More info on Bryant de-commitment

I like Golden a lot and he handles the recruiting game really good.Why recruit guys that don't want to play for the U family!!!

No offense, but wasn't that Randy's philosophy?

Yes but anyone who thinks that's Golden's philosophy hasn't been ****ing paying attention

I agree completely. Golden just isn't a guy who is going to bend over and lube up for a prospect.
It's all about respect and if a word is given then broken it all points to character.
Everyone knows that oral commitments aren't binding officially, but when you look in a coach's eye and tell him, "Sir, I'm officially committing to the U, and
my word is my bond," coach's look back man to man and take that prospect's word.
Then later when they say, "look we are engaged, but we haven't signed the papers yet, so I'm going out and am going to **** every body just because I can,"
Golden is just supposed to say, "Ok, fine with me see you at the alter."
To **** with that. You give your word you stick with it. Either that or don't give it.

Advertisement
I played college ball and trust me guys that aren't motivated to be great at a school will not put in the work to be great. I remember back when my fiance was at Um and she told me about James Stewart. I worked out with him a few times,he wanted it bad. I don't think you can teach desire and work ethic. I don't think it's over with Bryant.I think he likes the attention,but in his heart he wants to be a Hurricane.It's hard trying to read 17 and 18 years olds.

I played college ball and trust me guys that aren't motivated to be great at a school will not put in the work to be great. I remember back when my fiance was at Um and she told me about James Stewart. I worked out with him a few times,he wanted it bad. I don't think you can teach desire and work ethic. I don't think it's over with Bryant.I think he likes the attention,but in his heart he wants to be a Hurricane.It's hard trying to read 17 and 18 years olds.

IIRC, James Stewart had the rep for being a bit lazy. Had all the talent in the world but laziness got the best of him.

I like Golden a lot and he handles the recruiting game really good.Why recruit guys that don't want to play for the U family!!!

Yes but anyone who thinks that's Golden's philosophy hasn't been ****ing paying attention

I agree completely. Golden just isn't a guy who is going to bend over and lube up for a prospect.
It's all about respect and if a word is given then broken it all points to character.
Everyone knows that oral commitments aren't binding officially, but when you look in a coach's eye and tell him, "Sir, I'm officially committing to the U, and
my word is my bond," coach's look back man to man and take that prospect's word.
Then later when they say, "look we are engaged, but we haven't signed the papers yet, so I'm going out and am going to **** every body just because I can,"
To **** with that. You give your word you stick with it. Either that or don't give it.

But this isn't a business deal. These are adults/men on one end (coaches) and kids on the other end, so you DO have to play that game.

I would say next.. Too much drama.. Either your on board or your not. Being 17, 18 should not justify you not being able to commit to a school. Do your research about the school then make your decision, to me it just shows the maturity of each recruit.. Sorry, but I don't blame Al golden for moving on.. It just just shows who wants to actually be here oppose to who doesn't, simple as that. Lets lock up two stud D-tackles and call it.. I also notice the recruits who stick to their commitment usually have more successful careers than those who constintely waiver. True facts. Being part of a family who are coaches, you see this all the time unfortnantely. Sad thing is talent is not the issue, it's always the level of commitment just to the program itself

Advertisement

But this isn't a business deal. These are adults/men on one end (coaches) and kids on the other end, so you DO have to play that game.

correct. Kids are fickle and it takes a very unique kid not to be swayed by adult men showering them with praise, gifts, etc. The Dukes of the world are the exception not the rule.

To start off, I was wayyy wrong on this one. As you guys know, I had been feeling good about his commitment even through all of the latest rumors.

Anyways, I asked him last night if there was any particular reason he was still committed to Miami or if he was planning on de-committing. I woke up a little while ago and he had texted me at 6AM saying "I did" so I'm guessing the de-commitment took place last night.

He's still considering Miami, but it remains to be seen how hard the Miami staff will go after him. Miami was not happy at all with the way he has been handling things and was close to just letting him go his own way without a fight.
It makes sense that Golden has cooled on him. Kid is self entitled, I would do same thing if I were coach. We can always get the kids who want to play for Miami.

Advertisement

You are right, it's not a business deal. If it were we would be filing a lawsuit as oral contracts are binding.
I understand that most coaches play the game. Golden is one of those coach's that do not play this game.
I know it's only been a couple years with Golden but I don't think I remember a backed out oral commitment that Golden still hotly pursued.
Not his mode de guerre. Seems like when a prospect tells us **** you Golden looks back and says, "AMF."

To start off, I was wayyy wrong on this one. As you guys know, I had been feeling good about his commitment even through all of the latest rumors.

Anyways, I asked him last night if there was any particular reason he was still committed to Miami or if he was planning on de-committing. I woke up a little while ago and he had texted me at 6AM saying "I did" so I'm guessing the de-commitment took place last night.

He's still considering Miami, but it remains to be seen how hard the Miami staff will go after him. Miami was not happy at all with the way he has been handling things and was close to just letting him go his own way without a fight.

This is why I asked you on how confident you were about him, and how it pertained to your confidence regarding AC. You bring the goods Pete, so Im not knocking you, but as time goes on you will realize that these kids play major games and they love the **** too.

There's only one certainty here: so far, this has been an overreaction.

Advertisement

James Stewart had the rep for being a bit lazy. Had all the talent in the world but laziness got the best of him.
I never heard anything about him him being lazy,but I remember her boyfriend at the time Chris T Jones talking about how hard he was for the guys on defense to tackle in practice,that was back when our defense was elite. I remember Stewart beat the brakes off a dude for just sitting on his Benz. You may be right man,because he was a beast and I always wondered why he didn't be a star in the league,he was a grown man!

Saw this on Twitter...

Ken LaVicka ‏@KLV760
Atlantic DT Keith Bryant milking recruiting process. "De-committed" from #Canes, said #FSU #1, but wore #Miami hat to Groza's last night.

Advertisement
I have no idea why I care so little about this, but I guess part of it is that I think Keith AND Pete may be trolling us. Directly or indirectly. Either way, I think it's way too far away to flip out over.

James Stewart had the rep for being a bit lazy. Had all the talent in the world but laziness got the best of him.
I never heard anything about him him being lazy,but I remember her boyfriend at the time Chris T Jones talking about how hard he was for the guys on defense to tackle in practice,that was back when our defense was elite. I remember Stewart beat the brakes off a dude for just sitting on his Benz. You may be right man,because he was a beast and I always wondered why he didn't be a star in the league,he was a grown man!

Oh trust me, he was a beast on the practice field - I watched it first hand. He was a beast, but he gained weight and didn't do anything in the pros. He was not known as a workout warrior or a hard worker off the field - he simply had that much talent.

I remember when he was a freshman and when it was his turn to get his reps, the upperclassmen defensive players who were resting, would actually focus their attention on him and want to watch him practice.

You are right, it's not a business deal. If it were we would be filing a lawsuit as oral contracts are binding.
I understand that most coaches play the game. Golden is one of those coach's that do not play this game.
I know it's only been a couple years with Golden but I don't think I remember a backed out oral commitment that Golden still hotly pursued.
Not his mode de guerre. Seems like when a prospect tells us **** you Golden looks back and says, "AMF."

At this point, what we do know is that Bryant has been solid to the Canes for a while. Early in the process there was talk of Bryant/Bostwick being the DT class. More recently, the staff has opened up their DT recruiting in a big way. A lot of names are popping up. Has Bryant said why he de-committed? There could be a few reasons. This game goes both ways. Coaches cool on committed kids all the time. Coaches cut kids all the time. I don't get all this righteous indignation directed at a 17 year old kid who by all accounts was all Cane until a few weeks ago.

There's only one certainty here: so far, this has been an overreaction.

Advertisement
Back