, things look forced a lot of times for Morris. Does he make great throws/runs? Sure. But there never seems to be a flow with him back there.

Maybe the lights turned on, like Dmoney said, and he's found his groove. I honestly dont care who wins the QB battle as long as we win more games.

I disagree in part. That's the first thing Golden said about Morris after seeing him against the Domers- "I like his moxie."

Morris came straight off the scout team and made throws. The Maryland game-winning drive was his first start. He hangs in the pocket and tries to run people over when he takes off. Toughness isn't in an issue.

If Morris can speed up decisionmaking, which as you noted slows down the flow of the offense, the sky is the limit. But he already has shown plenty more gameness than guys like Kyle Wright or John Brantley.

Oh yeah, and in case you guys forgot, Williams was Golden's second choice it seemed. He went after him only after Forcier started to flake.

Point taken, but I think its also fair to point out that the coaching staff really pressed the NCAA for Ryan Williams hardship waiver so he could play this year. Keep in mind we already had 3 QBs available to play. That too says something about the staff's opinion of the QB situation. Perhaps we can say that in the eyes of the coaches last winter/summer:

Forcier > Williams > Morris.

Okay that's a bit of an over-simplification, but you get the point I'm driving towards.

Advertisement
i think morris has a leg up.... but i can guarantee that they won't hand some one a ton of snaps just because.. i'm confident that in this battle, whoever starts, has earned it.

D$,
Can you comment on Williams' mobility?

He's slow but he's not a stiff. Pretty smooth for a tall guy.

Breaking down the two: Williams is like a taller, sturdier Jacory. Excellent accuracy, doesn't have a gun but can throw with touch. He was carving it up with walk-on receivers when I saw him. Seemed to make quick decisions, but it's tough to give a real opinion without bullets. Morris has a Matt Stafford-arm, not as accurate as Williams but not bad, and the mobility to run.

Toughness and character I would give the edge to Morris. Grasp of the offense goes to Morris now but we'll see how Williams does with real reps. Both guys are pro style passers and should develop under Fisch.

South Florida quarterbacks are here to stay and these are two legit pro-style QB prospects.

I disagree in part. That's the first thing Golden said about Morris after seeing him against the Domers- "I like his moxie."

Morris came straight off the scout team and made throws. The Maryland game-winning drive was his first start. He hangs in the pocket and tries to run people over when he takes off. Toughness isn't in an issue.

If Morris can speed up decisionmaking, which as you noted slows down the flow of the offense, the sky is the limit. But he already has shown plenty more gameness than guys like Kyle Wright or John Brantley.

I see what you're saying, but I still dont think he looks like a consistently smooth passer. If it's there, he'll zip it in there. If not, he panics and runs around. Of course he looks more comfortable scrambling (his physical tools allow him to be effective here). And yes he is tough and will deliver a hit, but I still want to see more polish as a passer.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect him to look great as a sophomore. It's just one of the areas I'm looking for him to improve in. And if what you say is right, then I'm definitely excited about this kids future. But as we all know too well, lets see it on the field.

Advertisement

The Dude

He's not fast... I'm not going to pretend to be a qb evaluator but he isnt really that athletic in terms of speed... I've read comparisons to Big Ben and its not even close... One thing I will give him credit for is that he is tenacious when it comes to running if he has to... He'll at least... I sort of disagree with D$ about the comparisons to Jacory... Jacory is more athletic than people give him credit... His issue was that he was scared to run and hesitated a bit... I was sort of bad because he would break at times and just stride and pick up good yardage but if he actually ran he would have been more of a threat... He is accurate but he usually throws short passes... He doesnt go deep often... But all of my evaluations is derived from seeing him at American Heritage and a lil bit at Miramar...

And I'm not buying the NCAA hardship thing... He was our 3rd option and after Forcier didnt come and Savage situation didnt come to fruition. I'm going with morris and Crow taking over the reigns in 2014... Well I'm not sure how old he is but I do know he received a athletic hardship waver to play an extra year... That sort of bothers me... And yea, I have been hearing about that a lot with families doing this in pursuit of their children receiving a scholarship offer... I think its a bit sad... Just my opinion...

One of these guys, most likely Morris, will be the first UM quarterback in a while to get a real shot in the pros. People are severely underestimating their abilities. As Fisch (an NFL guy) said, Morris has an elite arm. And Williams is a tall passer with accuracy. IMO, the guys we are bringing in are a notch below these two.

That's exciting news to hear. My only concern with Morris was questionable decision making, but we saw this year with Jacory, Fisch can help eliminate some of the issues with Ints.

Dmoney, Has Morris's accuracy improved this year? What do you think of his leadership skills? Can he be more of a pocket passer?

I feel comfortable with the QB situation going into next season for the first time in years.

Advertisement
Back